Hornet Single Player not playable anymore in the Beta-version

oho

because of the AI flight-modell bug. I know it's a known issue and I think it's an easy fix to revert to the old. There are no files to be replaced manually I read. I just want to show the urgency again that all SP with Beta version are grounded since 2 weeks. Please fix that soon.

• Like 1

reduce their take off weight... usually a single tank and 2 inner air to ground stations occupied .... refuel on the way out and back

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

"reduce their take off weight... usually a single tank and 2 inner air to ground stations occupied .... refuel on the way out and back"

I was talking about AI and I can't change the take off weight for any scripted campaigns because the weapons are part of the mission design.  

of course you can.

I do it all the time, go into the mission editor from the campaign mission launch screen and adjust the weapon loadout.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

don't get me wrong its a real, problem, ED have already acknowledged it, but this is beta, so flex a little, its far from unusable 

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

reduce their take off weight... usually a single tank and 2 inner air to ground stations occupied .... refuel on the way out and back

You can't make the AI refuel, other than MAYBE your own wingman, and that's extremely unreliable.  Typically he just heads off on a heading after you tell him to hit the tanker, until he flames out and ejects. 

You can't make other AI flights refuel at all. 

Yes, you can probably script a single mission where you can set up some AI flights that work, if you micromanage everything from carrier position to existing air defenses enroute to the target, to the position of the target, to the fact that they're guaranteed not to face any enemy air etc.  But that's not particularly fun.  Trying to use naval air in a more dynamic environment right now - for instance, in a Liberation campaign - is impossible.  You can't use block 20 Hornets because of the takeoff drag bug.  You can't use Tomcats because of the taxiing and refusal-to-launch bugs.  And you can't use the normal, non-block 20 hornets because they're affected by the same bug as the Tomcats.

The entirety of naval aviation is currently hard broke in the beta, for any kind of mission or campaign that uses any naval AI at all.  I really do wonder if the devs understand this.  It's not just a Hornet bug, or a "minor" AI quirk or inconvenience.  Naval air AI currently does not exist. 

Personally, I haven't used DCS since this became apparent, I've been spending my limited sim time in the civilian sim.  I'm genuinely surprised this hasn't been deemed worthy of a hotfix, but I'm sure hoping it gets addressed on the next update, and I'm hoping that's tomorrow lol. 

1 minute ago, Stearmandriver said:

Annnddd...  I'll be darned. I just checked the patch status for the heck of it, and I see a hotfix dropped 1 hour ago.  No patch notes published for it yet, that I can find.  Can anyone report if they've fixed the Hornet AI?  I won't be able to try till Friday ;).

I thought the hotfix patch was scheduled for tomorrow

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

the patch is not due until the 11th:

"

Currently version number: DCS 2.7.4.9847 Open Beta hot fix

Next update:  Planned 11th August 2021 ( subject to final checks )

I can certainly make my own wingman refuel (in daylight), as you point out its not possible to get other flight to refuel unless its scripted...  but most aircraft will make it to the target on a single tank... mission dependent of course,  they die bravely for the cause... it's not ideal .. but my survival is fine (assuming i can survive anyway:) )

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

I notice that that was posted 1 hour ago, which is why I thought there was a hotfix.  Are you saying that's the current version, and they just updated the next update date? Disappointing. 

Yeah I guess it depends what style of gameplay you like.  I don't love sending poorly armed AI off to die, I like seeing a bunch come back from missions and fly around the boat with me. Plus Hornets aren't cheap in Liberation haha. But really, it's the immersion-breaking issue that gets me. You just can't do this realistically right now. 

I don't know why it might be, but the last several months I've probably been averaging less than 50% on getting my own wingman to refuel.  It's just difficult to understand why devs seem to just be ok with the current level of AI brokenness.  If you're gonna brand yourselves as concerned with realism...

Yes, the core game is coming up 15 years old and we still dont have vaguely competent AI, it is frustrating. I was going to say how difficult can it be, but plainly pretty difficult!! 

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.