Tricky lasing mission.

Gunfreak

I downloaded a mission, where I'm supposed to blow up a HVT with GBU-10s, the problem is, low clouds and mountains in the way, so both on approch I have problems finding the target with the Tpod, and also as I drop the bombs, Anywere I turn I lose track of it for the actual lasing, either through clouds or the mountains,

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Well Sir, a bit more information could do the trick here. What plane, what mission, what map, is the cloud layer intended by the mission designer or has it to do with the knew cloud/weather engine or maybe it's just a 'not up to date' mission.

If the loadout is not vital for the mission design drop a JDAM on a prefined waypoint...

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

8 minutes ago, NoJoy said:

Well Sir, a bit more information could do the trick here. What plane, what mission, what map, is the cloud layer intended by the mission designer or has it to do with the knew cloud/weather engine or maybe it's just a 'not up to date' mission.

If the loadout is not vital for the mission design drop a JDAM on a prefined waypoint...

Syria map, F16, the mission is for 2.7 so I assume the cloud layer is correct(about 5000-6000 feet) 
It's a prison camp, so I can't go and bomb prisoners, only the 3 command buildings the HVT is in.

Cloud cover over Syria… 🤔

Seriously the weather could be dialed back a bit. Gotta use JDAMs instead. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Wrong weapon for the task

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Cloud cover over Syria… 🤔

My thought exactly. I haven't seen a CAVOK mission since the release of 2.7 anywhere yet unless it's my own that I hadn't added at least a little cloud cover to.

I mean they're awesome, they look fantastic and literally are a game changer to DCS. But the amount of clouds I now typically see over desert terrains (Syria, PG and NTTR) are about as realistic as having 14+ Mavericks hanging on a Warthog...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

1 hour ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Try 4x500lbs. You don't need a 2000lb bomb for a building that size, and with that, you can allocate one bomb per building. IRL, a pair of 2000lb JDAMs would probably do the trick, but DCS undersells the bomb damage quite a bit.

How do you do that?

Put a steerpoint on each building?

Exactly. 🙂 In the Viper, that's how you set targets. In fact, the real thing has special "target steerpoints" at the end of the available range (80-99 or something like that). These are used to store things like coordinates for IAMs. I don't know if that's implemented yet (probably not), but either way, steerpoints are how these things are done in the Viper.

In the real Viper, you could also fly under the weather, mark all three buildings from TGP, and then pickle on markpoints. I'm not sure if that's in yet, either.

20 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Exactly. 🙂 In the Viper, that's how you set targets. In fact, the real thing has special "target steerpoints" at the end of the available range (80-99 or something like that). These are used to store things like coordinates for IAMs. I don't know if that's implemented yet (probably not), but either way, steerpoints are how these things are done in the Viper.

In the real Viper, you could also fly under the weather, mark all three buildings from TGP, and then pickle on markpoints. I'm not sure if that's in yet, either.

So I should be able to set say steerpoint 3 and 4 as bombing point. Set the steerpoint to change automatically and just fly over both steerpoints holding in the bomb weapon release and the bombs should fall were they are supposed to?

You need to switch the steerpoints manually and pickle each JDAM separately. They've got a big launch zone, so timing won't be a problem. Be happy you're not tying to pickle off 8 SDBs against a SAM site that way (quite possible and I did it that way in the other Viper sim). 🙂 Yeah, it's clunky, but that's the way the Viper works.

BTW, automatic steerpoint switching won't work in A/G mode. If it does now, it's a bug. It's disabled so it doesn't suddenly switch your SPI to another place.