DCS via Quest 2 - Oculus Link - Steam VR; 6900xt (AMD) settings/experiences/artifacts/FSR Mod

RoboHackfeld

I think I need to open an own topic so maybe more people with similar hardware and problems can find it.

So I just found a solution for a stuttering/double effect problem when flying low and looking to the ground. This one runs "fine" now. ASW to 45 (non forced) was the key but those artifacts (I would despcripe it as wigglywobbly) are horrible. I think if they implement ASW 2.0 in DCS one day we'll get rid of that. Or is there already a special Oculus Link Version or maybe Tray Tool Version (my current version is 0.87.0.4) where those Artifacts get better? In the F18 its not a big deal but in the F14 the artifact/wobble effect is really bad...

Coming to the main point.... I still think there is a performance issue related to some settings. Benchmark for my 6900xt in 3d Mark (TimeSpy) says 20.487pts GPU Score which I think is really good.

I mean is anyone here flying with Oculus Quest 2 and 6900xt/6800xt? I would really like to compare what are the experiences from other people because I expect much more quality from this card.

Specs beside the 6900xt:

My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 and I have 32GB of 3200Mhz Ram.

DCS Installed to a Samsung evo 970 M.2 SSD

All supplied by a 850W bequiet Straight Power 11 PSU and a MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max with newest Bios and SAM activated.

I run DCS via Oculus Link (cable) -> SteamVR -> DCS

Mods:

Reshade;

ShaderMod;

FSR (res. 0.77 ultra quality; sharpness 0.7)

Settings:

Oculus Link:

90Hz;

Slider to 0.9 (SS)

Oculus Tray Tool:

PD: 0

ASW: 45hz (non forced) if I go to low level flight otherwise OFF

Resolution: 3686

Bitrate: 500bit

Destortion curve: Low

SteamVR:

Resolution per Eye (DCS): 3100*3100

DCS:

Details: High

Terain Details: High

Shadows: Medium

Visible Range: High

Water: Medium

Trafic: OFF

MSAA: x4

SSA and Stuff: OFF

Heat Blur: OFF

Motion Blur: OFF

Lense Effect: Off

Prerendered Range: 10.000

Smoke: 0.7

Trees: Full

Details Trees: 0.1

AF: x8

Rain Droplets: On

VSynch: OFF

PD: 1.0

With all that settings and mods I get a decent 45-50 FPS  Experience in F-18 Freeflight/singleplayer but it does not really look good and I think with this hardware there should be more possible.

I have to say, if I disable MSAA the quality is really bad. I know this one is a huge "FPS Dropper" but I dont really understand how people can run DCS without it. The lines are jaggy as hell. Maybe there is some settings that do similar thing and are not that hungry I dont know yet.

Didnt change a lot in the AMD Drivers so far, just the minimum Clock from 500 to 2000MHz. Maybe here is someone who made some experiences with the Adrenalin Software and several settings. Every slider I turned ON like Sharpness, Ensynch, Chill didnt seem to take any effect.

Question to the FSR Mod:

Before I installed the FSR Mod I ran DCS in Steam VR with 2800*2800/eye with MSAA x2. It looked so much better but the performance was worse. (36-45fps)

So what is the FSR Mod doing? If I understand that right you get, in my case, 0.77 resolution what in my opinion is nothing else than 77% of my current resolution. So why not just reduce the resolution? I think there is something I dont understand yet.

Small maths excourse:

With my current settings and with my understanding I get like, 3100*3100 * 0.77 = 7.399.700, pixels per eye. (Supersamling SteamVR)

Why using a mod and not set the resolution manually, in this case: 2720*2720 = 7.398.400 pixels per eye. (Supersamling SteamVR)

Does the mod do something more? People always tell me, use it it gets you more fps, but I don't get it why it should without loosing any quality.

I think I have to ran some more tests with that but maybe someone can explaine.

General question and maybe discussion topic for other people with similar hardware:

The main thing is, how do I get the best experience, like stable 55fps (to be sure its always over 45) with good optic and in the best case without anny wigglywobbly ASW Effect. I know this question is old and it will never happen but it should get any better.

What AMD Settings where successfull?

Is SteamVR the Issue or in general the Steam version of DCS?

What experiences you guys made with the combination Oculus, AMD, DCS, SteamVR?

