A wishlist of things I'd like to see in DCS

cailean_556

Either as an ED project, or a 3rd party project, these are the things I think/wish would be great additions for DCS.

Ultimately, without a dedicated timeframe to work with (with aircraft ranging from WW2 to as late as 2010ish), it's hard to say 'this or that would be great in DCS'. If DCS stuck to just the Cold War, there are plenty of both western and Soviet aircraft which would be great additions to DCS however the the timeframe being so wide, and the emerging aircraft becoming continuously more modern, less modern aircraft provide more of a novelty than a serious capability to most and the lack of "modern AA missiles" would probably see it being shunned and shouted down by those that think PvP is the sole and only function of DCS.

=AIR=

BAE Hawk 100 and 200 series - AI or a FF module pack. To replace the lost Hawk T.1 module by that company that shall not be named, a FF module pack consisting of a 2-seat trainer and 1-seat light attack/fighter could be developed to fulfil the role of modern western trainer aircraft (directly competing with the C-101) while also providing region-specific (especially in the Persian Gulf) like-aircraft.

A-4G and/or K Skyhawk - Either as an AI and then a FF module, or as a FF module. The A-4G was utilised by the RAN for use aboard the carrier HMAS Melbourne. It was unique in that it did not possess the "avionics hump" and was fitted with the capability to carry 4 AIM-9s instead of 2 - to increase its air defence capability. The A-4K is significant in that the aircraft is now operated by a private company (Draken International) although these were formerly used by the RNZAF. It has the capabilities of the previous iterations but has the expanded capabilities to carry and utilise AIM-9L, AGM-65 Mavericks and the GBU series of weapons (though not able to self-lase as far as I am aware). The A-4K provides the most "modern" type still in active service (with a civilian company) while the G (of which the RNZAF bought from the RAN and upgraded to K standard) provides the 'classic' look of a Vietnam-era A-4 while also providing a unique advantage via 4 AIM-9s (I am currently unsure whether those upgraded to K standard retained 4 AIM-9s or whether the K models could also carry 4 AIM-9s as part of their upgrade under 'Project KAHU').

Failing that, ED 'adopting' the A-4E-C module and incorporating it as a free FF module included with DCS, alongside the unarmed TF-51, would also work. This would enable the development team (if they should wish to continue working on it as a form of ED subsidiary as ED may not have the time, manning and resources to work on this among other projects) access to the SDK that would greatly benefit the entire community with the fully supported addition of the A-4 into DCS. It would also provide a 'taste' of what a FF jet module looks and feels like as well as enable a taste of carrier operations (especially once the Forrestal-class carrier is released). This would also mean those who already enjoy the mod wouldn't have to 'buy something they got for free', or rely on an older version of DCS to keep flying it (such as the Hawk issue).

A-4s were also in use with Australia, New Zealand, Kuwait, Israel, the US, Singapore, Argentina and Brazil (nations already in DCS, except NZ and Singapore) with Argentina and Brazil still operating their fleets in reduced capacities.

F-4E/J/K/S Phantom II - Either as an AI and then a FF module package, or as a FF module package (similar to Heatblur's F-14A/B). The F-4 needs little introduction or explanation. The E was the most widely exported version of the F-4 with a number of users and sub-types being developed over time, such as the F-4EJ and EJ Kai of Japan, the F-4/F-4F ICE of Greece and Germany (which had the AN/APG-65 radar - early Hornet radar - and gave it AMRAAM capability), and the F-4 2020 Terminator of Turkey which introduced a suite of air to ground ordnance changes and upgrades (such as the AGM-88 and TGP capabilities) while curiously not providing for AMRAAM capability. While the Vietnam-era USAF F-4E lacks these things, as the type is no longer in service (save Iran), an F-4E variant instead of USAF F-4E would also be acceptable - especially if it included use of more modern weapons systems in DCS. In my opinion, the Greek F-4 ICE provides the "best all-round" variant as it enables AMRAAM capability and precision AG capability, however I believe the Turkish variant offers the largest array of AG ordnance including AGM-88, enable SEAD/DEAD missions without requiring the dedicated "Wild Weasel" F-4G platform but doesn't specify being able to fire AMRAAMs.

The F-4J is the "improved" version of the Vietnam-era USN/USMC F-4, fitted with a host of improvements including new engines and radar, ground attack enhancements, new ejection seats and, oddly, the removal of the IRST (the bulge under the nose). It is carrier capable, operating off of Forrestal-class carriers (being introduced for free to all DCS users at some point) using bridles from the catapult - like the A-4 - and would serve as a 'good compromise' for a Vietnam-era aircraft that was also used in more modern/recent times.

