M01 - Channel - Extreme turbulence and Xwind?

Just checking if this is normal, because it was waaay off from what I remember in most missions. Turblence over Biggen Hill was extreme. Orbiting with about 30 AoB, the turbulence would frequently knock me into 50+ AoB. 

The crosswind on landing was something else too. I'm guessing 10+ kts 70~80 degrees across the runway. RWY 30 would have been suitable, but for some reason all the AI were using RWY 04, so I (stupidly) followed them in and nearly flipped myself from the crosswind. Should I just ignore the AI and choose my own active that fits the wind conditions? 

Hi! The wind is around 10 knots from 330 true, that is 340 magnetic, that shouldn't be too much of a crosswind. Maybe challenging, yes, but nothing unrealistic. Whichever runway you use it won't impact the mission though. Which runway the AI uses that's hard coded into DCS.

Turbulence is 2 m/s, which is also quite realistic for late April. It's just that we're used to not having turbulence in DCS missions, but I'm a glider pilot and this is very important to me 🙂

I've always wondered what turbulence setting would be realistic. I must have been setting mine too mild, as I don't understand the units of measure being used there. I've had a few glider rides myself and never encounted such wing-rocking, yaw-inducing turbulence, but my local aerodrome is over flat, boring terrain, unlike Biggen Hill. Typically just bouncy in a vertical sense. 

I wonder why the AI are constantly using the wrong runways on the Channel map, though? I recall a while back even at High Halden the AI would use the same runway despite 90-degree crosswinds or even tail winds. 

Edited by Nealius

I think that's hard coded into the map.

1-2 m/s is quite average on a spring/summer day. On summer days with unstable air and squalls you may get 3-4 m/s too. Depending on the time of day too of course. I've taken all these into consideration when setting up the weather in my missions. As a rule of thumb, most missions use too little turbulence, though.

• Like 2

I have no idea of the unit of measurement in the ME, but if you hit 'fly mission' it will be displayed in the briefing in m/s. In my experience, 10-20 is light turbulence for early morning or evening, or calm autumn/ winter days. 30-40 is for average days, 50-60 is like a summer day with lots of thermal activity or a windy and sunny spring day, 70-80 for summer+ high noon over Nevada, and above for thunderstorms.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team
On 8/3/2021 at 4:24 PM, Nealius said:

I'll have to go through all my practice missions and increase the turbulence 😄

Except mine is in 0.1* feet/second.....any idea how the 0.1* notation works and how I can get it equivalent to 1~2m/s?

It's literally what it says, 1/10th times whatever you put in in ft/s. So if you put in 10, you get 1ft/s turbulence. To see what it corresponds to in m/s just switch your units to metric in options, or convert the units yourself - dividing by 3 gives you approximate value in m/s. So a value of 60 gives you 6ft/s or ~2m/s

• Like 2