Doing TTQ again after a few years, question about altimeter setting

ZeroReady

First mission, ATC gives the pressure as 2833. Setting that on the altimeter puts me at 0ft baro elevation even though Vaziani is at 1519 feet. 2992 would be correct with the altimeter reading 1519 on the ground. I feel like if I set 2833 I will be failed for being 1500 feet too high if there are altitude restrictions. 

Am I wrong in thinking that the barometric altimeter should always read elevation above MSL not ground? We have a radar alt for elevation above ground.

We have it on good authority (I'll have to dig up that thread reference) that actual A-10 pilots never touch their altimeter and leave it at 2992 for the duration of their flight. 

That being said the altitude triggers are based on that notion so if you leave it at 2992 and instructions say to fly at Angels 8 then your altimeter should read 8,000.

Also the practice missions start in the air with the altimeter set to 2992 so you won't have to adjust anything until you want to land.

As an fyi at Nellis AFB you actually can't adjust the altimeter to zero on the tarmac because the starting elevation is too high. 

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• 1 year later...

I come back on this question since I just started the campaign. I tried the first mission and got called for "check your altitude" almost all the time. I kept altimeter at 29.92 then was between 8000 and 9000 on TC IRIS and GOPHER and he kept calling me on it untill I went higher than 9000

same on TC Oscar when leaving the VTA... I got called out when I was below 7000 when the briefing seems to say to fly between 6000 and 7000

do I need to set altimeter to the 2833? or am I missunderstanding the briefing docs?

Yes try it at 2833 as per the docs because Vaziani is about 1400+ feet above sea level and you are below the transition altitude of FL90 (9000').  Here is some info about the Transition Levels for Tbilisi region:

https://airnav.ge/eaip/2020-09-24-AIRAC/html/eAIP/UG-ENR-1.7-en-GB.html

If it's still a problem we will retest as ED may have made some game engine changes that effected the altitude and we can correct the trigger values in an update.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

2833 works.

would be nice if they decided once for all on how they make it work... sometimes you need to keep 2992 to work, then they update and you have to go QFE. Then they update and you have to go QNH then they update and it's FL again...

clearly not fun for you devs I bet.

Edited by Mermoz
  • Like 1