two questions for Mirage

ggoodavish

1.  I saw a picture of the Mirage on the ground with a boarding ladder (on Chuck's guide).  Is that available?  What key brings the ladder out?

2.  I saw a you tube video by the Grim Reapers on the Mirage, showing the VTB display on the glareshield on the helmet.  Could not find out how to get that.  He suggested lowering the sunshield and pressing V.  Nothing happened.  Is this available?

I believe the ladder shows when you first spawn in, at least it used to.  It disappeared over a short amount of time or once you do something in startup, I'm not sure what triggered it.  It might be a static aircraft setting, like the remove before flight items on the MiG-21.  I don't play in the editor, much.

I'm not sure if that option is still available to put the VTB on the helmet, I did it once I saw that video, too.  The lowering of the shield still works, I use it for immersion, search for "Visor" in the controls.

Edited by Britchot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

11 hours ago, ggoodavish said:

2.  I saw a you tube video by the Grim Reapers on the Mirage, showing the VTB display on the glareshield on the helmet.  Could not find out how to get that.  He suggested lowering the sunshield and pressing V.  Nothing happened.  Is this available?

Perhaps you're thinking of "VTB Viewport ON/OFF" that shows a VTB overlay in the top right of the screen (IIRC it's not bound to a key by default).

Screen_210803_172507.jpg

IIRC the graphical effect of raising/lowering the helmet sun visor was removed as it didn't cover the players full field of view in VR.

AFAIK the Mirage's visor has never display the VTB by itself and VTB export is purely a DCS option to help playability/readability of the VTB.

Viewing the Grim Reaper's video confirms he used the VTB Viewport, https://youtu.be/xHnRi1RVYCM

Tested Open Beta 2.7.4.9847

Edited by Ramsay
Add video link
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Il 4/8/2021 at 03:03, ggoodavish ha scritto:

:Thank you for the clarification.  I assigned that feature to the V key, and it works with or without the glareshield.  Very cool!

This will go away in the future though. Mirage 2000 has no helmet mount display, and what we have now it's just a bug of the VTB export to an external display when there's no other display available. It will be fixed in the future (not high priority though)

On 8/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, =36=Witcher said:

what we have now it's just a bug of the VTB export to an external display when there's no other display available. It will be fixed in the future (not high priority though)

Shame, it's been along standing "feature" of the module, I always assumed it was Razbam's version the A-10C's “Hud Only View” where MFD's appear in the bottom left and bottom right corners of the screen.

AFAIK only the Grim Reaper's ever misidentified the Mirage's VTB export as a helmet display.

It's not a cheat as not everyone has the space/money for a home built cockpit with 2-5 displays, etc. or have the eyesight to easily the read the VTB.

IMHO just because something is accessible doesn't make it "bad" and VTB readability shouldn't be restricted to those with the biggest wallets because someone else's realism might be offended.

I thought this debate had been put to bed years ago (an export isn't a cheat if it's presenting the same info as the real cockpit and single monitor and multi-monitor viewport exports should be equally equivalent/valid) but it seems not.

Really disappointed if Razbam are considering putting time and effort into making viewport exports less useful/easy for single monitor users.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, =36=Witcher said:

This will go away in the future though ...  It will be fixed in the future (not high priority though)

Do you have a source for this info or are you simply speculating ?

Edited by Ramsay
Not clear if "=36=Witcher" has official info or is simply speculating..
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 8/5/2021 at 6:28 AM, =36=Witcher said:

This will go away in the future though. Mirage 2000 has no helmet mount display

I really hope it will go away soon, as it is unrealistic as hell.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I really hope it will go away soon, as it is unrealistic as hell.

What is, Viewport export ?

I play using a 40" TV, is that realistic ?

What makes the Mirage's VTB export particularly egregious, the fact that it works and is useful, or that others don't play the same way as you ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

What is, Viewport export ?

The use of the VTB as a Helmet Mounted Display is unrealistic.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg