Hind or Ka-50

pmaura

I own both helicopters and the KA50 is not trying to kill you as much as the Hind.

Once you learn how to use the trimmer and autopilot functions the KA50 it is a very stable helicopter. The KA50 is completely different to fly because it doesnt have a tail rotor and has a lot of systems to make it stable.  Also with 16 Vikhr missiles, a laser rangefinder and 40 S8 rockets it can take out a lot of targets. 

The Hind is a much older airframe and doesn't have all the fancy modern systems like the KA50, but in my opinion it is more rewarding to complete a mission in the Hind because it is a lot harder to control. The Shturm and Ataka missiles are also a bit less effective. If the target area has a Tor or Tunguska protecting it you will have a hard time in the Hind because of the short missile range.

If you have the option to buy both, i would recommend it

Edited by Nickkerkwijk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I kinda like the Hind... but I love the Ka-50. :matrix:

I like the big fat laser guided KH-25 missiles, I like the helmet targeting/tracking for the gun, and I love that I can park the thing on a dime even though I often crash and burn with the Hind. The Hind has better cockpit visibility, which is nice, but the Ka-50 has better weapons and targeting. And if you get the Ka-50 (Blackshark 2) on sale, the Blackshark 3 in-development upgrade option will be pretty cheap. Maybe $15 or something for more weapons and better graphics. it's a great deal.

One thing with the Ka-50 is you absolutely have to watch some/several tutorials about how to handle the always-on auto pilot, otherwise it will drive you bonkers. You'll be trying to fly north to attack while the the chopper wants to head back south to the base for lunch. But once you get it, it's easy to handle and ever so sweet. It handles like sports car but is really stable and hovers and lands like a dream. And the twist on the handle is just fine. That's what I have with my Thrustmaster TM16000. 

I would absolutely put the Ka-50 as one of my top 3 DCS modules. It's a fast, agile, heavily armed mean little bee-yatch. :gun_rifle:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

For me the Hind. It requires more effort, it's more engaging, pilot is manually flying the helicopter, gunner is looking for the targets and manually aims the missiles. I love legacy mechanical devices like the Hind's map with cursor and Doppler sensor. Or simple fan.

Mi-24 behaves like a helicopter, with tail rotor. And it looks badass, both exterior and Soviet green cockpits.

Ka-50 we have is practically a prototype, a few of them were built and tested. Mi-24 on the other hand is serially produced legendary helicopter built by the Soviets in thousands and used in many real life wars all around the world.

Plus i like 2 seat aspect - if i want to play solo Petrovic my friend is doing the job, but when I want to fly with the friend we jump into the helicopter and look for the bad guys.

Ka-50 is way different, way easier. It has GPS navigation so you always know your perfect position. Missiles are automatically guided with auto-track.

You practically always fly on autopilot even on semi-manually director mode, you rather tell the autopilot what to do than pilot the helicopter. But it is fun as well in a different way.

PS: Both have this nice atmospheric Soviet vibes, Hind more for sure since it's a Cold Wars legend, but Ka-50 has been designed during 1980s, fall of the USSR simply didn't allow them to finish the project.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

Have both.

Ka-50 is a smooth tank killer, Mi-24 is a badass machine, love both but Ka-50 is way easier to fly, Mi-24 it´s much more critical on flying and, if you don´t have pedals stay away from it

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

8 minutes ago, bies said:

For me the Hind. It requires more effort, it's more engaging, pilot is manually flying the helicopter, gunner is looking for the targets and manually aims the missiles. I love legacy mechanical devices like the Hind's map with cursor and Doppler sensor. Or simple fan.

Mi-24 behaves like a helicopter, with tail rotor. And it looks badass, both exterior and Soviet green cockpits.

Ka-50 we have is practically a prototype, a few of them were built and tested. Mi-24 on the other hand is serially produced legendary helicopter built by the Soviets in thousands and used in many real life wars all around the world.

Plus i like 2 seat aspect - if i want to play solo Petrovic my friend is doing the job, but when I want to fly with the friend we jump to the helicopter and look for the bad guys.

Ka-50 is way different, way easier. It has GPS navigation so you always knows your perfect position. Missiles are automatically guided with auto-track.

And you practically always fly on autopilot even on semi-manually director mode, you rather tell the autopilot what to do than pilot the helicopter. But it is fun as well in a different way.

PS: Both have this nice atmospheric Soviet vibes, Hind more for sure since it's a Cold Wars legend, but Ka-50 has been designed during 1980s, fall of the USSR simply didn't allow them to finish the project.

I prefer the Ka-50, but still agree with everything you said. :happy:

The pros for the Mi-24, for me, are gorgeous cockpit & visibility, the 30mm main gun, and the big fat Bumblebee of Death look and feel of the machine. I can understand why some people would prefer it over the Blackshark. Flying the Hind low and fast is a visceral experience. 

But I still love my Blackshark. Same way I prefer the P-51 over the P-47, or the F-18 over the F-16. To each their module and their fun. Good thing the free trial lets us have a go at them without having to drop the cash first.

18 minutes ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Buying a module bc its easier to fly is the dumbest criteria you can base your decisions on.

Dumber yet is to express your opinion in such a derogatory way, you risk being ignored from now on. 🙄

• Like 12

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

22 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Are you threatning me to ignore my comment? Lol be my guest.

Well...  you just made it to mine too.  Don't be a dick.

Also...  On the subject...  

Shark 100%.

