Clouds or new lighting causing extreme amounts of shimmer. Can we expect a fix?

I've personally had shimmering on everything from clouds to buildings all the way down to the edges of people and animals. Both on the Rift S, (For 2 years) and now the Reverb G2 that I just setup for the game this week. None of this exists on my display when I play using Track-IR. It's nice and clear with graphics settings almost exactly the same as my VR ones. (Exception being I run my display at a lower rez in 2D at 2160x1440, but with ultra vs high for Vsib Range. Also tried the VR shader mod for 2.7, (previously 2.5) published on various sites and recommended by Lucas S. on YouTube including his recommended Nvidia control panel settings. For the new Reverb setup, I completely cleaned my Nvidia drivers for my 2080 using NDD, was hoping for and improved experience and did get it somewhat for reading in the cockpit and seeing distant planes; so was worth the change in my opinion. But I was just surprised the shimmering remained, plus a new problem: An annoying flickering when loading up any mission plus terrible flickering at the start-up of DCS itself!  (Gained some, lost some!)  I started the Reverb on a repaired DCS with no mods at first and the shimmering was there. Then added the shader 2.7 mod with same issue.   MSAA 2X-4X and even tried adding SSAA to 1.5X.  So far I've tried PD=1.0 in-game and in Steam VR a PD of the per-eye resolution of around 2160'ish x 2160'ish around the default rez of the Reverb itself. Also tried High and low Terrain Textures. Textures always on High. Pushing more will just drop minimum frames too low for a playable experience for my rig. (I7-9700K, OC-4.9K; 32Gig Ram @3.2K; Samsung NVME-SSD.)  Before, I ran the Rift S as far as to 1.5 PD having to settle to 1.0-1.2 max for reasonable performance. Shimmering in all cases was there regardless. I'm wondering anyone with a 30 series card have any of these issues?       

Edited by Antibak

The Loading flickering has been a issue with WMR for years.....

Thanks Enduro14, that is what I have read too.  What's funny, was many on YouTube recommend the Reverb G2 for DCS. NONE of them mention just how much of a pain in the behind it is to get it working decently and NEVER mention any of the anomalies either! It's like they are just Reverb fan-boys.  I would of been fine with the Rift S for another year or more longer until some of these issues get resolved, (If ever!).  If never, then pass on this product. I only use VR for specific type of missions and use 2D/Track-IR most of the time.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 6:16 AM, Antibak said:

I've personally had shimmering on everything from clouds to buildings all the way down to the edges of people and animals. Both on the Rift S, (For 2 years) and now the Reverb G2 that I just setup for the game this week. None of this exists on my display when I play using Track-IR. It's nice and clear with graphics settings almost exactly the same as my VR ones. (Exception being I run my display at a lower rez in 2D at 2160x1440, but with ultra vs high for Vsib Range. Also tried the VR shader mod for 2.7, (previously 2.5) published on various sites and recommended by Lucas S. on YouTube including his recommended Nvidia control panel settings. For the new Reverb setup, I completely cleaned my Nvidia drivers for my 2080 using NDD, was hoping for and improved experience and did get it somewhat for reading in the cockpit and seeing distant planes; so was worth the change in my opinion. But I was just surprised the shimmering remained, plus a new problem: An annoying flickering when loading up any mission plus terrible flickering at the start-up of DCS itself!  (Gained some, lost some!)  I started the Reverb on a repaired DCS with no mods at first and the shimmering was there. Then added the shader 2.7 mod with same issue.   MSAA 2X-4X and even tried adding SSAA to 1.5X.  So far I've tried PD=1.0 in-game and in Steam VR a PD of the per-eye resolution of around 2160'ish x 2160'ish around the default rez of the Reverb itself. Also tried High and low Terrain Textures. Textures always on High. Pushing more will just drop minimum frames too low for a playable experience for my rig. (I7-9700K, OC-4.9K; 32Gig Ram @3.2K; Samsung NVME-SSD.)  Before, I ran the Rift S as far as to 1.5 PD having to settle to 1.0-1.2 max for reasonable performance. Shimmering in all cases was there regardless. I'm wondering anyone with a 30 series card have any of these issues?       

Shimmering of the object edges caused by the current VR implementation in DCS, it is the same regardless of the headset type. Yes, the image of the sim in 2D and VR totally different right now because of this phenomenon. Cannot be resolved by user settings, it will need the major graphic engine update which is underway.

Flickering during the loading screens was somewhat similar with my old CV1, but my G2 with WMR it's heavier. It could be some kind of SteamVR/WMR/DCS thing.

One more VR specific issue is some kind of very annoying heavy stuttering during head movement, which can be also SteamVR / DCS related. For me the perfect solution to restart my PC before starting DCS in VR. When I use DCS with a newly restarted machine then the stutters never happen.

