Training Range Targets

I may have missed it, but was wondering if there is a built-in training range for the Nevada scenery. Something with procedures and targets of various types already setup. I know there are some third-party mods for this, but looking for the 'default' range that is part of the scenery. 

If someone can point it out in the documentation or its location on the map - thanks!

https://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php

You will have to download some things . . . 

But have a mooch around on the site, there is plenty of info etc, to get you up and (gun)running.

Areas within NTTR and details of things

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

There are many training target ranges managed by the real NTTR facility controllers, at least there used to be, but so far I haven't found any of them in the DCS NTTR map.  The locations are there but not the targets.  So as GJS mentions above, you'll have to download the bits and pieces and build them for yourself.

58 minutes ago, Nozzle said:

So as GJS mentions above, you'll have to download the bits and pieces and build them for yourself.

I edited my own a while ago, inspired on the Target Range of the "La Fundacion" virtual squadron .. it is not based on any real-life range, but works fine for practicing weapons, particularly when used along with the Simple Target Script for scoring. It is implemented as a Static Template, so you can place it onto the /Saved Games/DCS/StaticTemplate folder and then use it to build your training mission with the Mission Editor. It looks like this:

04FyADy.jpg

dtb8Nq8.jpg

4uX5qOO.jpg

7n5ojrg.jpg

AQgbst6.jpg

This is how the Target Script looks from within the cockpit:

c2xLQQl.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

NEV - Blue - Target Range Tonopah (by Rudel_chw).stm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was something built-in. Not sure if I want to install 3rd-party mods.

The instructions in the download for the 476 vFG - Air Weapons Range Objects says:  "Packed for use with OvGME" - what is that?

does this create ranges with the objects or do they still need to be placed?

I'd probably be happy with just the real locations and then build my own ranges

8 minutes ago, JCook said:

The instructions in the download for the 476 vFG - Air Weapons Range Objects says:  "Packed for use with OvGME" - what is that?

OvGME is a Mod Manager, it allows you to quickly enable/disable User Mods for a particular game (for example, DCS). Usually, Mod Managers compress (or pack) the Mods to save disk space. Some Mods, like the 476th Range Objects, came already in the Mod manager format, saving you the task of seting up the Mod yourself.

11 minutes ago, JCook said:

does this create ranges with the objects or do they still need to be placed?

It only provides game objects, like Target circles, borders, containers, etc ... you use them within DCS Mission Editor, to build a Target Range customized to your needs.

12 minutes ago, JCook said:

I'd probably be happy with just the real locations and then build my own ranges

That's probably the most satisfying way .. if you do build one, please share it with the Community 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

One thing I want to understand from the ED devs… is why advertise/call it the NTTR… when there’s barely any range targets or range scenery added into the DCS core? 

Instead we rely on 3rd party mods to deliver the DCS Nevada map product as its advertised? This doesn’t make sense to me.

@Wags

Super thankful we have other squadrons out there that can fill in the gaps with this, like the 476th…

Edited by Wing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wing said:

One thing I want to understand from the ED devs… is why advertise/call it the NTTR… when there’s barely any range targets or range scenery added into the DCS core? 

Instead we rely on 3rd party mods to deliver the DCS Nevada map product as its advertised? This doesn’t make sense to me.

@Wags

Super thankful we have other squadrons out there that can fill in the gaps with this, like the 476th…

Because NTTR is what it is known as, why call it something else?

You cannot call it “Nevada”, as Nevada itself is larger, this map centres around the USAF playground that is the NTTR.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

2 hours ago, G.J.S said:

Because NTTR is what it is known as, why call it something else?

You cannot call it “Nevada”, as Nevada itself is larger, this map centres around the USAF playground that is the NTTR.

How can you have an NTTR map but then not actually do anything with the NTTR..... you need mods to actually turn it into the proper ranges... your comment makes 0 sense

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

20 hours ago, Wing said:

It's just a map - terrain - it can be filled with the objects in Mission Editor. If the game lacks the objects you want to use, then yes, you need mods. Same with Normandy 1944 - you won't see any actual war there. You have to create or use DLC or user-made missions to see any action. I hope it makes sense.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, draconus said:

It's just a map - terrain - it can be filled with the objects in Mission Editor. If the game lacks the objects you want to use, then yes, you need mods. Same with Normandy 1944 - you won't see any actual war there. You have to create or use DLC or user-made missions to see any action. I hope it makes sense.

The actual NTTR is filled with structures/targets because well that’s what the range is all about, then adding any extra threats is something the player then can do. But the fact that you need a mod to actually make the map complete is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

24 minutes ago, FoxOne007 said:

The actual NTTR is filled with structures/targets because well that’s what the range is all about, then adding any extra threats is something the player then can do. But the fact that you need a mod to actually make the map complete is beyond me.

I'm not going to defend an old map and past dev decisions. I'll just say that I have hundreds of fun hours flying in NTTR either Red Flag type campaigns or Aggressors and numerous single, dogfights or free flight missions. I know of many A2G missions too or even SAR. Many of these are highly realistic based on RL procedures and events.

Whole 2 free weeks is a lot of time to decide if it suits you. I bet nobody will spend it shooting some fake targets.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

I'm not going to defend an old map and past dev decisions. I'll just say that I have hundreds of fun hours flying in NTTR either Red Flag type campaigns or Aggressors and numerous single, dogfights or free flight missions. I know of many A2G missions too or even SAR. Many of these are highly realistic based on RL procedures and events.

Whole 2 free weeks is a lot of time to decide if it suits you. I bet nobody will spend it shooting some fake targets.

Sounds like you need to verse yourself up a bit more on what "Green flag" represents out in the NTTR. Sure "Red flag" is also just as legendary... but you can only do so much to properly conduct training missions as they should be on the NTTR range - which is what the Nevada map advertises.

Green flag is its own beast... and making a mockery of saying "I bet nobody will spend it shooting some fake targets" is truly ignorant... especially coming from someone in DCS Ground Crew. 

Edited by Wing
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wing said:

Green flag is its own beast... and making a mockery of saying "I bet nobody will spend it shooting some fake targets" is truly ignorant... especially coming from someone in DCS Ground Crew. 

This was an answer to a recurring statement that you need mods to somehow truly enjoy NTTR, that's all.

• Like 2