• Like 3

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

08.08.2021 в 02:40, 5ephir0th сказал:

Have both.

Ka-50 is a smooth tank killer, Mi-24 is a badass machine, love both but Ka-50 is way easier to fly, Mi-24 it´s much more critical on flying and, if you don´t have pedals stay away from it

I don't have pedals and generally I'm fine with Mi-24. Agree on the rest of it though. Both modules are definitely worth the purchase, but if the OP is not familiar with helis in general it would probably be easier to learn Ka-50 first. It doesn't have Petrovich to assist with certain tasks though.

While it's true the shark doesn't have Petro to assist...

It was designed specifically to not need Petro...  😉

• Like 1

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I agree from other post  the profile is the thing comes first. Then go free-to-try and see which one fits. I have neither one, tried the Ka-50 but did not like it.

If you wish to buy it based on popularity, look for which one has more user-made contents, it may give you an idea...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Buying a module bc its easier to fly is the dumbest criteria you can base your decisions on.

Depends what kind of fun you want to have. 

If you enjoy the challenge of a finnicky FM, then you are free to fly the Mi-8 and Mig-21 and practice bad weather landings to your heart's content. More power to you. If, on the other hand, you want a less challenging flight, and simply want to enjoy some smooth flying while looking at the eye candy out the window while sipping your beer, again, more power to you.

We're all just here to have fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You make a good point :)...  but in the threat environment we have here in DCS I think one person per attack chopper is fine :).

Yeah, I don't think there's a black&white objective answer to this question.

For myself, I prefer the Hind. I find that with more modern airframes  (KA50 / F16/FA18) I find myself letting the aircraft fly itself while I spend my time with my head stuck in a set of MFDs. But with the Hind I spend more of my time flying. But that's just my preference.

• Like 1

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Do you let Petro do the shooting for you?

I only ask because if you try to kill things yourself then you have to let an AI actually fly for you...  Not even an AP :).

Both are good though...  I have the Hind and Shark and both are quite fun.  The Shark is much more effective, faster and more intuitive...  but still in a very manual analog way.  Not like a Viper or Hornet or something...  More like an F14 compared to the Mig15 the Hind seems like...  Or something :).

Those analogies suck but suffice to say there's a big hole in the Hind if you aren't playing multi-crew with two people.  It's not like it's too much to do...  but to me it feels wonky compared to the shark which was designed from the ground up to be "played" by one person...  both IRL and in sim.

I feel like it translates better.

BUT...  They also did a pretty damn good job with Petro all things considered.  Same with Jester.

One more thing...  You can do 500MPH (and faster) rocket strafes with the Shark...  The Hind falls apart after about 350 rubles... Which is like 88Mph.

Don't get me wrong the Hind is great...  and will be even more great when it gets troop transport etc and MP missions that support it...  I honestly can't wait...

But it will never usurp the Sharks top spot status for me.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, M1Combat said:

One more thing...  You can do 500MPH (and faster) rocket strafes with the Shark...  The Hind falls apart after about 350 rubles... Which is like 88Mph.

Huh? Where did you get these numbers from? If by 350 rubles you mean 350 km/h then that's the only number that makes some sense.

BlackShark cannot actually safely go as fast as Hind because of the colliding rotor blades (one tilts left, the other tilts right and the effect increases with speed until they collide). This is very dangerous and it can happen (at least in DCS) even before you get the overspeed warning.

• Like 1

I was being a bit flippant with the Hind comment for sure :)...  As with other conventional heli's it suffers from blade stall for sure...  but not the shark it can break 500.  I want to say that fastest I've been was a bit over 600 as I recall.  It's been some time though so I can't recall exactly but it was WAY past the speed needle and/or overspeed warning.  

Didn't touch the tips either ;).

Lemme ask you though...

What can you do in the cockpit to make the blades flex less?

2 hours ago, M1Combat said:

What can you do in the cockpit to make the blades flex less?

I don't know. I didn't think that you could do much (other than flying slower 🙂).

But 600 or even 500 km/h in *any* helicopter is crazy, I don't really believe you could to it (unless you are exploiting some DCS bug). I think even the fastest production helicopters cannot exceed 400 km/h.

On 8/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, pmaura said:

So between KA 50 and Hind which one would be easier to fly.

Ka-50

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 8/8/2021 at 1:40 AM, bies said:

, but Ka-50 has been designed during 1980s, fall of the USSR simply didn't allow them to finish the project.

In one of the documentaries I watched some time back, it was said it did complete and was successful as well in a form of Alligator.

While there was no interest in Ka-50, the requirements from interested parties conceived the Ka-52 development version, which went into production.

Shame we can't BlackShark 3 depict that as well, but I am taking what is given.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

17 hours ago, bolek said:

I don't know. I didn't think that you could do much (other than flying slower 🙂).

But 600 or even 500 km/h in *any* helicopter is crazy, I don't really believe you could to it (unless you are exploiting some DCS bug). I think even the fastest production helicopters cannot exceed 400 km/h.

Climb...  then dive.  Reduce blade pitch to like 3 degrees.  gently pull out of the dive.  I see no reason why this wouldn't work IRL... aside from the likelihood that a test pilot would actually be asked to do it.

You can't maintain the speed of course but given just enough blade pitch to maintain controllability and altitude you can get to some pretty high speeds.  If you do it at the right location you can rocket/gun run VERY fast :).

Do be careful.  Not for the faint of heart :).