Beside of these quirks I had ZERO other issues with my G2, it works perfectly even with my current GTX 1070 (!).

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

shimmer is as bad in 2d as vr.  4k on 2d shimmers like no other 2d title in 4k

wmr flicker on loading has been that way for years.  just another wmr fault on its long list of faults

Edited by Enduro14
  • Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• 1 year later...

This is still the only complaint I have with dcs and my VR experience and still a problem with the latest patch, the clouds look far below the standard of the rest of my visuals. Pixelated and wobbly/shimmering. If I set clouds higher than standard it is a real tax on the system. I hope it is something that will be looked at for VR users in the future. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On 8/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I will show this thread to the team and make them aware of it.

thanks

Thanks @BIGNEWY,

We have this problem on distant clouds since the introduction now. I have good deal of experience with watching them and how they react. 

Please transfer this info  below about the problem to the team too it might give a clue of where to look for the problem:

Juddering and shimmering looks like happening because of squire like alpha textures attached to the particle system reacting to head movement. They turn as you tilt your head left and right as if they are following your head. So while tilting your head to one side you see judder is doing this kind of things at distant cloud edges

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ you tilt your head more |||||||||||||||| and more //////////////.

Finally there is a perfect tilt angle around 90 degrees that all shimmer is gone and clouds look perfect from nearby to all the way to horizon. I see that in dog fights when I'm turning on knife edge and tested this by tilting my head. 

I believe those textures should not be fixed to the camera tilt axis. If team finds the golden angle and fixes the texture coordinates as it is problem is solved. 

Kindest regards,

Off topic: Thanks for the team for providing all missing LODs. It was not in changelog. But we have them all now suddenlyl

Edited by Rapierarch
Correcting format
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Since it hasn't been fixed yet, I wonder if there is a way to get rid of those clouds. Not all of them behave like this.
I'm flying an excellent and stunningly beautiful campaign. Those shimmering clouds are impossible to ignore.
-Ruining a huge part of the experience, and reducing the value of my investments significantly.

(Fanbois will fan)

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trawling the forum to find a cure for the shimmering with the clouds which I think is even more pronounced after the recent 2.8 updates in my Reverb G2. I run a lowly 1080TI but notice that higher card users are also experiencing this annoying issue. I lost contact with my wingman on a mission recently purely down to not being able to focus through the shimmer which I see mid screens.

Any ideas for at least reducing this would be greatly received.

Waistcat 

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

I don’t vr very much but with my quest 2 pushed to basically it’s max and leaving dcs setting the same as my pancake mode, with clouds on ultra I feel like the shimmering is worse. Fired it up the other day, getting smooth fps and all but it seemed like the longer I played the shimmering of not only clouds, but everything, was bad. To the point, where I couldn’t stand looking at it anymore. In pancake the clouds looks amazing, sometimes a little too much like a stack of cotton balls, but I don’t see any artifacts in them, but in vr(at least mine) they are very much an annoyance lol

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Is it really pathetic to read from some here that we cannot demand or at least call ED's attention to some errors they make regarding this game, it is the right of any user to refer or report an error without leaving them at once, the defenders of such an error to see defender friend that let ED answer no you Mr are you the owner of ED? NO OF COURSE NO, there are thousands of errors that ED has made because they keep implementing new things when there are many old things that are there for years, and they don't finish fixing it, of course, it creates a conflict in the system if you don't fix the old problem as you pretend to. Does the system work well? And is there the point, is it when the questions come because it is our right as a consumer to understand what is wrongly done?

unprejudiced

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 10:56 AM, trigen said:

It really feels to me that the new clouds and system since 2.7 introduce a huge amount of shimmering/aliasing that wasnt there before.  You can see this really well if your wingman is flying in front of any clouds and on hillsides where there are clouds behind. Roads as well. In short it affect everything. In VR the picture is boiling. Its honestly so bad it shouldn't be acceptable. 

I would add videos and screenshots but its so easy to see that its not possible to not be aware of it. While i love the clouds its made the game a nightmare in VR. I would really appreciate it if you could start looking at all the graphic bugs cause there are many. 

I’m also seeing this with latest current patch - as described - in particular facing light sources with clouds and wingman.  Clouds flickering quite a bit, wingman aircraft pixellated.  Fences at airbases are really bad as well 

openxr

msaa x 2 

high clouds

3090 5850

Reverb G2

Edited by USA_Recon

I am currently struggling with fps in general (2.8. was not helpful in that sense), thus I just do the opposite thing:
I turn clouds down to LOW, and I have the impression that this setting - in my VR rig - looks a bit better in terms of aliasing . :huh:
For the shimmering part I have no idea, I didn't pay enough attention on that.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 9 months later...