Hind or Ka-50

pmaura

Heh, OK, I tried this and you must be a much better pilot. I could get close but not above 500 km/h. But that is still a lot faster than I could do normally (and well outside the specs). At least now I believe you that it is possible (at least in DCS 🙂).

Yeah maybe it was high 400's that I was getting to :)...  It's been a while since I tried it as it's battlefield usefulness is somewhat limited :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Hind = vinyl

Shark = CD

both are good and rewarding in different ways. I have the shark module for years and never really used it because i didn't like the auto pilot interference. however i've started to fly it recently, and when you realise how to utilise the tools, it's good.
is it as much fun as the hind?

maybe not quite  

• Like 2

I've been flying the Ka50 for quite some time and it's a lovely bird. Once you get used to letting the bird do much of the things for you (fly on a course, auto turn to target etc) it can be very effective and very fun. It's also very fun to fly with autopilot off or with Director control on (turns off autopilot but keeps some control dampening).

Having said that the Mi24 has been long on my wish list and I'm SO happy it's finally hear. After having flown the Ka50 the Mi24 feels very easy as far as systems go. It's very quick to learn, use Petrovich to shoot missiles and you do the rest your self. Or of course a human in the front seat. The Mi24 feels more fun to fly most of the time, to me at least, as it's actually being flown more by the human. I'm also a big fan of manual aiming stuff like the cannon. It's just more fun.

The Ka50 is in most situations the better killer, you can stay much further away and fire laser guided missiles. The Mi24 has shorter missile range and no laser targeting. The gunner aims the missile all the way to the target. Taking out long range AAA like Gepards can be very difficult as they can often reach you before you safely reach them with a missile, not to mention gun range.

But I've long since stopped concentrating on "what the more modern and powerful module" and started concentrating on "which one will I have most fun it". This is why I love the Hind, Tomcat and Viggen for example. Also, for me, I think the Apache will see me spend most time in that and much less in the Ka50 which makes the Mi24 a more "fun" and different older bird.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilbus said:

I've been flying the Ka50 for quite some time and it's a lovely bird. Once you get used to letting the bird do much of the things for you (fly on a course, auto turn to target etc) it can be very effective and very fun. It's also very fun to fly with autopilot off or with Director control on (turns off autopilot but keeps some control dampening).

Yep. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Wilbus said:

Also, for me, I think the Apache will see me spend most time in that and much less in the Ka50 which makes the Mi24 a more "fun" and different older bird.

I'll get the Apache because it's a cool new toy, but the Black Shark 3 is what really interests me.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!