Cannot Lift Cargo Mission 8

Dantagonistic

I just tried starting mission 8 and attached the cargo, but it seems I just don't have the power to lift it off the ground. Usually I'd disable anti-icing but it doesn't seem like a great idea given the environment. I know there was a bug recently where cargo didn't have any weight that has since been fixed. Once I get tension on the rope I just can't lift anymore and any further increase in collective causes gen fails.

9 часов назад, Dantagonistic сказал:

Thanks for taking a look but there's still a possibility that it's something I'm doing wrong. Let me know how you get on.

That's what I did. We tested this mission 2 times, two different people, but we fly the Mi-8 well.
The problem is in the smooth movement of the collective. If you do this very very smoothly, and also very smoothly increase the forward speed, then you will succeed!
But taking into account the different experiences of the players, I reduced the weight of the load to 2300 kg. Previously, it weighed 2700. Now it will be lighter, the helicopter can be in a stable hover with a load. But smooth control of the collective pitch lever is still the key to the success of the Mi-8.
Mission will be updated in the next DCS Open Beta update

Edited by STONE SKY

I tried again and managed to finish the mission but still had problems. I tried very slow collective increases when picking up the cargo but it just wouldn't lift up - I ended up dragging the crate around the yard until I got some translational lift! Dropping the cargo off was also difficult as I couldn't keep my altitude, so I had to 'run in' and perfectly stop above the platform while slowly descending, meanwhile trying not to gen fail. Do you have any general advice for heavy sling loads? I imagine there's something I could do which would make it easy, especially since you said you managed to take off in to a hover.

• Thanks 1

17 часов назад, Dantagonistic сказал:

I tried again and managed to finish the mission but still had problems. I tried very slow collective increases when picking up the cargo but it just wouldn't lift up - I ended up dragging the crate around the yard until I got some translational lift! Dropping the cargo off was also difficult as I couldn't keep my altitude, so I had to 'run in' and perfectly stop above the platform while slowly descending, meanwhile trying not to gen fail. Do you have any general advice for heavy sling loads? I imagine there's something I could do which would make it easy, especially since you said you managed to take off in to a hover.

I suggest waiting for the update. All these experiments don't make sense, so I reduced the weight of the load. ED for a long time could not fix the sling load, now it worked, but the weight of the load behaves strangely. You can try to reduce the fuel up to 60% through ground personnel. But I have not tested if it will be enough for the entire flight. I think you can try. It is a pity that there is no way to remove the ramp through the ground personnel, that would solve all the problems.  If you were able to put the load on the platform without a load indicator (and it definitely does not work and this is a DCS bug) then I express my deep respect to you! You don't need my advice, you are a real virtual pilot !!!   
PS Do not try to disable the anti-icing system, it is trapped by the icing trigger and engine failure will occur

Thanks for the compliment but I think it was luck more than anything. It was good that my crew told me the height I need to be at when dropping off the cargo - that was definitely helpful. I did think about reducing fuel but I was fairly low when I finished, so I don't think I could get away with reducing much of it. I always put the heater on while in these Arctic missions - do you know if the heater reduces engine power?

2 часа назад, Dantagonistic сказал:

do you know if the heater reduces engine power?

yes, not much