MFD export in VR?

RoyMi6

One of the problems with VR is that unless you line things up perfectly it can be hard pressing the correct button.

I'm sure there's more people than just me that look through the nose of their headset to press their MFD buttons, and I find that swapping between looking at the VR view versus the real MFD buttons a bit tedious. As such, I'm keen on putting a screen behind my MFDs so that when I look through my nose at them I can quickly see what the next button press might be.

However, I'm finding it hard to export to screens using the /MonitorSetup/blah.lua files.

I've created a simple export below that works great in desktop mode, but doens't work at all in VR.

In short, is exporting the MFDs possible while using VR?

At the moment I'm just testing, I've not got my second display yet (pending these tests) so what can I change to make my test work? At the moment all I'm trying to do is display the LEFT and RIGHT MFD in the bottom left and right of my main monitor while using VR.

Cheers in advance!

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('LMFCD+Camera+RMFCD-TEST');
Description = 'Left MFCD on the left,Right MFCD on the right and main display in the centre of one screen'
Viewports =
{
	Center =
	{
		x = 0;
		y = 0;
		width = screen.width;
		height = screen.height;
		viewDx = 0;
		viewDy = 0;
		aspect = screen.aspect;
	}
}
   --
LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 0;
    y = screen.height - 300;
    width = 300;
    height = 300;
}
   --
RIGHT_MFCD =
{
    x = screen.width - 300;
    y = screen.height - 300;
    width = 300;
    height = 300;
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

Silicon bumps on the centre of each row of soft keys helps.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Rogue.
  • Like 1

A-10C IQT Badge.jpgA-10C BAQ Badge.jpg

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS RoG Strix Z670E-F | Corsair iCue H170i Elite LCD AIO | ASUS RoG Strix OC RTX 4090 24GB | 64GB Corsair DDR5 5600 Dominator Platinum RGB | Samsung 980Pro M.2 SSD 1TB & 2TB | ASUS RoG Thor Plus Platinum II 1000W | Win 11 | Varjo Aero | Corsair iCue 7000X | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's | Buddy Fox UFC | Razer Tartarus V2 | Monstertech Bench Mounts

7 hours ago, Rogue. said:

Silicon bumps on the centre of each row of soft keys helps.

Untitled.jpg

I do exactly this, but with little pieces of velcro on the center buttons so you can feel the texture.  With some practice, I don't have to look under the headset at all.  My fingers just naturally find the buttons.  

I've also built the panel for the MPDs to be very close to where I would see it in the VR cockpit.  So it feels fairly natural to reach down to the MFDs that I see and the real ones are right there.  It becomes a very natural motion.

38118EA7-E3DE-401D-8AC8-0C3D84D02FF2_1_105_c.jpeg

873CD91C-B2D2-40B0-9EBC-F413AD9EDB9C_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Notso
  • Like 1

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 2 weeks later...

I use a variation of this approach with my Cougars. I have little self-adhesive rhinestones/jewels, rather than the silicone dot, but it's the same principle. I put one each on buttons 1, 3 and 5 in each row (horizontal and vertical). In addition I have one of the dots mounted on the horizontal surface of the MFD frame above the centre buttons on the top and bottom rows. And then on the vertical rows I have the same on the inside of the frame next to the centre buttons.

These dots on the frames are useful for centering at the start of a session as my muscle memory gradually kicks in.

I believe that using dots on alternating buttons is the best solution since it means I never confuse buttons 1 and 2 or 4 and 5.

I bought the dots on a sheet which included a few different sizes but I don't think my fingertips are sensitive enough to distinguish one size from another.

I'm also planning to make use of the corner rocker switches. So far, I'm using just the top left one (Gain) on the left MFD which I use for Master Arm On and AG Mode in the Harrier. I must check to see whether I can use the Pinky switch as a modifier with these rocker switches to get even more functionality out of them.

As you'd expect, I position the MFDs so as to closely correspond with where I perceive them to be in VR, so the whole setup works very well and feels very intuitive.

Braille MFD.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go for some of the solutions other users provided, and wait for a week for your muscle memory to develop.
I don´t think looking at a small angled LCD behind a Cougar while donning a VR headset is the solution to your issues.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Another solution is to try PointCTRL. It is kind of like TrackIR, except that you wear the sensor and your fingers have the LEDs. It works as a mouse, but you just point your finger to move the mouse cursor. You lose the tactile feel of pressing real buttons, but it is by far the best VR control solution I have tried for DCS since you can use either hand as required and get nearly the precision and speed of using a mouse. When it is calibrated properly, you still feel like you are putting your finger on the virtual controls, so it feels like you are using VR even though you are really just tracking one of your fingers in 2D as a mouse cursor.

There are disadvantages:

1) Currently, the IR sensor is very sensitive, so any bright IR sources (namely sunlight) entering the room can cause issues with tracking. The sensitivity may become adjustable in the future.

2) You have to wear the led/button assemblies on the index finger of both hands. 

3) The finger controllers are battery powered. They have a long life, but you still have to worry about keeping them charged.

4) The IR sensor requires a USB cable. If your headset has a cable, as most PC headsets do, no problem. But if you are using wireless with a Quest 2, you probably don't want to add a cable.

5) Most important of all (the others are relatively minor), you have to look towards the direction of the control you want to operate so that the mouse cursor can reach it and it is within the sensor's field of view limits.

Once PointCTRL becomes 2nd nature, you won't want to fly without it. But I use it in parallel with my physical controls. There are still times when the physical controllers are the way to go, such as when you need to toggle a switch/press a button without taking your eyes off of a target or in the rare case where you have to operate two controls at the same time, such as the flight control system test for the F/A-18 (for that one, I press the button on my Cougar MFD and use PointCTRL to toggle the switch on the right side of the cockpit).

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use the velcro solution, as suggested by someone else.  I put the soft fluffy bit on the mid button on each of the vertical groups of 5 buttons, and then a velco spiky blob on the middle button on the top and bottom rows.  With that, I can very easily locate those 4 buttons without looking and from that, address the nearby buttons.

Works well for me.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have mapped every MFD button to be a mouse click. I look at the virtual MFD button I want and press a physical MFD button in the vicinity of it. No feeling around to locate the button. Works for me but maybe a bit unique!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 2 years later...