Sorry, I know this is alot but I hope we will find a solution and that it not only helps me. Be free to share experiences for everyone out there.

Robo

Edited by RoboHackfeld

Well it's Milestone Time. 😄

Yesterday I got as close to the result I was looking for. After I tried Virtual Desktop I was a litte disappointed. The look was, no matter the settings, always like "muddy".

SSW does work very well and FB should really work on that becaus its by far the best SW technique I've seen so far.

After that I tried DCS Steam Edition directly via Oculus Link without SteamVR. After another evening of settings and restarting the game several times I got a result, I would say, I've never ever seen DCS this crispy, nice and hey, DCS does have straight lines! 😄

Settings:

Oculus Link:
80Hz/90Hz
Slider all to the right (around 5200*2100)

Oculus Tray Tool
Super Sampling: 1.3
FOV: 0,8/0,8 (Dont see a real difference to 1/1 and its a huge improevment in FPS)
ASW: 45 (Off for real FPS Check)
Resolution: 3646 (max in drop down)
Bitrate: 500
Destortion Curve: Low

With the Debug Tool I always checked if the changes were made.

DCS:
Details: High
Terain Details: High
Water: Medium
Range: High
Shadows: Medium
MSAA x4
Trafic OFF

Trees: Full
Tree Details: low
Szenery Details: 0.7
Prerender: 10k

AF: x16

PD: 1.3 like Tray Tool (which is now loke 1.3*1.3=1.65=169 %)

And wow. I now get 45-60 FPS and have an optic I've never had before. I was completely stucked with SteamVR and always thought, this is the way to go. I think if I got an optic with steamVR what was very close to what I have now I had like 28-36 FPS.

So huuuge improvement if you dont use SteamVR. Without saying SteamVR is shit but the combination DCS, SteamVR, Oculus and maybe AMD Cards does not work proplery for me.

So I hope this will help other people, messing around with DCS Optic, Oculus and AMD 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to see you yielding so much performance and clarity with your settings. Is there a specific reason you bumped AF to x16? In all of my tests (also with 6900XT but then paired to Reverb G2) it is a major performance hog in my case. I've settled with 2x or 4x for performance gain vs quality. Do you use Reshade also?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

thats very odd, AF makes almost no difference to me ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, -Shai- said:

But how to start nonSteam DCSW without SteamVR, if this SteamVR loads automatically on DCS startup?

If you have an Oculus headset, you don't need steamVr. All you need is to make sure that the oculus app is on your computer that’s all (it starts automatically with dcs)

nVidia user here

On 8/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, RoboHackfeld said:

Shader I dont use because its not possible if you start DCS via Oculus Link.

You can, you just have to use OpenComposite, which is a bypass to run SteamVR API over Oculus without running SteamVR, getting a better performance, you have to launch the DCS with SteamVR API, if you have standalone, add --force_steam_VR to launch options. Here you have OpenComposite, you just have to overwrite OpenVR DLL on DCS Bin folder:

OpenComposite Download

Is what i use and works flawesly

@RoboHackfeld maybe you want to try these settings:

Oculus PC software:

- 90 Hz

- PD 1.6 (just one step before max)

Oculus Debug Tools or TryTools

- Encode resolution: 3920 (you have to type it)

- Encode bitrate: 500

- 45hz (ASW enabled)

- PD 0 (if not 0 this will sum to Oculus PC Software PD)

DCS

- Traffic: low

- Textures: high

- Ground textures: high

- Water: medium

- Range: high

- Shadows: high

- Heatblur: low

- MSAA: 2x

- SSAA: off

- SSLR: off

- Motion blur: off

- DOF: off

- AF: 8x

- Ground shadows: Plain

- Tree range: 80%

- Preload: 75000

- Tree detail: 0.8

- Structure detail: 0.8

- Waterdrop: on

- Cockpit global illumination: on

- Grass: 1000

- VR PD: 1.0

This with the use of OpenComposite and Reshade CAS to correct colors and add sharpness gets me great detail and 45 fps (90 with ASW).

About encode glitches, i get almost no glitches but i have to say that prior to upgrade 1080ti to 3080ti i get much more graphic glitches but, as expected, once i installed 3080ti almost fixed that cause encoder on RTX 30 are better than the one on GTX 10, maybe the encoders on RDNA2 are more like GTX 10 ones

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier