Lockheed U-2

Hawkeye60

The Lockheed U-2, nicknamed "Dragon Lady", is an American single-jet engine, ultra-high altitude reconnaissance aircraft operated by the United States Air Force (USAF) and previously flown by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). It provides day and night, high-altitude (70,000 feet; 21,000 m), all-weather intelligence gathering.

Model by Pedro Caparros
Used with permission.

With a big thanks to Backy51 who provided invaluable assistance with the lua data.

ai only

Beta release.

Improvements as needed.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn8ys5k1lkp1gg1/Lockheed U-2 - Dragon Lady ai V1.4.rar?dl=0

Screen_210808_114000.jpgScreen_210808_114044.jpgScreen_210808_114038.jpgScreen_210808_114007.jpgScreen_210808_114002.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Brilliant, thanks. Remember sat outside Akrotiri ATC in Sept 79 about 5am, enjoying the sunrise and the U2 was being walked up to it's take off point, About 20 mins later the roar of the jet as it came down from the right, then before it had covered much of the runway, it tilted upwards and was away, climbing, literally like a rocket. We used to here it at Episkopi across the bay, but being right under it was something else

Up-date 8.11.2021

New lua to correct all data.

New engines for shorter take offs.

Carrier capability added!

From the wiki,

"U-2 carrier operations

At one time, in an effort to extend the U-2's operating range and to eliminate the need for foreign government approval for U-2 operations from USAF bases in foreign countries, it was suggested that the U-2 be operated from aircraft carriers. Three aircraft were converted for carrier operations by the installation of arrester hooks, and carrier-qualified naval aviators were recruited to fly them.

It turned out to be possible to take off and land a U-2 from a carrier. Testing in 1964 with the USS Ranger and in 1969 with the USS America proved the concept. The only operational carrier use occurred in May 1964 when a U-2, operating from USS Ranger, was used to spy on a French atomic test in the Pacific.

In 1969, the larger U-2Rs were flown from the carrier America. The U-2 carrier program is believed to have been halted after 1969."

This should solve all the issues noted above and add a higher max speed.

Let me know!

Cheers.

File attached below.

UN-zip and place in the main aircraft folder.

Allow overwrite.

Screen_210811_153202.jpgScreen_210811_153252.jpgScreen_210811_153247.jpg

dragon_lady.rar

• Thanks 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 2 months later...

So, I managed to make the mod flyable (3rd person for now, but we'll hopefully soon have the viewport at the right spot), for now no download link, as it seems to me that the flightmodel still needs tweaking to for it to be able to reach the legendary ~80.000 ft., which Hawkeye will take care of, soon, afaik)

at some airbase in the western US during the 1950s... 😜

Edited by D4n
  • Like 1
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 1 month later...

Fixed the wingtip vortices.

Edit dragon_lady.lua with the following substitution:

wing_tip_pos = 	{-4.407,	-1.45,		16.4},

As an aside, I think the aero tables are really off. The plane won't achieve stable level flight above ~53k feet; it should be okay through at least 70k feet.

I toyed with increasing the thrust thinking it would be a quick fix, but AoA quickly climbs out of control (> 20 degrees) regardless of thrust.

Maybe someone with the appropriate background and tools can find the proper numbers for NACA63-409.

Edited by HawaiianRyan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1