Vietnam Delta Map

DishDoggie

Rivers in large Delta Area That you can Put Gunboats in. Small Gunboats need to be added to allow them to be put into RIVERS for HUEY missions I am a Fortunate Son Huey Pilot that wants to Fly in a TROPICAL RIVER DELTA MAP with GONBOATS and be all I can BE. BY 5:00am

• Like 2

I very much second this request however I wouldn't want the developers to stop at just a river delta. I would think that it wouldn't really be worth it unless they delivered as much of the Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand area as possible in order to provide for something a bit wider in scope than just a Fortunate Son's helicopter playground. 👍

This area was fought over from WWII up until the end of the Vietnam war in the mid 70's, at least as it would apply to our DCS World anyway.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I very much second this request however I wouldn't want the developers to stop at just a river delta. I would think that it wouldn't really be worth it unless they delivered as much of the Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand area as possible in order to provide for something a bit wider in scope than just a Fortunate Son's helicopter playground. 👍

This area was fought over from WWII up until the end of the Vietnam war in the mid 70's, at least as it would apply to our DCS World anyway.

Lol I agree I was Afraid of my wish being to big.... I would pay the Money for this Map$$$

• Like 1

One day that will be possible. Right now we seem to be limited to around 550km by 550km for a map, or about 275,000 square km of area data.  The area AG-51_Razor talks of, and I do agree that would be the ideal... is about 1500km by 1500km or larger. That's around 2.25 million square km of area, an awful lot more data to store, keep in memory, load from hard drive, and have the developer artists create. 

We're not there yet... but hopefully soon!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:18 PM, DishDoggie said:

Rivers in large Delta Area That you can Put Gunboats in. Small Gunboats need to be added to allow them to be put into RIVERS for HUEY missions I am a Fortunate Son Huey Pilot that wants to Fly in a TROPICAL RIVER DELTA MAP with GONBOATS and be all I can BE. BY 5:00am

A "Mobile Riverine Force" would be amazing.

And that could be our carrier/base with lots of firepower on smaller boats:

NARA_111-CCV-113-CC43650_USS_Benewah_and

• Like 2

wishlist: HH-60G Pave Hawk, MH-60R Sea Hawk, UH-60L Black Hawk, NH90, Super (Sea) Lynx / Mk.88, ME: A placeable animated LSE/marshaller for individual created FARPs

looking forward to: A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair II, BO-105 PAH1A1, C-130J, CH-47F Chinook, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-4E Phantom II, F4U-1D Corsair, OH-58D Kiowa, Tornado

Apache beware of the Sikorsky Armed Black Hawk!

On 8/9/2021 at 10:34 AM, Rick50 said:

One day that will be possible. Right now we seem to be limited to around 550km by 550km for a map, or about 275,000 square km of area data.  The area AG-51_Razor talks of, and I do agree that would be the ideal... is about 1500km by 1500km or larger. That's around 2.25 million square km of area, an awful lot more data to store, keep in memory, load from hard drive, and have the developer artists create. 

We're not there yet... but hopefully soon!

I understand what it is you are saying but I have to ask about the PG map. I used the yard stick tool in the ME and measured almost 1000nm east to west and a little over 600nm north to south. Now I'll grant you that much of that map area is not populated with anything and a lot of it is also covered with water. I don't see a huge technical barrier to producing a map that covers, as I said, " ... as much of the Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand area as possible...". I'm not asking for a super detailed map with all of the cultural features that might be there now, or even 70 or 80 years ago. Just a reasonable facsimilie  with which to allow our immaginations to run free! A bunch of water to place Yankee Station in and a Forestal class CV to occupy that station would be a good start. 👍

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure, but a Vietnam map is going to have a LOT more objects in it than the Syria map, and the Syria map has tons more data to it, not just unique objects, but millions of elevation changes, lots of varied trees, lots of custom structures and buildings... Vietnam is pretty much going to be Syria X4 or more, if for no other reason than the 25 million trees needed for it. Sure, it won't be 25 million separate objects, but to represent and look somewhat real, it will still be an ocean worth of objects to hand make, place, store in data, and then render in game. 

Remember too that I don't think many if any, complained about framerates in the PG map, but many did complain about frames in the Syria map, at least until many upgraded their cards. 

I don't think any of this is a showstopper, I just think it's gonna take some time to get such a map started, more time to get it finished, and by the time it's available in the store to download and fly in, our own hardware may be able to handle it with ease. Or not, if crypto kills GPU prices, if gaming computers get more restrictions and banned for sale, if this, if that... 

But I do look forward to new maps, whatever the cost may be!

Razbam’s South Atlantic map will be considerably larger… if my conversion is right about 1.4 million square km 

Admittedly that’s a fair bit of water though - tropical jungle might be a bit more if a challenge

• Like 1

You people confuse plain linear Kilometres with actual size and object count. Siria map is huge for DCS standards, and still populated and detailed areas are mostly in the centre of the map. Same as Gulf, thousand of kilometres long, but still detailed areas are in the middle of it, the rest is low detailed or no detailed at all. Current maps in DCS work like that always, a very detailed central area, but relatively small in size (the ~600x600Km you mention), then a low detail area, still usable, sometimes even featuring active detail like some aerodromes (Normandy for instance, Cyprus and Turkey in Siria, etc), but low detailed nonetheless, then a large non detailed at all area around with some textures matching the centre, of course it's an actual ground and you could "drive" over there in CA to say something, you see it from the air and it's no weird surprise, but no detail at all and only acting as a courtesy buffer so central detail isn't surrounded by non textured emptiness. With current technology we're still very limited in size despite ED's efforts, and I'm sure they're working in a way to overcome that and enhance their maps, but we aren't there yet.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Agreed.  Fly to the edges of the PG or Caucasus maps, and you'll find a baren wasteland resembling the arctic circle, north of the tree line... low poly hills, dead flat areas, few if any trees, few roads...

Also, with the South Atlantic map... it's not released. We have no idea what framerates will be like in the final product, nor what terrain size will actually feature in the final product.  Will it handle many in multiplayer and still give good framerates, with a milion square KM's ?? How about a full muliplayer campaign? Without crashing your computers? I think the jury is still out on that one, at least until RAzbam delivers on that map, whatever year that might be... maybe they are waiting on hardware upgrades too!  Also consider that, at least from what I saw in pictures and descriptions from the war, those islands don't have trees, or at least not many trees. And very very few objects or details... maybe less than 1000 houses, the greatest complexity being Port Stanley, which seems to be little more than a sleepy small town in those days. So for pure object details, I'll bet the Falklands map would have roughly the detail that a single square kilometer of city detail from the Syria map, like Damascus or Beirut.  I'd expect a Vietnam map would have higher object counts through the entire map, than Damascus or Beirut, which would affect framerates, and the ability to have multiplayer in an enjoyable result. 

Takes time to develop a map for DCS, I think Mariannas map took 1.5 years from announcment to download, but might have been longer. Thing is, as nice as that map is... 99% of it is water. Not complaining, it's nice and free, just saying that for a Vietnam map that will satisfy, will require a LOT of time and resources to make, and then will take a lot of computer and GPU to render it smoothly in an airland battle... smoke, rockets, miniguns spraying everywhere, jets and Hueys galore! Add in a million trees, rivers, traffic, AAA and SAM nets, thousands of elevation changes.  That would likely cripple today's gaming rigs.

Agreed.  Fly to the edges of the PG or Caucasus maps, and you'll find a baren wasteland resembling the arctic circle, north of the tree line... low poly hills, dead flat areas, few if any trees, few roads...

Very OT.
Sorry Rick, don't really wanna be an arse, just want to give you a heads up.
The "treeline" has nothing to do with the Arctic Circle.

The tree line is the edge of the habitat at which trees are capable of growing. It is found at high elevations and high latitudes. Beyond the tree line, trees cannot tolerate the environmental conditions (usually cold temperatures, extreme snowpack, or associated lack of available moisture).

Also the Polar Circles are defined by where the Sun is never setting/rising the further South/North you travel depending of the time of year.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk