[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - Jul 2023

• 2 years later...

@jonsky7 - considering this seams to be the defacto thread that comes up when you search for monitor export it would be handy if you could add the latest options for exporting this using VR.

As you can now do this by...
1) Adding "VR_allow_MFD_out_of_HMD = true" to monitors.lua
2) Checking the box saying "Use DCS System Resolution" in the VR settings in DCS <- this NEEDs to be done, you can't just add the above line to the config for some reason

For whatever reason I'm unable to find any other mention of this being possible before I started looking into this other than the reddit thread link in my posts on this other thread.

• jonsky7 changed the title to [How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - Jul 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 9:24 PM, jonsky7 said:

I don't use VR myself but a nice find none-the-less

Where do add the line? Top, bottom, anywhere?

Cheers

Not 100% sure as I can't find any references to this anywhere other than what one guy said in reddit... but I have it working and it's the last line in my .lua file 👍

• Like 1

I have recently started flying the AJS-37 Viggen - what an incredible aircraft! Great fun! The Viggen has a targeting reticle that is used for Mavericks - it is old technology and an absolute arse to see anyhthing through, but I suppose it shouldn't be any other way. Unfortunately I'm a blind old git and I have to zoom right in and still squint at the screen to see anything. Before anyone suggests it, yes I have the brightness and contrast bound to my joystick.

I have a Cubesim MFD Screen that I have set up for the Schval in the Su-25T and I was thinking I could use the same for the aiming reticle in the AJS-37. Has anyone got a setup for this or can someone guide me regarding editing the LUA file. At the moment I am using the LUA supplied by the Cubesim guys (attached) when I bought the screen.

Thanks

Nial

CUBESIM.lua

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

20 minutes ago, Nialfb said:

I have recently started flying the AJS-37 Viggen - what an incredible aircraft! Great fun! The Viggen has a targeting reticle that is used for Mavericks - it is old technology and an absolute arse to see anyhthing through, but I suppose it shouldn't be any other way. Unfortunately I'm a blind old git and I have to zoom right in and still squint at the screen to see anything. Before anyone suggests it, yes I have the brightness and contrast bound to my joystick.

I have a Cubesim MFD Screen that I have set up for the Schval in the Su-25T and I was thinking I could use the same for the aiming reticle in the AJS-37. Has anyone got a setup for this or can someone guide me regarding editing the LUA file. At the moment I am using the LUA supplied by the Cubesim guys (attached) when I bought the screen.

Thanks

Nial

CUBESIM.lua 613 B · 0 downloads

I'm not at my computer right now so can't search the game files.

In the game files

Dcs world/mods/aircraft/ajs37/cockpit/scripts

Is there a folder for the EP-13 display?

If there is, in there should be a folder named display.

In the display folder you are looking for the init.lua file, if there is one.

Edit that file with

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua") 
try_find_assigned_viewport("EP13")

At the bottom.

If that works, you should be able to edit the monitor config file with a new export called EP13

Just be aware that modifying the init.lua file will break the integrity check on some multiplayer servers.

Good luck

Edited by jonsky7

Thanks
Nial

CUBESIM.lua
Hi! Do yourself a favour and get Helios. You can then pretty easily just drag and drop whatever you want to export, and Helios will write all the necessary files for you.
To be honest. In the Viggen I "cheat", the export is really "bad", kguess it's actually realistic). So I just export it to my main screen, close to were it is in the module.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

jonsky7 ... There isn't an EP-13 folder although I think it comes under the TV-indicator folder as far as I can tell. There are two sub-folders, Device and Indicator and neither has a display folder. I think I'll just carry on and squint at the screen! 🤣 Thanks anyway.

MAXsenna ... I tried a Google search for Helios and all I got was a million results with the word Helios in LOL

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

jonsky7 ... There isn't an EP-13 folder although I think it comes under the TV-indicator folder as far as I can tell. There are two sub-folders, Device and Indicator and neither has a display folder. I think I'll just carry on and squint at the screen! Thanks anyway.
MAXsenna ... I tried a Google search for Helios and all I got was a million results with the word Helios in LOL
Haha! Sorry for laughing. My bad, should have pointed you in the correct direction!

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/releases/tag/1.6.6030.1

There should be a dedicated thread in this forum somewhere. Input output?
It's pretty straight forward to install, and there are YT videos. Configure it the first time however, might be tricky, but this one should be easy enough for the first time.

2 hours ago, Nialfb said:

jonsky7 ... There isn't an EP-13 folder although I think it comes under the TV-indicator folder as far as I can tell. There are two sub-folders, Device and Indicator and neither has a display folder. I think I'll just carry on and squint at the screen! 🤣 Thanks anyway.

Ah, like I said I'm unable to view the files atm.

It will be the init.lua file in the indicator folder.

MAXsenna ... I've downloaded Helios, as you suggested, and I'v ehad a go at it. My thoughts that TV-indicator is th eviewport I needed seems to be correct except I can't actusly get it to work yet! I created a profile and managed to drop the required viewport onto the correct screen. I got a bit lost when it came to adding interfaces - I added my joystick and throttle and also the DCS AJS-37 interface but the screen doesn't populate when I go into DCS. Normally I can see my usual wallpaper on the screen but in DCS it now goes black so it is trying to do something. I am sure it's down to this interface thing. I'll keep at it but thanks for the info.

I also noticed that when I went into the Mission Editor I can't click on anything with the mouse because there is now an offset. I can see the offset when I drop a new plane into the mission - it gets dumped in away from where th emouse cursor is. This makes me think that the monitor position for the MFD is not correct.

MAXsenna ... I've downloaded Helios, as you suggested, and I'v ehad a go at it. My thoughts that TV-indicator is th eviewport I needed seems to be correct except I can't actusly get it to work yet! I created a profile and managed to drop the required viewport onto the correct screen. I got a bit lost when it came to adding interfaces - I added my joystick and throttle and also the DCS AJS-37 interface but the screen doesn't populate when I go into DCS. Normally I can see my usual wallpaper on the screen but in DCS it now goes black so it is trying to do something. I am sure it's down to this interface thing. I'll keep at it but thanks for the info.
Hi, I'll get back to you when I'm at my computer!

1 hour ago, Nialfb said:

I also noticed that when I went into the Mission Editor I can't click on anything with the mouse because there is now an offset. I can see the offset when I drop a new plane into the mission - it gets dumped in away from where th emouse cursor is. This makes me think that the monitor position for the MFD is not correct.

Can you post a screenshot of your screen arrangement in Windows?
I know what's wrong, it's easy to fix. Follow the procedure below, and you probably will understand what's going on. If you had watched the video I linked, I think you would have made it. 😉|

image.png

Don't add your joysticks, add additional viewports and install patches.

null

image.png

Add DCS monitor setup, and save the profile.

Make sure the green rectangle is around both screens in both In-Game View and Menus/Loading, but only have it blue background on the In-Game View, but make sure the MFD screen is (checked), and grey on the Menus/Loading.
Save the profile again.

image.png

Double click the MFD screen and then drag the Maverick display onto it. Adjust the size and position, and save again.

image.png

Boot up DCS. And set the total resolution for all your screens, and select the Helios profile.

image.png

image.png

Restart DCS. Remember, the MFD will be blank/black until you turn it on in the Viggen for the Mavs.

Cheers!

Hi MAXsenna, Here is my set-up ...

Screen layout.jpg

Additional Viewports.jpgMonitor Layout.jpgMonitor 1.jpgOptions.jpg

Helios lua.jpg

The interface status is all up to date and everything is green. I was watching some other install videos on YouTube and some had a line referring to Helios inserted in the export.lus file @ C:\Users\****\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts, but other install videos didn't mention it. Is there something I need to do in th eexport.lua file?

Many thanks

Nial

• Like 1

I just tried it again from scratch, I deleted the profile and the Helios.lua file. In DCS the side monitor goes black as expected but when I go into the mission editor I can't click on anything because there appears to be the offset I mentioned earlier. I manage to get a tooled up Viggen into the mission. When I arm the mavericks I get the TV illuminate but nothing on the second monitor.

• Like 1

I just tried it again from scratch, I deleted the profile and the Helios.lua file. In DCS the side monitor goes black as expected but when I go into the mission editor I can't click on anything because there appears to be the offset I mentioned earlier. I manage to get a tooled up Viggen into the mission. When I arm the mavericks I get the TV illuminate but nothing on the second monitor.
Hi again! Will read through your setup and comment. Just gotta help my daughter with setting up a dishwasher remotely. But first tip. DCS renders everything from left to right, so you absolutely want your second screen to the right of the main screen.
Cheers!

Edit: et put an @ before my username, then I get notified!

2 hours ago, Nialfb said:

The interface status is all up to date and everything is green. I was watching some other install videos on YouTube and some had a line referring to Helios inserted in the export.lus file @ C:\Users\****\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts, but other install videos didn't mention it. Is there something I need to do in th eexport.lua file?

Never mind that. That will only be for instruments export. Helios doesn't export MFDs. If you want to export instruments, Ikarus, ("same" as Helios), has a very nice profile.

@MAXsenna  ... Regarding the position of the monitors, I thought that was controlled by the lua file ...

image.jpeg

I bought my Cubesim screen specifically for the Schval in the Su-25T (which is on the right) when I first started in DCS and Garfileds instructions specifically said to set up th emonitors as follows, which is why my monitor is on the left3:

Also, I watched a long video of a guy setting up an F-18 using Helios and he had both the MFD screens to the left of his main screen. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking why it would make a difference if the lue file positions what goes on which screen. I tried editing the lua file so that the Viggen TV started at x = 3840, y = 0 and the main screen set to x = 0, y = 0 but that didn't work either. I think I'll do what you said and move the small screen to the right hand side and recreate the Helios profile.

Anyway, thanks for spending th etime on this, it's very much appreciated.

Regards

Nial

@MAXsenna  ... Regarding the position of the monitors, I thought that was controlled by the lua file ...
image.jpeg.4963b6a432fa99f1a79a8764ab1e63ee.jpeg
I bought my Cubesim screen specifically for the Schval in the Su-25T (which is on the right) when I first started in DCS and Garfileds instructions specifically said to set up th emonitors as follows, which is why my monitor is on the left3:

Also, I watched a long video of a guy setting up an F-18 using Helios and he had both the MFD screens to the left of his main screen. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking why it would make a difference if the lue file positions what goes on which screen. I tried editing the lua file so that the Viggen TV started at x = 3840, y = 0 and the main screen set to x = 0, y = 0 but that didn't work either. I think I'll do what you said and move the small screen to the right hand side and recreate the Helios profile.
Anyway, thanks for spending th etime on this, it's very much appreciated.
Regards
Nial
Nah, it's not wrong. Doesn't really matter. I remember why I do it this way. Is just easier with the math for me. Something else is missing. Can't spot it yet. At first clance everything looks fine.