S-24 Ranging Table

El Phantasmo

I don't know about for the S-24s, but my personal practice attack with bombs is to do 250kph approaches, pop up to 100 meters radalt and do a short count to 3 after the target passes out of view under the nose, then release.  120 meters for fab-500s, but otherwise about the same.  Takes some feeling out, but lets you stay very mobile.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, El Phantasmo said:

Does anyone have any tips for this rocket? I cant seem to find any accurate info on aiming them. Bombs too. 

You need to use manual mode of the sight. There are sight angle tables in the Russian manual. Pages 127-129.

There are four tables. First is for shooting rockets from horizontal flight. First column is your speed in kph, second column is distance to target in meters. Rest of columns have vertical aiming angles for different types of rockets.

Second table is for shooting rockets from shallow descent. It's set up in similar fashion, but columns are a little bit different. First shows your pitch, second -- speed at the beginning of descent, third -- speed of weapon release. Other columns are the same as in the first table.

Third table is for 30mm gun, but there's really no point in using this table, because cannon has very shallow trajectory. None of the aiming angles in the table for the gun go over 1.5 degrees.

The last table is for bombs, but I'm not sure, how to use it properly.

As for the tips on shooting S-24s, keep your speed and distance to target as close as possible to what is in the tables, because those rockets are very sensitive to changes in speed. If you look at the table, you'll see that for distance of 2000m at 200 kph the angle is 6 degrees, but at 250 kph it changes to 4 degrees. That's for the same distance. So even small changes in speed will cause point of impact to move drastically.

P.S. Just realized that Russian manual may be only available in Russian version of the sim. If you don't have it, you can download it in the first post of this topic: 

Edited by VitMax
  • Thanks 1

I know! I guess we'll have to wait for the manual to be fully translated.

It'd also be nice if Petrovitch called out approximate range estimates - it'd make it quite a bit easier to use the sights properly.

Edited by Avimimus

It would be nice for him to use the periscope markers to judge distance for vehicles, with the same limits you always have with periscope on in attitude restrictions. I don’t know if that’s been done in real life, but I would think for vehicles it wouldn’t be too hard for him to call out 2km when a vehicle is half the size of the 1km mark, and call out 1km when a vehicle covers the 1km mark, and maybe even .5 km when the vehicle is twice the size of the mark. 

but it would be weird to have it if it’s never operationally used that way while in rocket mode

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg