DCS and the future !

Mizzy

Dear fellows and felines.

This is a matter of concern due to 'Covid' and the ridiculous prices of GPUs. I, like many, invest in our computer rigs with regularity. This has not been possible since 'Covid' and the classical Kanesian economic model of 'supply and demand' is evident in price of the said GPU's. How will this affect DCS in the near future and it's development? 

We, as consumers, cannot afford the GPU price tags. How will this affect DCS development in the short/medium term ?

Mizzy  

• Like 1

Well a 3080 isn’t required to run DCS. It runs just fine on older GPUs

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It is a matter of concern with other game titles as well, not only with DCS. The problem is real, it can and will deeply affect PC gaming.

This GPU crises is unlikely to end soon, and some have hinted that the problem may spread to other hardware parts (CPUs, RAM, SSDs, PSUs, etc) in not so distant future.

Now, think about the very substancial percentage of PC gamers who have not (and probably will not) upgrade as planned due to this troublesome scenario, and also think about all those who were to get into PC gaming but end resorting (or going back) to Consoles.

So, if we have current users, as well as potential future users, unable to be in (or get into) the hobby as desired (due to hardware limitations), this means we may have substancial numbers to directly and indirectly affect customer base(s) in many PC game titles, as well as a possible shift to competing products (= consoles). 

Less new people gaming on PC means obvious loss of potential sales for PC games, substancially so.

Less people upgrading also means a potential problem to more demanding PC games, current or future.

And in this last case, if we think about PC gamers who are forced to keep with the same (current, or even old) hardware, it means more development will have to shift instead to higher optimization, rather than insisting on even more hardware-demanding shiny effects limiting a potential userbase, more than ever.

Otherwise, we may see high numbers of users resorting to older (and indie) game titles - already happening, somewhat of a statistic on Steam.

Which, itself, means this problem can indirectly affect how ultra-ambitious hardware-demanding new projects are perceived, seeing much lower sales and attention than expected. Which affects their R.O.I., then next time less investment, less jobs, less ambition and progress, and so on.

I see the optimization of DCS (and of other games/sims) possibly becoming the #1 concern at some point, exactly because of this scenario.

The real recommended (not official) hardware specs for DCS were already pretty steep years ago (when there was none of these issues) but, with this problem scenario, have lately become much, much harder to keep with.

I feel that a time will come when DCS's graphical updates, usually resulting in incremental hit in performance, will become worrysome enough to affect sales numbers.

As in, there may be a pretty big number of users, who are unable to upgrade hardware, then becoming forced to, 1) resort to older versions, or 2) accept extremely poor performance to have the latest updates (brings bad memories of FSX!), or 3) quit DCS and go to other virtual aviation titles.

Anyway, that can not be good in the long run.

If you can't make the game work as expected for the largest number of interested users (already limited by their own hardware, by force of circumstances), then you're funelling your product to a wealthy niche only, who on themselves are not enough in numbers to sustain the life of the product.

It's up to E.D. to consider what is more important, it's their product.

But for quite some time now that users have looked inside the game and hinted this issue, and even suggested ways to improve performance of DCS (a few examples below):

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 3

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Well a 3080 isn’t required to run DCS. It runs just fine on older GPUs

HAHA 😂 You're absolutely deluded. :no:

Yes, yes. It runs fine on older GPUs which now cost used almost as much (sometimes more) than what their price was as new some 5 years ago.

If you want DCS 2.7x to run anything decently (note: "decently", not "great"), as default and without performance trickery and mods, you need a GTX1070 8GB for the very least.

........good luck getting one under 300,00€ on ebay! 

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

2 hours ago, LucShep said:

You know you can just turn the graphic settings down, right? There’s no reason you can’t run DCS on a mid level system. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, Mizzy said:

How will this affect DCS in the near future and it's development? 

Not at all? Gamers and GPUs both still exist. High demand has driven prices up, but logically that demand means they are indeed floating around out there.

5 hours ago, Mizzy said:

We, as consumers, cannot afford the GPU price tags.

Well, considering several chip manufacturing plants are being built specifically to deal with the increased demand generated by work from home and crypto, I would expect eventually production will rise to meet the demand and scalping will become less profitable.

In the meantime, it's no different than anything else. People have a tendency to come up with money for the things they're passionate about, whether it's their car, their PC, art, skydiving, paintball, travel, whatever. If a certain hobby is not worth the cost of entry/maintenance to a particular person, then they'll get another hobby they like or can afford better. That's it. The world will not end because of a year or two of inflated GPU prices.

5 hours ago, LucShep said:

I should tell my Dad playing DCS on a 1060 at 1080p is doing it wrong. Ffs the game didn't magically become unplayable over the last six months.

Yes, yes. It runs fine on older GPUs which now cost used almost as much (sometimes more) than what their price was as new some 5 years ago.

Welcome to the free market. If people weren't paying those prices, they wouldn't be charging them.

If you want DCS 2.7x to run anything decently (note: "decently", not "great"), as default and without performance trickery and mods, you need a GTX1070 8GB for the very least.

*eye roll*

........good luck getting one under 300,00€ on ebay! 

Somebody should write up a song for poor, downtrodden gamers forced to run at sub 4k resolutions and medium presets @@

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Makes me wonder if because of the chip markets being what they are that optimizing the core DCS program will become more front and center.

I have read about the push to make the game use multiple threads and better use of hardware other than the GPU, so something is being done. No one knows when these improvements will be completed but the version numbers for DCS is getting close to 3.0!

They just announced the roadmap for the Viper this year. However I have seen many posts recently about people quitting the game for awhile due to frustration. So maybe this needs to be a priority.

As for chip shortages too many people in too many industries are suffering. Automakers have stock sitting in fields because they cant get the electronics for their cars to run. All eggs are in one basket in Korea and Taiwan, the industry will wake up and build more plants to cover the demand. (Or will civilization begin a slide backwards?) Still this shortage will be here for a couple more years.

Crypto mining is going cooling off since China is cracking down and the billionaires have made their investments. Because so I can actually buy a 30XX card, for stupid money, so no thanks.

I often wonder if the price for 30xx cards do come down, do I buy one or wait for for the RTX 40XX. The NVIDIA 30 series is half way through its cycle (Based on prior releases like the 20 series in Sept 2018. Will there be an announcement of the 40 series next spring?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 9:14 AM, Mars Exulte said:

Not at all? Gamers and GPUs both still exist. High demand has driven prices up, but logically that demand means they are indeed floating around out there.

You haven't paid attention to what's been happening with the market - high demand was driven first by scalpers, then by cryptominers. Not by gamers!

Sure, GPUs are floating around, still at over 1.5x the MRSP price. And will probably remain so (possibily increase once more?) given that Etherium value is going up again.

If you insist with the argument that gamers are buying them, then look at Steam surveys on the GPUs used by all registered members (e.g., valid image of PC gamers).
....I'll give you a spoiler:

Spoiler

Scroll the results all the way to the very bottom of the GPU survey page, and see the % of users rocking AMD RX6000 series (RX6700XT, RX6800, RX6800XT and RX6900XT).

The % of all of these combined is less than those using a RTX3090 (already at a low % in those charts)!

Which means that nearly every new AMD GPU unit ended up in the hands of miners and scalpers. Not of gamers. Even when AMD GPUs production was at an all time high.

And that, itself, kind of proves that AMD, like Nvidia, is fulll of B.S. with the "for gamers" (fake) mottos and slogans. 

....pretty shocking, no?

Well, considering several chip manufacturing plants are being built specifically to deal with the increased demand generated by work from home and crypto, I would expect eventually production will rise to meet the demand and scalping will become less profitable.

No it won't rise, because the cost of manufacturing has gone up about 2x, due to higher cost of silicon, metals and minerals, of memory from third parties, and of shipping.

And the interesting part is that they aren't going to cut production to lower volumes (yet), they'll be price-fixing new models (which they are already, see Nvidia's RTX3080Ti, RTX3070Ti and now AMD's RX6600XT kerfuffle).

GPU manufacturers are proving to be in this for the quick buck, short-term profits. And that is problematic, considering the bigger picture.

Like, they don't seem to care if PC gaming is in disarray, as long as miners keep buying their products in bulk for cryptomining farms, no matter how insane prices get to be. 

In the meantime, it's no different than anything else. People have a tendency to come up with money for the things they're passionate about, whether it's their car, their PC, art, skydiving, paintball, travel, whatever. If a certain hobby is not worth the cost of entry/maintenance to a particular person, then they'll get another hobby they like or can afford better. That's it. The world will not end because of a year or two of inflated GPU prices.

Moot point.

That's future guessing on your part, close to the argument many used when the PS3 and XboX360 came out in the mid-2000s: "PC gaming will be just fine" . But then it wasn't.

Not so long after, many teased projects never saw the light of day, simply went down. Development houses for PC games were going bankrupt left and right. 

Then plenty unemployed developers went to mobile and console gaming projects, and never got back into PC games development.

How many competitors did Flanker2.0 had in its day?
And years later, how many competitors did Flaming Cliffs 2 had in its day?

Better yet, how many competitors does DCS have in this day?

If the pandemic and lockdowns somehow brought more people into gaming, then once people return to a more normal way of life, gaming will get less atention again.

Those who keep on it, may not be able to get better GPUs, but they can upgrade other hardware, buy better monitors, or get in the latest trend: VR 

And they seem to be going for it, regardless of having, or not having, potent GPUs. If they don't get acceptable performance in "X" title, they'll go instead for "Y" title where that may be possible. ...I think you can imagine where DCS is in this picture.

I should tell my Dad playing DCS on a 1060 at 1080p is doing it wrong. Ffs the game didn't magically become unplayable over the last six months.

Ah yes, the "mighty" GTX1060 (built dozens of rigs with those years back), perfect for DCS... 👌 (not!)

...in before the "for decades simming at 25-45 fps in a 2D monitor is just fine" brigade! 😂

Word of advice, never let your dad install a certain WWII flight sim competitor, named after a famous russian ground-attack warbird... 

(performing about three times better on same given GPU, while still looking friggin awesome)

Or worse, let's hope he doesn't get into VR like so many now are doing... because it'll be catastrophic on that GTX1060!

Welcome to the free market. If people weren't paying those prices, they wouldn't be charging them.

Newsflash:  people paying those prices are cryptominers... :doh:

Most of the older GPUs with +4GB of VRAM have enough hashrate for mining to justify resorting to those too.

Hence the exponential raise also in used prices, for GPUs such as the GTX1070.

Somebody should write up a song for poor, downtrodden gamers forced to run at sub 4k resolutions and medium presets @@

*eye roll* (see? :rolleyes: ... I can do it too!)

Maybe you're not paying attention to PC gaming in general and where things have been headed.

1080P won't be staying for long - now making sense only for extremely high refresh rates, for twitch shooters.

1440P is the new 1080P.

4K is the new 1440P.

And if that wasn't enough, VR is the new trend and increasing exponentially in numbers. ...right, please tell me next that VR in DCS is "just fine"...  :rolleyes:

Again, people may not be able to get better GPUs, but they can still upgrade other hardware, get better monitors, or get hyped by the latest trend, which is VR.

If a flight-simmer likes DCS, but can not run it at an (expected) acceptable performance and/or image quality "out of the box", then what do you think will happen? 

...as good as this is, and after a while, he'll go elsewhere where it can be a better experience.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Best argument ever. But it sucks. And if anyone thinks the GPU scalper prices were totally out of whack... I've seen this in the past (and just had to take a screenshot):

nici-dash-sitzend-30-dat-price-tag-s.jpg

Wasn't the only one... there were several made by that manufacturer listed and even going for 500+ after they stopped producing those. At some point I was able to get that one for 40, when it initially was available in stores, it was 30. People pay less for ultra high quality custom work made out of minky which is pretty expensive.

Well that's supply and demand (and people who'd sell their granny to get something they really want to have) in a nutshell. Back to the actual topic rdlaugh.png

As for DCS, I think it may look worse than it actually is. I ran it in VR on an old 3570k with a 1080, even though that CPU almost died in MP so I just totally arced around that. But it ran. I had 3 digit frame rates in pancake on that rig already, starting out at around 40 with literally the exact same components and somewhat lower settings 3 years ago. And it even does look better now. So optimization is in the works clearly and won't stop, especially with multi-threading support, the point where Single Pass Stereo won't be WIP anymore, Vulkan and many other things that will come at us.

Also, the GPU market is getting better already. There are cards available which wasn't the case until like one and a half to two months ago. And I've seen 3080 non-tis for almost 2500€ - I could now grab a 3080 ti for 1499€ at Alternate, they have them in stock. Just don't have the bits at the moment to do that. That's still 300€ above MSRP, but I might be willing to pay that (instead of 2 - 3+ times the MSRP) if I could. I'm still somewhat fine with my 1080 though, but I'd love to run my G2 at full res.

And even though that might not really be representative, when browsing this very location, I have the impression that almost every other guy already has a 3090.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

15 hours ago, LucShep said:

You haven't paid attention to what's been happening with the market - high demand was driven first by scalpers, then by cryptominers. Not by gamers!

High demand is being driven by crypto, yes, but more importantly by tens of millions of extra people being home more the last year. Scalpers are taking advantage of both. It's also not just magic invisible bots doing it, either, retail stores are charging the same inflated prices. GPUs are available, you can order just about anything you want at a moment's notice. They're at high prices because idiots are paying it.

Sure, GPUs are floating around, still at over 1.5x the MRSP price. And will probably remain so (possibily increase once more?) given that Etherium value is going up again.

What do you want, federally mandated prices? THAT'S COMMUNISM! /s

If you insist with the argument that gamers are buying them

No, EVERYBODY'S buying them. Crypto miners, gamers, the untold millions with a ton of free time for the last year, etc etc.

No it won't rise, because the cost of manufacturing has gone up about 2x, due to higher cost of silicon, metals and minerals, of memory from third parties, and of shipping.

Again, free market. Demand goes up, resource consumption increases (demand on that going up also), proces go up across the board.

And the interesting part is that they aren't going to cut production to lower volumes (yet), they'll be price-fixing new models (which they are already, see Nvidia's RTX3080Ti, RTX3070Ti and now AMD's RX6600XT kerfuffle).

Yes, the manufacturers will definitely be raising prices and trying to get a piece of this money pie. Free market.

GPU manufacturers are proving to be in this for the quick buck, short-term profits.

No shit. They're not in this because of a deep and abiding love of interactive hentai. There is an opportunity for them to make large amounts of money and raise prices in the longterm. As long as demand remains high, this will remain the case. Free market.

And that is problematic, considering the bigger picture.

Oh dear, our skin IS not conditioned for direct sunlight! We've practically evolved into a sub-race of humanity ill equipped for activities away from the warm glow of LED backlighting!

Like, they don't seem to care if PC gaming is in disarray

*shocked Pikachu*

Business. Free market.

They are in the GPU selling business. They don't give a rat's ass who buys them.

That's future guessing on your part

No, that's ''the world does not revolve around my one particular hobby and I still have a life outside it''.

close to the argument many used when the PS3 and XboX360 came out in the mid-2000s: "PC gaming will be just fine" . But then it wasn't.

I wasn't aware PC gaming had disappeared.

Not so long after, many teased projects never saw the light of day

Gee, I never see that around here.

simply went down. Development houses for PC games were going bankrupt left and right.

Ah, yes, competition. Also a side effect of ''free market''. People buy your stuff, you stay in business. They don't, you go out of business. That's not ''a travesty'' that's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

Then plenty unemployed developers went to mobile and console gaming projects, and never got back into PC games development.

Yeaaaaaaaah? Aaaaaaand? That's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

How many competitors did Flanker2.0 had in its day?
And years later, how many competitors did Flaming Cliffs 2 had in its day?

Better yet, how many competitors does DCS have in this day?

Niche genre is niche? Really?

If the pandemic and lockdowns somehow brought more people into gaming, then once people return to a more normal way of life, gaming will get less atention again.

Probably, yes.

Ah yes, the "mighty" GTX1060 (built dozens of rigs with those years back), perfect for DCS... 👌 (not!)

...in before the "for decades simming at 25-45 fps in a 2D monitor is just fine" brigade! 😂

No, it's not perfect for maxing the game on uptra settings, etc, but yeah it works, so did the 980 I had before that. I get it, you're a power gamer. Good for you, but you still need to recognise your hyperbole.

Word of advice, never let your dad install a certain WWII flight sim competitor, named after a famous russian ground-attack warbird... 

(performing about three times better on same given GPU, while still looking friggin awesome)

Yes, yes, ED bad everybody else better blah blah.

Or worse, let's hope he doesn't get into VR like so many now are doing... because it'll be catastrophic on that GTX1060!

Shocking, not everyone can make use of the latest technology and features?! That didn't.haooen when 4k came out, or 1440, or 1080, or 3d polygons, or....

Newsflash:  people paying those prices are cryptominers... :doh:

Newsflash : crypto is directly tied to price paid vs energy consumed for profitability. No, miners are not buying up tens of thousands of GPUs in bulk at 2-4x MSRP because that would not profitable. This is basic math.

Also, if THEY were the ones buying them, then you wouldn't be able to get them at all right now. Yet, miraculously, you can purchase just about any GPU you want at will. Only gamers are socially inept enough and foolish enough to think paying that much markup is a good move. Browse through the hardware section of these very forums and observe the numerous threads where somebody proudpy declares purchasing a GPU for $3000 because ''THAT TWENTY PERSHENT FPESH WASH TOTALLY WORTH IT''

I'm leaving off here as I have other things to do besides quibbling with a power gamer @@ 

Keypoints to remember:

#1 Free market

#2 Free market

#3 Free market

#4 Not everyone is chasing the latest trends, a short term shortage of GPUs is only a 'travesty' to those who are. The industry will not collapse. Your life will not end.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 8/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Mars Exulte said:

High demand is being driven by crypto, yes, but more importantly by tens of millions of extra people being home more the last year. Scalpers are taking advantage of both. It's also not just magic invisible bots doing it, either, retail stores are charging the same inflated prices. GPUs are available, you can order just about anything you want at a moment's notice. They're at high prices because idiots are paying it.

What do you want, federally mandated prices? THAT'S COMMUNISM! /s

No, EVERYBODY'S buying them. Crypto miners, gamers, the untold millions with a ton of free time for the last year, etc etc.

Again, free market. Demand goes up, resource consumption increases (demand on that going up also), proces go up across the board.

Yes, the manufacturers will definitely be raising prices and trying to get a piece of this money pie. Free market.

No shit. They're not in this because of a deep and abiding love of interactive hentai. There is an opportunity for them to make large amounts of money and raise prices in the longterm. As long as demand remains high, this will remain the case. Free market.

Oh dear, our skin IS not conditioned for direct sunlight! We've practically evolved into a sub-race of humanity ill equipped for activities away from the warm glow of LED backlighting!

*shocked Pikachu*

Business. Free market.

They are in the GPU selling business. They don't give a rat's ass who buys them.

No, that's ''the world does not revolve around my one particular hobby and I still have a life outside it''.

I wasn't aware PC gaming had disappeared.

Gee, I never see that around here.

Ah, yes, competition. Also a side effect of ''free market''. People buy your stuff, you stay in business. They don't, you go out of business. That's not ''a travesty'' that's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

Yeaaaaaaaah? Aaaaaaand? That's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

Niche genre is niche? Really?

Probably, yes.

No, it's not perfect for maxing the game on uptra settings, etc, but yeah it works, so did the 980 I had before that. I get it, you're a power gamer. Good for you, but you still need to recognise your hyperbole.

Yes, yes, ED bad everybody else better blah blah.

Shocking, not everyone can make use of the latest technology and features?! That didn't.haooen when 4k came out, or 1440, or 1080, or 3d polygons, or....

Newsflash : crypto is directly tied to price paid vs energy consumed for profitability. No, miners are not buying up tens of thousands of GPUs in bulk at 2-4x MSRP because that would not profitable. This is basic math.

Also, if THEY were the ones buying them, then you wouldn't be able to get them at all right now. Yet, miraculously, you can purchase just about any GPU you want at will. Only gamers are socially inept enough and foolish enough to think paying that much markup is a good move. Browse through the hardware section of these very forums and observe the numerous threads where somebody proudpy declares purchasing a GPU for $3000 because ''THAT TWENTY PERSHENT FPESH WASH TOTALLY WORTH IT''

I'm leaving off here as I have other things to do besides quibbling with a power gamer @@ 

Keypoints to remember:

#1 Free market

#2 Free market

#3 Free market

#4 Not everyone is chasing the latest trends, a short term shortage of GPUs is only a 'travesty' to those who are. The industry will not collapse. Your life will not end.

That's all good, and we can ping-pong-debate on GPUpocalipse ad eternum (*shocked Pikachu* WTF? 😆 LMAO), have different views, even ignore what it is  - a very obvious problem that will affect PC gaming. Doesn't matter if we agree or not on that.

The fact is DCS is part of PC gaming.

And most of us, as consumers, cannot afford these GPU price tags. That much is certain, and the O.T. has very valid concerns.

How will this affect DCS development in the short/medium term is obviously open to debate. But, IMHO, I'd rather see E.D. do something about it.

Prioritizing optimizations (far more drastically than ever before) does seem the logical thing to do, rather then having this situation ignored and slowly chewing on numbers of members, with all that it ensues.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Hopefully. If these prices become a long term issue, then we could see a shrinking of the market and that's never good for consumers. Hopefully, in such case, developers like ED will adjust their software expectations appropriately.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 8/8/2021 at 1:40 AM, SharpeXB said:

You know you can just turn the graphic settings down, right? There’s no reason you can’t run DCS on a mid level system. 

Exactly!

That's what I did on my old machine and and I still do it on my newer two-ish year old medium-level rig. I have very enjoyable flights with gorgeous graphics. But after turning everything to max yesterday I ended up at about 15fps, so I turned a few things down and was back to normal. If you build your missions and adjust your graphics to be in tune with your rig, you can have a ton of fun on an older PC.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!