HUD FLIR dead space 0.2nm~3nm?

Nealius

Rough estimates on the distance, but the HUD FLIR has a dead space where it doesn't render anything. Targets/hot objects won't appear until 0.2nm out. Screengrabs are a little lo-res but bear with me:

Rota from ~30nm out. Terrain detail is clearly visible at great distance.

tPSAZ2T.png

Guam (Northwest Field) from about 6nm off the coast. Looks good; still detailed.

bjjw5vH.png

As I get closer, you can see the dead space. Noted with a white bracket.

ioiM2Ed.png

Clearer image of the dead space.

mZpQon8.png

My estimate of 0.2nm is from targeting; see this sequence.

5yplIN9.png

vaR7Dtq.png

Is this a bug, or is FLIR rendering linked to trees visibility or overall visiblity settings? Since I fly in VR I have the trees slider at around 50% and visiblity set to HIGH or MEDIUM.

This appears to be linked with tree draw distance. At distance where trees are not rendered, the ground is shown as hot. As you fly closer and the trees render, the hot ground is covered by the cold trees, becoming an ambiguous blob. Within 02.nm (approximately) the trunks, branches, and leaves become visible in the FLIR, making it clear that the ambiguous blob is actually a forest. 

• Like 1

I think this is a known issue and it is getting fixed with the new IR "engine".

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

DCS has a lot of issues that will supposedly be fixed with the "new IR engine." Which we have been hearing about for 3~4 years now. So we'll be waiting another 3~4 years for basic functionality to get maybe, possibly, fixed depending on whether or not they can actually pull it off?

Edited by Nealius