Radar / Jammer Priority Select

goAdA

So many modules in DCS have their jammer poorly modeled. Without being able to automatically blank your own jammer targets not only put hornet in a significant disadvantage, but also defeats the purpose of a true self protection jammer. According some sources that I have, hornet is able to select between prioritize jammer transmission or radar transmission. I understand you won't take this as priority, but please make it into your do list.

• Like 4

+1. I'd say that this is a very important feature. And it's not only controlled by the RDR/JMR priority option, the radar takes priority when it's supporting an AMRAAM as well.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 1:58 AM, Harker said:

+1. I'd say that this is a very important feature. And it's not only controlled by the RDR/JMR priority option, the radar takes priority when it's supporting an AMRAAM as well.

and Sparrow.

Quite important feature to model indeed. But no acknowledgment so far.

There is a piece of equipment in the Hornet called a Interference Blanker, every piece of equipment in the bird that transmits & receives has a Duty Cycle........ i.e. On/Off time for TX/RX. The Interference Blanker does not let one piece of equipment transmit while another is receiving.  That's why they DO NOT Self Test the Deception Repeater on the deck of the carrier, the ships radar will damage the receivers, and it would have to have Dummy Loads put on it to keep the TX signal from interfering with the ships systems.  The ALQ-126B has OFF/Standby/Recieve/Repeat modes of operation. The only thing I know of that is not modeled is, what do you do when the Iranian F-14 and F-4 come out and turn on their Radars and you do not have a Prowler or Growler out there to help you?.................. You do not the have the AN/DLQ-3B slung under your wing.   They are made to interfere with the F-14's Radar and the F-4's.  The developers have to understand "what" it is DECM on NATO aircraft, they have to guess about the devices power (how strong the signal is) and it's effective range, Deceptions techniques which are highly classified, when it comes on (Repeat) and how long it stays on (Repeat) before it shuts down (back to Standby) so home on jam loses signal.  So they are trying to get the systems to work on theories they understand, instead of real world facts about how it DOES work.  So cut them some slack.  

Yes, I had 20 years of experience working "I" Level maintenance on the DECM systems on the A-7, A-6, EA-6B, F/A-18A/B/C/D. Which means I worked on the WRA's that came out of the Aircraft, not the plane itself.  Also the KIT/KIR-1A, KY-58, all the Chaff/Flare/Jammer dispencers.  When I say it's Classified, you have to have a clearance and "Need to Know". 

Cheers

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 12:00 AM, 352nd_Hoss said:

There is a piece of equipment in the Hornet called a Interference Blanker, every piece of equipment in the bird that transmits & receives has a Duty Cycle........ i.e. On/Off time for TX/RX. The Interference Blanker does not let one piece of equipment transmit while another is receiving.  That's why they DO NOT Self Test the Deception Repeater on the deck of the carrier, the ships radar will damage the receivers, and it would have to have Dummy Loads put on it to keep the TX signal from interfering with the ships systems.  The ALQ-126B has OFF/Standby/Recieve/Repeat modes of operation. The only thing I know of that is not modeled is, what do you do when the Iranian F-14 and F-4 come out and turn on their Radars and you do not have a Prowler or Growler out there to help you?.................. You do not the have the AN/DLQ-3B slung under your wing.   They are made to interfere with the F-14's Radar and the F-4's.  The developers have to understand "what" it is DECM on NATO aircraft, they have to guess about the devices power (how strong the signal is) and it's effective range, Deceptions techniques which are highly classified, when it comes on (Repeat) and how long it stays on (Repeat) before it shuts down (back to Standby) so home on jam loses signal.  So they are trying to get the systems to work on theories they understand, instead of real world facts about how it DOES work.  So cut them some slack.  

Yes, I had 20 years of experience working "I" Level maintenance on the DECM systems on the A-7, A-6, EA-6B, F/A-18A/B/C/D. Which means I worked on the WRA's that came out of the Aircraft, not the plane itself.  Also the KIT/KIR-1A, KY-58, all the Chaff/Flare/Jammer dispencers.  When I say it's Classified, you have to have a clearance and "Need to Know". 

Cheers

I appreciate the input here. I do not disagree with you one bit, but we're talking about different things. How the jammer works (in terms of signal processing and transmission) is not the point here, we're talking about the lack of a feature that determines whether the radar or the jammer gets transmission priority. ED does not need to understand anything about the actual operational principles of these systems (although it'd be good if they did), they simply need to program the implementation a little different and add functionality to an option in the RDR ATTK page.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro