Live Weather

lharv71

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 1:38 AM, Tank50us said:

They're actually working on that right now.

Live weather (as in pull the current weather from a "reliable source") or Live/Dynamic weather that changes over time?

As much as I like the current clouds, they are a pain because they don't really move like they do in real-life. In other words, they don't move at all. So if your target is currently covered by a broken/scattered layer, in real-life you can circle around, wait a few minutes, and the clouds move... in DCS... not so much (or at least nothing like they would do in real-life).

I'm more looking into the later. I don't care for "real weather" as I don't live near any of the DCS "maps" (so I don't care what the weather is in Syria right now), but I do like to simulate an overcast that clears, or weather that deteriorates (forcing an ILS approach when I took from from a nice sunny day).

Edited by Neurus
  • Like 2

The roadmap when the new cloud tech landed was the static templates for now, with dynamic and wind affected clouds further down the development timeline. 

It’s an iterative process. No timeline has been given as to when these improvements will be available.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Neurus said:

I'm more looking into the later. I don't care for "real weather" as I don't live near any of the DCS "maps" (so I don't care what the weather is in Syria right now), but I do like to simulate an overcast that clears, or weather that deteriorates (forcing an ILS approach when I took from from a nice sunny day).

Yep, I second this

I haven't seen the confirmation from ED that they're working on this (though I'm sure Tank50us didn't just make it up), but personally I think implementation of a live weather system is a big waste of time and resources on ED's side. In fact, I think it's a waste of money for ED, as I doubt that a live weater system will pull more DCS customers.

In that other huge civilian sim, yes, I can imagine you want to fly from where you live, in the same like weather/time, but for DCS I think the vast majority of players just want realistic (historic) scenarios.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

but for DCS I think the vast majority of players just want realistic (historic) scenarios.

Well to me, it's just that a static cloud covering a target in a 2/8 scattered weather is very unrealistic.

It reminds me of this:

Ghim của Leta Anderson trên pink panther | Hình minh họa

Where the panther is the objective.

😄

Edited by Neurus

• 3 weeks later...

My reasoning behind this is I have just recently completed a "fully" functional continuously operating Syrian theater to use for mission design. All SAM sites working (using Skynet IADS) everything including SuperCarrier cyclic operations. However, if the weather is not updated continuously then you loose the realism of a constantly changing theater.