native pixel density vs supersampling in vr: what is more taxing for gpu?!?

doclucio

hi guys, i am upgrading my system and the only thing i have not planned to upgrade till now ismy valve index.

My question is easy, i want as much fps and visual clarity possible, so:

is better upgrading my index with a reverb g2 or

stay with my index and use supersampling for visual quality?!?

i mean for the gpu is less taxing keeping reverb g2 at 100% steam vr or is less taxing my index with 140% supersampling?!?

they are not equal values,  an in game PD1.2 is not equal to 120% in steam super sampling , in fact a PD of 1.1 is broadly equivalent to the number of pixels of SS 120%, a PD of 1.5 is the equivalent of SS 205% (see the attached spreadsheet for the math.

To answer your question as far as I can tell in a like for like measurement of total number of pixels driven ... there is no difference in using PD or SS ... However I leave PD at 1.0 and adjust SS because it gives a more granular control over the outcome, HTH

PDSSCalc.zip

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, doclucio said:

hi guys, i am upgrading my system and the only thing i have not planned to upgrade till now ismy valve index.

i mean for the gpu is less taxing keeping reverb g2 at 100% steam vr or is less taxing my index with 140% supersampling?!?

IMHO a higher native device resolution trumps raising a lower native resolution device via SS.

If you have the complete Index kit ( controllers and base stations) already then another good option for you might be looking at the Vive Pro 2 headset only. Index controllers and base stations work great with it. It will give you better clarity even down-sampling some for DCS. I have the Index and Reverb G2 as well and right now I prefer my Vive Pro 2. Previously I was using the Reverb G2 for flight sims and Index for other made for VR games with the controllers. Now I am back to just one headset with the Vive Pro 2.

I run my Vive Pro 2 at full resolution in Steam VR and .7 Pixel Density in DCS. With high GFX settings I can maintain 45 fps and it looks very good.

Alternatively Reverb G2 would be a great option over the Index as well - for just flight sims.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 hours ago, doclucio said:

I have found it to be much better to go from a headset with lower resolution to one with higher resolution.  Higher native resolution is far less taxing on your system than artificially approximating that same resolution with supersampling.  Its more than just the number of pixels with supersampling or DCS PD.  Both require an up-conversion to the higher effective resolution, followed by a down-conversion to make it display properly on a given screen.  That uses up extra processor clock cycles.  Not to mention the fact that supersampling on your Index may tell you that its producing the same resolution as a Reverb G2, but when you compare the two, side-by-side, you'll see that the G2s clarity is much better...with better performance because you won't have to use as much supersampling to make it look better than the Index ever could. 

Edited by eaglecash867
  • Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: