F10 map improvements

zerO_crash

I use the F10 map pretty much like the kneeboard with the ability to look around the map and plan the flight route ahead. On modules like Ka50 or A-10C, one can create virtual flight plans in the ABRIS or other digital maps. However, with modules that don´t have such a system, it would seem like the F10 map is the only way to plan ahead. Right now, the options are very limited, we only have a ruler and waypoints (can be placed but everyone sees them). It would be really nice if the F10 map could be expanded with the following:

- Waypoints, but private ones (no one else can see them). That way, other aviators won´t be removing your own waypoints by mistake, and the general map won´t be as clogged with the flight plan of every single participant. It would streamline the use of the F10 map, and give us the abilities to use it like a real map would be used.

- Draw actual lines and place figures on our own map (privately), that way we could actually create a flight plan with all the specified info that one would otherwise need for a successful flight. I´m thinking here about placing lines between waypoints and getting the same info that the ruller gives your right now (range + bearing). Having an ability to write text with regard to the flight-leg would be an immense upgrade, letting one specify all the needed info for that part of the flight. Also add a variety of symbols that one could use to further sketch a plan.

- Have a place in the F10 map where one could open a blank page and write on it. This would then be filled on a specific blank page in the kneeboard in the cockpit. Again, for any kind of flight info, be it weather-, flight- or combat-related.

- A built in calculator, so that one could calculate everything from flight length, to fuel usage. A calculator would stand in for otherwise using penn and paper and performing calculations oneself.

- Expand the ability of the ruller so that one could e.g. hold SHIFT-button, and create multiple legs with the ruler. It´s so simple, yet would immensely useful.

These are at least the immediate ideas I have, and find lacking for such a great simulation. I´ve been wanting this for many years now, as I´m sure others have too. In order to plan for a good flight, one needs the proper tools, and those are sadly severely lacking. Ultimately, I was thinking of creating literally a digital kneeboard (tablet) which one could use during the flight, which would give immense possibilities of flight planning. That while one sits in the cockpit (no need to change the view to F10 and be pulled out of immersion). The problem I find with that is that it wouldn´t fit in older scenarios, therefore I would presume that improving F10 should be priority as it can be used in pretty much any setting.

I hope there are plans for this, as it would be a huge upgrade to todays rather lacking F10 map.

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A very large portion of your wishlist can be met with some scratch paper, a pen, and a very cheap calculator from a local store (or your phone). With none of the wait on your part, or the development time needed. These are important "flight management" tools, and it sounds like you are reaching the level where you will use them.

1 hour ago, randomTOTEN said:

A very large portion of your wishlist can be met with some scratch paper, a pen, and a very cheap calculator from a local store (or your phone). With none of the wait on your part, or the development time needed. These are important "flight management" tools, and it sounds like you are reaching the level where you will use them.

Yes and no. What he's talking about is UI functions, which are far easier to create than other things often seen in the WIshlist. Such things could be created within a matter of weeks if ED devoted the resources to it. Funnily enough, this is another item that DCS could learn from ArmAIII with its map tools, since the ArmA map tools can basically do everything you just mentioned. It would also be helpful when creating a mission you can place some bits down so that you can accurately 'hide' the enemy on the F10 map, showing only your side, while having some markers that indicate the rough area that the enemy is likely to be.

For example, the mission maker has created a Scud Hunting mission, but the exact location of the Scuds is currently unknown. 'Intel' suggests that the Scuds could be in one of five locations (indicated by question marks the designer has put down). The pilots would then have to search those areas, and having them on the F10 map can be a bit easier since your location is still shown on the map.

25 minutes ago, Tank50us said:

For example, the mission maker has created a Scud Hunting mission, but the exact location of the Scuds is currently unknown. 'Intel' suggests that the Scuds could be in one of five locations (indicated by question marks the designer has put down). The pilots would then have to search those areas, and having them on the F10 map can be a bit easier since your location is still shown on the map.

???

Have you never played a DCS mission?

Nearly every mission currently supports your scenario. Right now. In the briefing image. It's now possible to add images to the in-game kneeboard with this information. There is no need to have this on the F10 map.

"Matter of weeks." uh yeah that's my point.

2 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

They are indeed flight planning tools, and pen & paper do help. That being said, UI excels at replacing pen & paper with more intuitive tools, and having that kind of planning integrated would be very welcome. Not to mention the fact that there still needs to be a convenient way to bring all your on-paper notes into the cockpit for VR users (like me) who do not take off their HMD to look at some paper. It would be much more convenient if the planning maps can be dynamically added to a kneeboard that we can access in-flight.

10 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

It sounds like I´ve reached that level many years ago! As you probably can imagine, pen and paper does not work very well with a VR-headset on! Therefore, thanks but no thanks, your suggestion has been considered and denied. If it was possible to run that setup like I used to before VR, then I would, but I suppose it was hard to deduce that from my request, that´s why I´m outlining it so clearly for you now.

"Flight management" - look at that, you even learned a new expression in aviation!

I forgive you for not having the capacity to see other points of view, but don´t assume that everyone flies on servers where you can see yourself and the opposing faction. I suggest you join in once in a while on a HC-server where you are not being held by your hand, and that in a non-digital module. Maybe then you´ll understand what an improvement it would be to have those additions in!

Otherwise I don´t really see what the point with your comment is. It subtracts from the discussion of a relevant request to improve the F10 map as a much more advanced tool in the space of DCS, and to further the realism of this simulator. The token of a level discussion is that its participants first think, then contribute, not the other way around.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]