Using DCS aircraft to simulate an earlier version/past conflict

Gambit21

Using DCS aircraft to simulate an earlier version/past conflict  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Using the provided Viper or Hornet (for instance) to simulate an older version and conflict, meaning period appropriate loadouts (mostly dumb munitions) no data link etc.

• Yes, I would find this appealing, as it increases accessibility, or simply because I enjoy deploying dumb munitions, bombs, rockets etc. I have no problem with this.
    • No, I'd rather content creators give me all of the capability provided with the module in question. Having a blank SA page for instance would bother me.

I currently have a few campaigns under early development.

I'm thinking of setting the conflict in the early 90's, and exploring from a few different platforms, including the Viper and Hornet, and later the F-15E

Syria map.

This means mostly dumb munitions, rockets, a maverick here and there or perhaps an LGB...no JDAM/JSOW, no data link etc.

My vision is a set of fully 'real' yet highly accessible campaigns. Basically with knowledge of cold start, radio, navigation and dumb bombing/gun and the maverick you can complete most of the missions. Think Desert Storm era.

I have the option to pivot and move forward in time, (and frankly to fit the Apache in I may do this) but I'd like to get a few opinions. While I know a poll like this gets a very small data set, if I get 6 responses and they all say..."Um...no" then I have some idea that I should alter this plan a bit and move forward to 06-07.

The Apache seems a tough animal to pull this off with, so this may make the decision for me...TBD.

Devs if you would kindly leave this here a few days before moving, this data although limited is important to my production/decision making.

Thank you.

• Like 3

I currently have a few campaigns under early development.
I'm thinking of setting the conflict in the early 90's, and exploring from a few different platforms, including the Viper and Hornet, and later the F-15E
Syria map.

This means mostly dumb munitions, rockets, a maverick here and there or perhaps an LGB...no JDAM/JSOW, no data link etc.
My vision is a set of fully 'real' yet highly accessible campaigns. Basically with knowledge of cold start, radio, navigation and dumb bombing/gun and the maverick you can complete most of the missions. Think Desert Storm era.

I have the option to pivot and move forward in time, (and frankly to fit the Apache in I may do this) but I'd like to get a few opinions. While I know a poll like this gets a very small data set, if I get 6 responses and they all say..."Um...no" then I have some idea that I should alter this plan a bit and move forward to 06-07.

The Apache seems a tough animal to pull this off with, so this may make the decision for me...TBD.

Devs if you would kindly leave this here a few days before moving, this data although limited is important to my production/decision making.

Thank you.
Yes please!!!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any opposition to trying to simulate earlier version of an airframe, but you could also just use them as is with dumb weapons. Perhaps a situation where a war has gone on for a long time and guided munitions have started to run dry.

Either way the older weapons are just as fun as the newer ones to use, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

5 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

I don't have any opposition to trying to simulate earlier version of an airframe, but you could also just use them as is with dumb weapons. Perhaps a situation where a war has gone on for a long time and guided munitions have started to run dry.

Coming up with a narrative where the smart weapons are just in short supply is an option. 🙂

• Like 1

I often make missions where my A-10/F-16/FA-18/SU-25/etc flies with only 2 MK-82's /84's/FAB-250's/etc . I think of the mission as part of a forgotten front  war at the end of a LOOOONG supply chain. Make you ensure every shot counts.....

Exorcet's idea would add an interesting aspect to your campaign creation.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Exorcet said:

Many times older weapons are more fun to use because their employment requires skills, manual aiming, maneuvering to specific position, dodging enemy fire etc. And allow to see the destruction of the targets.

• Like 2

I really enjoy modeling mission scenarios taking place pre-1992 or so. For me, it’s more about the lack of detailed electronic warfare than ease of use of weapons. In reality, attacking an integrated SA-10 (s-300) site without EW support is a bad idea. So it’s hard setting up a realistic modern AD system if we don’t have one of the major capabilities to destroy it. If the bad guys can’t have a realistic (or close) modern AD system, it’s too easy to lob JDAMs. 

so, I prefer a few SA-10s supported by older SA-6s, SA-11’s etc more representative of a mid 80’s environment. So fair is fair. Limit their systems, Limit mine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bies said:

Many times older weapons are more fun to use because their employment requires skills, manual aiming, maneuvering to specific position, dodging enemy fire etc. And allow to see the destruction of the targets.

I can understand why some people hold this opinion but I feel like it's pretty similar across time. While new weapons are more capable, the enemy usually gets them too, so the difficulty of combat ends up staying about the same. You need to make use of the newer tech just to stay alive. And they still require skill to use, just a different set of skills. Someone with no experience using AMRAAM will repeatedly be destroyed by another pilot that knows what the missile is capable of. Likewise, just because someone is carry JDAM's doesn't mean their immune to advanced SAM's or can outrage fighters carrying long range missiles.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Thank you for the replies and response so far.

The idea is to only provide content that increases accessibility without giving up anything in the realism department, but also provide an exciting experience that emphasizes 'flying' and less 'airborne systems operation', to the extent possible with the platform. Low altitude ingress, more 'put the thing on the thing' flying. 

Also comms are a bit more engaging/less structured if you go back a bit, so this appeals to me as well from a creative standpoint.

I did get some feedback from one of my Viper SME's, and LGB's were in use during this time frame, but there's plenty of room for creative license in any case, even if I did go later.

I can turn off emissions in the editor which takes care of the Data Link, so you have AIC (scripted) and your radar.

That's the vision at this point...build is underway but I need to make time-frame decision soon...placing ground assets soon/SAMs etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

I can understand why some people hold this opinion but I feel like it's pretty similar across time. While new weapons are more capable, the enemy usually gets them too, so the difficulty of combat ends up staying about the same. You need to make use of the newer tech just to stay alive. And they still require skill to use, just a different set of skills. Someone with no experience using AMRAAM will repeatedly be destroyed by another pilot that knows what the missile is capable of. Likewise, just because someone is carry JDAM's doesn't mean their immune to advanced SAM's or can outrage fighters carrying long range missiles.

I think he means more 'down in the weeds', 'old fashioned', drop the bomb down the enemies throat', jink like hell, get out of Dodge kind of flying.

This is more of the flavor I want, rather than 15 thousand feet 'dial a shack' which is great in real life and your LIFE is actually on the line, and it's a real job etc etc. 

For my purposes/vision though - creatively I find this less appealing both to build for and fly. I need to find plausible reasons to get the player low and in those valleys etc...going back in time a bit makes this a more plausible. A narrative about a Russian-assisted IADS and gnarly super-MEZ will do the rest. 🙂

• Like 3

I have several missions set in the cold war period using more modern jets, but with restricted weaponry available.  I think that it's an interesting alternative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Ideally I'd love to see an F-teen A or an early (gulf war) era F-teen C included with the respective mods but if eagle for what ever reason decides that isn't an option, and has no desire to do those as separate modules, then at least limit us to period correct stores in historical mode

• Like 2