Speedbrake behaviour in real aircraft

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Hi, just a quick question. I know for the speedbrake switch, it seems backwards (aft) is to deploy the speedbrake as long as the switch is engaged. Forward retracts the speedbrake but my question is - in the real aircraft, is it suppose to retract all the way or only as long as the switch stays engaged in the forward position? Is there a difference in the way this is done between the F18 and F16? In that other sim's F-16, I noticed it retracts only for as long as the switch is held (forward) based on their stock Warthog key profile. Thanks in advance!

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

It would be really helpful if you got a winwing f18 throttle:

1. SB switch has 3 positions, backward, forward, neutral.

2. Backward position is spring loaded, you have to hold "extend" to extend speedbrake.

3. Forward position is not spring loaded, if you want to retract SB you keep it in forward position and SB will keep retracting, until it's fully retracted (it's okay to leave it forward, thanks to technology).

4. If you just want to extend a bit or retract a bit, put it either in forward or backward until the speedbrake is at desired position, and return it to neutral: SB will hold that position.

Not sure about 16.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goAdA said:

It would be really helpful if you got a winwing f18 throttle:

1. SB switch has 3 positions, backward, forward, neutral.

2. Backward position is spring loaded, you have to hold "extend" to extend speedbrake.

3. Forward position is not spring loaded, if you want to retract SB you keep it in forward position and SB will keep retracting, until it's fully retracted (it's okay to leave it forward, thanks to technology).

4. If you just want to extend a bit or retract a bit, put it either in forward or backward until the speedbrake is at desired position, and return it to neutral: SB will hold that position.

Not sure about 16.

Thanks. I have the warthog throttle and its speedbrake switch is similar to what you described. I would infer then that the concept of using speedbrakes, at least for the F18 and F16, is that the pilot is able to stop/resume at any position when extending or retracting the speedbrakes. 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I read somewhere (probably NATOPS) that the Hornet's speedbrake has a tendency to creep open if the switch is left in the centre. To make sure it stays closed the switch must be in the FWD position, hence it not being spring-loaded.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

2.8.4.8.1 Speedbrake Switch.

The speedbrake switch is on the right throttle grip and has three unmarked positions.

Aft detent Extends the speedbrake as long as the switch is held aft. Springloaded to center detent.

Forward detent Retracts the speedbrake or maintains the speedbrake retracted and pre-vents creep.

Center detent Stops the speedbrake in any position. The speedbrake may slowly creep open.

Edit: that's from NATOPS but I'm struggling with quote tags on the tablet

Edited by Brun
  • Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals