How to Optimize/Dedicate an SSD for DCS ~ Questions

I just purchased a 500gb SSD, installed the card in the computer, and have booted up the computer.

HOW DO I:

1.  Initialize the new SSD to run ED's DCS  the best possible way

2. Does windows need its own partition to speed up ops?

3. Can DCS be copied to the new SSD (without download hundreds of gigs of maps and modules)

4. Any special tips and tricks, for a smooth game

thanks for your time.

1. Nothing will save you AFAIK

2. No, it just needs to be on SSD. If you want to go all the way -- it can have a different SSD. Swap file should also be located on SSD. 

3. Of course. Just remember to point the Steam game directory to said folder. 

4. The game is in a permanent photo mode. As such, you can't have a smooth game on a normal PC without server hardware (now more than ever, with 32GB RAM recommended and some witnesses reporting even more is actually necessary), but you can have a smoother game. Yet it requires tricks like disabling some shaders and such, which may cause multiplayer unavailability. 

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

7 hours ago, Bartacomus said:

I just purchased a 500gb SSD, installed the card in the computer, and have booted up the computer.

HOW DO I:

1.  Initialize the new SSD to run ED's DCS  the best possible way

2. Does windows need its own partition to speed up ops?

3. Can DCS be copied to the new SSD (without download hundreds of gigs of maps and modules)

4. Any special tips and tricks, for a smooth game

thanks for your time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 500 Gb may not be enough.

I found this out the hard way. I have a large install with lots of modules. (317 Gb including 32 Gb of virtual memory)

I was at 288 Gb and the next update said I didn't have enough space. The update process uses a lot of temp files,

so it is actually larger than the final amount of stuff that's actually installed.

If you want to grow, you will need more space. 1 Tb minimum. I had to bite the bullet and 

cough up $130 bucks just a month ago. This game keeps on growing so we need to be prepared.

You can initialize the drive in "Disk Management"  (LWin + X)

Initialize first and then create a new volume (GPT format is best)

You can then just copy and paste the entire game folder. Don't forget to add at least 32 Gb of virtual memory.

When complete, open the bin folder, right click on DCS.exe and "Send To" desktop.

GL & HF, Ray

BTW, my saved games folder, which is on my C drive is 100 gigs. 

Edited by rayrayblues
typo, additional thoughts

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

7 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

I dont keep all my modules on board, i found my brain isnt big enough.  A couple maps and 3 modules is okay by me.  Can i go back and add virtual memory after the format?  i just skipped that part?  i think it gave a prompt for 8gig, and i just closed the window.  Is this going to speed up of slow down my experience?

You can initialize the drive in "Disk Management"  (LWin + X)

Initialize first and then create a new volume (GPT format is best)

You can then just copy and paste the entire game folder. Don't forget to add at least 32 Gb of virtual memory.

When complete, open the bin folder, right click on DCS.exe and "Send To" desktop.

GL & HF, Ray

BTW, my saved games folder, which is on my C drive is 100 gigs. 

• 2 months later...

Pan Pan Pan. Somehow I have a couple copies going. DCS World 271GB and Eagle Dynamics 150GB. With DCS World here and in the Eagle Dynamics folder. I would like to organize the 500GB SSD, "G", and use the DCS Updater Utility, but I am not too proficient. I re-installed DCS on 10/8 as a result of having accidentally deleted it. Now my G drive is full of extra DCS. I placed a couple of screen shots below. I copied the Eagle Dynamics folder to 'E" drive, thinking it's the superfluous file. I don't want to lose any game time by pulling the plug so I'm asking.

Would a brother help this old Marine Aviator? Thanks in advance. Herk

2021-10-12.png

2021-10-12.png