Why is LTD/R automatically switching back to OFF

sirrah

I was wondering, can somebody explain to me why the LTD/R switch automatically returns to OFF, each time after successfully deploying an AGM-65E + ATFLIR lasing?

This means after each MAV fired, the pilot needs to first set LTD/R back to ARM and tick the "TRIG" button on the ATFLIR DDI, before doing a second run.

Not that I have a problem with that or anything, it just seems like an unnecessary action for the pilot who might already have his hands full on going defensive.

Is this some kind of extra safe guard to prevent not being able to use the trigger?

But if so, why not just automatically unbox the "TRIG" function on the DDI?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

14 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

It is to prevent the FLIR laser from being on too long and burning out.

Mobius708

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "burning out"? You mean comparable to what happens to a monitor without a screensaver?

I can imagine that, but why not just switch off the laser (and maybe unbox the "TRIG" function), but leave the LTD/R switch in ARMED?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "burning out"? You mean comparable to what happens to a monitor without a screensaver?

I can imagine that, but why not just switch off the laser (and maybe unbox the "TRIG" function), but leave the LTD/R switch in ARMED?

More or less.

The switch returning to the aft position is a physical indication that the laser is not armed. Realistically there is quite a bit of time between attack runs and flipping that switch each time is no big deal. Kinda like how there isn't a HOTAS option by default to select A/G.

Mobius708

• Thanks 1

Here you have more info about that feature
"Used to be an overheat issue with some pods, but no longer with the newer ones, but the logic remains.

Always do MALT check, master arm, A/G mode, Laser, TDC assigned to correct display. "

• Thanks 1

I asked the very same question a few days ago on FB and that´s the answer, to prevent overheating of the electronic stuff which creates the laser

• Thanks 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Check the L ARM indicator on the up section of the HUD, that's very helpful 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

26 minutes ago, evilnate said:

BTW you don’t need to touch TRIG when employing LMAV unless you want to lase manually.

Oh really? So it will autolase similarly to releasing LGB's?

But when I don't manually start lasing (so with the MAV crossed out on my HUD), will I still be able to launch my MAV?

Has this been changed at some point in the last few months/year? I can't recall that I noticed this all before.

System specs:

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

Has this been changed at some point in the last few months/year?

Exactly. Here's a tutorial of the current workflow for the AGM-65E, both auto and manual lasing modes:

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

16 hours ago, evilnate said:

Yeah hit weapon release to start laser fire. The second press will release the missile.

Just keep pickle button pressed.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 8/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, Shimmergloom667 said:

Just keep pickle button pressed.

Not if you want to control when the missile is launched.  I always use one press to lase and second press to fire.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Fair enough.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H