Russian gunsight symbology T-55 and BMP-2 - what is what?

Volator

On 8/5/2021 at 12:25 PM, Pilot Ike said:

Hi,

can someone help me with the Russian gunsight symbology? Which column is for which ammo types? I made some tests, and with the T-55 I have a theory, but for the BMP-2 that was inconclusive.

So for the T-55, you need the the most left one and the two most right scales. The ranging marks on the left are for HE. The marks on the right are for the AP rounds. The second scale, from right to left, is for your coaxial machine gun.

For the BMP, the left side is for Armor Piercing. ПКТ is your machine gun and ОФЗ is your HE shell.

So obviously, different vehicles use different ammunition types (HE, HEFS, HEAT, HEATFS, AP, APHE, APDS, APFSDS, etc.), but at the same time, at least as they are depicted in soviet vehicles, they might be called different names. What I am trying to say is that APDS might be marked one way in one vehicle and another way in another.

ОФ (OF) = Осколочно-фугасные (High Explosive). Don't know what ПОЛН (POLN) would stand for here. Maybe that it is full caliber, instead of sub-caliber, I don't know.

БР (BR) = Б
ронебойные (Armor Piercing). In this case, they are talking about a solid AP shot. 412Д (412D) is the name of this solid AP munition. (You can use the War Thunder wiki in Russian and English to quickly find reference to what is what). 412D is supposed to be an APCBC(Armor Piercing Capped Ballistic Cap) round.

I don't know what exactly БК (BK) stand for, as seen in the T-55 gunner optic, but if I was to guess, it would be a scale for HEAT rounds. I am basing that on the fact that there are already scales for basically all other types of munition (Solid AP, HE, SABOT, Coax.). To my knowledge there are no HEAT tank rounds modelled in DCS. БК could stands for Бронебойные Kумулятивные, which in a direct translation would be AP HEAT. It could also be a reference to the name of the HEAT-FS round, which the T-55 used, the ЗБК17М.

ГТ (GT) is also a mystery to me. I do know that it represents the coaxial machine gun ranging scale. The Т below ГТ most probably stands for Трассирующий (Tracer round). The T in ГТ  is probably there to indicate that whatever Г is, it is the tank variant of that. Г might mean Горюнова (СГ-43 пулемёт Горюнова), which is supposedly the machine gun, which was used in the T-55 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG-43_Goryunov).

Подк (Podk) = Подкалиберные (SABOT/Sub-caliber). It is not clear if they mean APDS or APFSDS, as the T-55 had used both. In DCS, that would be what is described as AP round in the GUI.

Shifting to the BMP gunner optic, we already know what БР stands for. ОФЗ (OFZ) = Осколочно-фугасные зажигательный (HE-Incendiary) and ПКТ (PKT) = Пулемёт Калашникова, Танковый (The tank modification of the Kalashnikov machine gun).

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

2 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Sub-calibre, presumably DCS uses the 3BM25 APFSDS-T round though there's also the 3BM8 APDS-T round.

That was in reference to what is written under the HE ranging marks (ОФ/ПОЛН). As far as I know, there is no such thing as sub-caliber HE.

'Shadow'

8 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

That was in reference to what is written under the HE ranging marks (ОФ/ПОЛН). As far as I know, there is no such thing as sub-caliber HE.

Ignore the above post, I was being fat fingered on the keyboard.

In any case it would stop this confusion from happening in the first place if DCS was just less vague with how it names stuff (and this isn't the only thing either).

Personally, instead of 100mm HE or 100mm AP (the former could mean HEAT-FS-T, or HEF-T, the latter could mean APCBC-HE-T or APDS-T, or APFSDS-T), actually define the round and what it is i.e 3BM25 APFSDS-T, 3BK5M HEAT-FS-T.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

As far as I've noticed all tank APFSDS rounds are labeled as AP in the user interface. I did find it quite funny, when I saw that the Warrior APC AP rounds are actually labeled as APFSDS. 

It was also a pleasant surprise to discover that they had given a little bit more detail to the Warrior, calling its AP APDS, as well as the ZSU-57 rounds HE-T and APCBC-HE-T.

What would also be nice if the BMP-2, or in general all vehicle, which use that gun get a newer round, because by the test I've done so far, it looks like it has its solid AP round, which does not allow it to be competitive against armor like the frontal one on the Bradley.

'Shadow'

6 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

So for the T-55, you need the the most left one and the two most right scales. The ranging marks on the left are for HE. The marks on the right are for the AP rounds. The second scale, from right to left, is for your coaxial machine gun.

For the BMP, the left side is for Armor Piercing. ПКТ is your machine gun and ОФЗ is your HE shell.

Thank you!

Funnily enough the DCS T-55 and the DCS BMP-2 do not have coaxial machine guns, but they are not the first ground units that are missing those. So ED got the symbology right, but not the weapon config.

Edited by Pilot Ike

13 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

Thank you!

Funnily enough the DCS T-55 and the DCS BMP-2 do not have coaxial machine guns, but they are not the first ground units that are missing those. So ED got the symbology right, but not the weapon config.

They do. Look up your key for "Fire Secondary Weapon".

I don't know why some coaxes are used with that command and others are used by selecting them with "Turret weapon select".

When using the secondary weapon command, unfortunately you cannot see how many rounds you have left.

• Like 1

'Shadow'

1 hour ago, Shadow KT said:

They do. Look up your key for "Fire Secondary Weapon".

I don't know why some coaxes are used with that command and others are used by selecting them with "Turret weapon select".

When using the secondary weapon command, unfortunately you cannot see how many rounds you have left.

Ahh, that's why... I'm dumbfounded about the many things I don't know about CA. :blush:

Thanks again.

• Like 1

05.08.2021 в 17:51, Shadow KT сказал:

ОФ (OF) = Осколочно-фугасные (High Explosive).

Yes.

Don't know what ПОЛН (POLN) would stand for here. Maybe that it is full caliber, instead of sub-caliber, I don't know.

ПОЛН = полный заряд (full propelling charge).

БР (BR) = Бронебойные (Armor Piercing). In this case, they are talking about a solid AP shot. 412Д (412D) is the name of this solid AP munition.

Yes.

БК could stands for Бронебойные Kумулятивные, which in a direct translation would be AP HEAT.

Yes.

The Т below ГТ most probably stands for Трассирующий (Tracer round).

No.

Т = тяжёлая пуля (7.62×54mmR 57-D-422 & 57-D-423 heavy bullets).

The T in ГТ  is probably there to indicate that whatever Г is, it is the tank variant of that. Г might mean Горюнова (СГ-43 пулемёт Горюнова)…

Yes.

Подк (Podk) = Подкалиберные (SABOT/Sub-caliber).

Yes.

It is not clear if they mean APDS or APFSDS…

APDS.

Shifting to the BMP gunner optic, we already know what БР stands for. ОФЗ (OFZ) = Осколочно-фугасные зажигательный (HE-Incendiary) and ПКТ (PKT) = Пулемёт Калашникова, Танковый (The tank modification of the Kalashnikov machine gun).

Yes.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
UPD.
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.