Color Lost After Adjustments

Llyrin

I had some stuttering, so I tried reducing a few settings to pick up some extra FPS. When that didn't work well enough for me, I tried changing from High, to Low, figuring I could work my way back up. On Low, the screen looked almost like sepia tone, sort of like 256 shades of brown. Except for the sky, which was black. The clouds were still white. Since then, different maps looks like shades of green, or still brown, but the sky and clouds remain black and white.

The Dashboard background is always fine.

I created a profile for DCS in Radeon--no change. I tried repairing through WinPS. I tried Cleanup through WinPS. I uninstalled, deleted everything I could find (I didn't search RegEdit), and reinstalled. Nothing changes. I only get brown shades, or green shades, except I get what looks like twilight, with the last vestiges of daylight disappearing over the horizon, even at 0800. And of course, the sky is black and clouds white. 

Ryzen 7 / 2700X, dual Radeon RX580 (8GB each), 64GB RAM, 4k SamSung monitor (3840x2160). Tried with an without Crossfire. But the palette was fine when I initially installed. The old equipment affects FPS, for sure, but not color or resolution.

Is there a registry key I need to delete that the game keeps reading with the old data?

Marianas_2560x1440_HighSetting.png

Marianas_3840x2160_HighSetting.png

Screen_210807_191546.png

3840 Settings.png

This is most likely one of, or a combination of, old settings and cached shaders. Both are stored in your local user DCS directory (%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS or DCS.openbeta), and will not be affected by any attempt to uninstall or repair the game.

To quickly see if this is the case, temporarily rename — don't delete — that DCS directory and start the game. If that fixes things, then you know you've hit the right spot. You'll have lost all your settings and missions and all that stuff, which is why this was only temporary. It was just a test.

If it made a difference (or even if it didn't, since then the old stuff made no difference), remove the new DCS directory that was created and rename the old one back to its original name. Now try deleting the shader cache in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2 and, for good measure, the fxo directory as well. This can and will always self-repair so no need to fiddle with temporary moves. DCS will reconstruct the cache from scratch with current settings, and that alone might fix it. If it does, you're done — game on.

If it didn't, the next step is to nuke your settings. Again, temporarily move — don't delete — your %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input directory (and possibly the Config\View directory) the to somewhere safe. This will let you move your binds (and things like stored snap views) back once you've finished experimenting. With those files saved, move the entire Config directory to somewhere else and restart — DCS will rebuild the config using default values. If you've saved your Input and Views directory, copy those back into place, and at most you'll have lost what's in the in-game config menu, which is easy enough to set back.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I tried all those, but had to change to the display. Since I deleted the ED folder on the game drive and the DCS folder in SavedGames, it leads me to believe something was saved in the Registry that isn't removed during the uninstall.

Hmm.

The thing is, DCS doesn't save much of anything in the registry. It used to be module licenses, and that's about it. It's pretty much self-contained within the install and Saved Games directories. I haven't fiddled with it in ages, but it used to be that the registry also held the location of the local user files (i.e. whether you used a “DCS” or a “DCS.openbeta” directory), and it could conceivably be that there's some oddball shenanigans where it read some stuff from a different directory. But then, it would be utterly trivial to spot that you have a duplicate and just eliminate that.

It could still be a registry issue, of course, but that would far more likely be in the graphics card settings and profiles, which makes it hella-annoying to hunt down and will require a bunch of driver up/downgrades and (clean) re-installs to make it work.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Thank you, Tippis and Flappie, for all the help. Indeed, it was a Crossfire issue. Once upon a time, ATI let you enable/disable Crossfire on a per-game basis in the profile. -- no longer. You have to disable it globally or not at all. That really sucks, because for games that use it, you have to re-enable it just before you start. I might as well throw an extra monitor on now, until I get a good VR set. Thanks again! 🙂

• Like 2