The F-4K (FG.1) was the RN and RAFs version and it is unique in that it is fitted with Spey engines, and a nose gear extension (oleo) similar in function to the F-5s nosewheel, as the F-4 flying off of the RN carriers required a higher AOA on take off (which I believe was related the weight of the Phantoms). Other differences included a distinctive 'squared' tail fin (which housed the RWR) and the compatability with the UK Skyflash missile (developed from the AIM-7) and the SUU-30 gunpod. The RAF took delivery of the RNs F-4 fleet when the type was retired from service after the carrier, the HMS Ark Royal, was selected for decommissioning. The type saw extensive service in the RAF as an air defence fighter, intercepting Russian Tu-95s very regularly, as well as enjoying deployments to the Falklands after the Falklands War to ensure UK sovereignty. UK Phantoms retained the 'probe and drogue' refuelling system of the non-F-4E variants.

The F-4S was a further improvement over the F-4J with the addition of smokeless engines and leading edge slats that improve manoeuvrability, it would be the 'ultimate Cold War F-4' operated by the USN and USMC while retaining the capabilities of the F-4J but having a slightly slower top speed while having improved agility in the air over the F-4J.

P-3 Orion - More as an AI than a FF module, however a FF module would prove interesting in that it is both a turbo-prop, it has more than 2 engines and is nor your typical high performance fighter. Utilised by several nations in DCS, including the US, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Iran. This aircraft would not look out of place in DCS, especially in the Persian Gulf, as it is used for maritime patrol and ISR duties.

Boeing 707 - More as an AI than a FF module, the 707 would be both a civilian airliner and used as a tanker aircraft (separate model) - especially by countries such as Australia (prior to the A330 MRTT) and Iran among others. The basis of the 707 is already in DCS - the E-3. Remove the radar and the associated antennas on the aircraft and a high quality 707 model is already on hand.

Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 -  Mainly intended as an AI. The 737 provides the base for aircraft such as the P-8 and particularly the E-7 'Wedgetail' (in RAAF service) if they were to enter DCS at some point in the future, however the purpose of the 737 and A320 in this instance is to provide AI civilian air traffic as they are arguably the most common airliner types in the world - both as a piece of immersion, to provide false/incorrect atrgets or as the centre piece for missions requiring interception.

Su-22M4 Fitter H - Either as an improved AI model and then a FF module, or as a FF module. The laws surrounding acquisition of Russian equipment could be circumvented by acquiring data from countries such as Poland or the Czech Republic where, while the aircraft is still in service (in Poland), it is slowly being phased out in favour of NATO-compliant, "western" equipment. The Czechs retired theirs in the early 2000s. 'REDFOR', or just Russian/Soviet-era air forces in general in DCS lack any form of 'traditional' FF attack aircraft, save the L-39 and MiG-21. This aircraft would fit in DCS: Syria as the Syrians operate the type (unsure if it is the M4 specifically) as well as providing a stand-in for Russian versions of the type in the Caucasus.

Yak-38 Forger - Either an an AI or a FF module. A Yak-38 DCS module has been expressed as an objective by CubanAce however, in the interim, even an AI Forger (and corresponding carrier, see further below) would provide some earlier-period NATO/Soviet air and naval interactions, in addition to intersting 'what if' scenarios.

Expanded UAVs - Especially in the more modern arena, the incursion of UAVs into airspace is just as much a threat as an aircraft and there have been numerous instances in recent times of UAVs being shot down, particularly UAVs/RPASs/drones of US and Iranian origin. The addition of more UAV types (from the US, Europe, China and Iran) enables mission makers to get more creative and provides more ISR/JTAC assets as well as targets for air, ground and sea assets.

Personal Ultimate Wish: DCS: Su-30 - Even the solely-for-export Su-30SME with reduced top speed, take off weight and service ceiling - all likely on account of having less powerful engines. Though information is limited, it's also likely the aircraft has a less capable radar. The SME is derived from the Russian Air Force Su-30SM, itself derived from the Su-30MKI developed for India. Though this very much fits in the "modern" category (and would be the most modern in terms of year developed, ~2016), the addition of the Su-30SME into DCS would probably end up being EDs 'flagship' module. To my knowledge, the Su-30SME (specifically - unless it was reclassified based on the buyer) has no operators however it could be used as a stand-in for Su-30 users (including Russia) in DCS. It would also provide a greater degree of flexibility in terms of weapons and systems - as it could be modelled to its fullest extent as it is not being modelled to simulate an aircraft operated by one specific country but an aircraft offered for export to any country that wants it. It would ideally have an AI assistant (like Petrovich) that can fulfil a pilot or operator role, support multi-crew, and be able to utilise (interestingly and uniquely) non-Russian equipment and munitions such as the Thales Damocles targeting and surveillance pod (proven by Malaysia and since adopted by Russia) to deliver precision/laser guided ordnance.

=GROUND=

Rebel Faction -  Essentially a copy of the Insurgent faction that would enable REDFOR and BLUFOR to have/support their own 'insurgent/rebel' faction while attacking the other. This is very obviously useful in DCS: Syria but can also be utilised in DCS: Persian Gulf, or in any map given a decent story/narrative.

Armed Technicals - A utility vehicle (such as a Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser) featuring variants fitted with a heavy MG (DShK), a recoilless rifle, a ZU-23 emplacement and a rocket pod/MRLS added to both the Insurgent and (if added) Rebel faction.

Expanded SHORAD Systems - Skyguard/shield system (to enable NATO/western AAA instead of using ZU-23 emplacements), French Crotale SAM, Mistral, Pantsir, RBS-70.

=SEA=

UK, French, early Soviet/Russian, Indian, Brazilian, Argentine, Australian carriers - Centaur-class, Majestic-class (RAN), Clemenceau-class and Kiev-class (aircraft carrying cruiser). These carriers, while they don't yet have aircraft to operate from them in the core DCS currently, save maybe helicopters, adds unique aircraft options. The F-8 Crusader, the A-4 (if it were to become a module, though not the exact variant), the Etendard AI (maybe module), the Sea Harrier and the F-4 (from the western side) and the Yak-38 Forger (for Russian/Soviet bloc - CubanAce remaining hopeful he can develop the module) can and have operated from these carrier types. It would also add interesting scenarios for mission makers, given the maps and modules both out for DCS and in development.

Expanded naval assets - UK, French, German, Italian, Spanish (and improved Russian models) ships - the DCS oceanic environment is very much a Russia v US affair, though some recent additions have been made (La Combattante). UK naval assets are coming as part of the South Atlantic map though those will only be for buyers of the map, but any Cold War period ships by any country, especially those contained within the regions the DCS maps are limited to, would be of great benefit.

• Like 1

The only reason I didn't include the Su-7 is because of the later Cold War advantages of the Su-22 and it being used by more countries. But the Su-7 would also be right at home in DCS: Syria.

The F-105 would be better suited to a Vietnam map as they didn't really see 'traditional' Cold War action. Plus, to add insult to injury, they were replaced by F-4s. But going on an Iron Hand mission in Thud over the jungles of South East Asia would be pretty cool.

I hope CubanAce can deliver the goods too. It's not the most potent, or capable, but it is definitely something uniquely Soviet and (with the eventual arrival of the Sea Harrier) will be well placed for several "Cold War gone hot" scenarios - but we'd need a suitable map for that too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cailean_556 said:

The only reason I didn't include the Su-7 is because of the later Cold War advantages of the Su-22 and it being used by more countries. But the Su-7 would also be right at home in DCS: Syria.

The F-105 would be better suited to a Vietnam map as they didn't really see 'traditional' Cold War action. Plus, to add insult to injury, they were replaced by F-4s. But going on an Iron Hand mission in Thud over the jungles of South East Asia would be pretty cool.

I hope CubanAce can deliver the goods too. It's not the most potent, or capable, but it is definitely something uniquely Soviet and (with the eventual arrival of the Sea Harrier) will be well placed for several "Cold War gone hot" scenarios - but we'd need a suitable map for that too.

The Su-7 and Su-22 is another case where I'm wondering if it would be possible to have both.  Back to the Thud, they did sit nuclear alert during the cold war and the most advanced version of the D, which got the Thunderstick fire control system was never used in Vietnam. In either case I'd at least like them to appear as AI.

• Like 3

The differences between the Su-7 and Su-22 would be significant enough to warrant their own modules, I would think. I don't think it would be as simple as say changing the engine type (which is a gross over-simplification of the process, I know) in an F-4. The Su-7 lacked both functionality and capability the Su-22 had, beyond the VG wings. Obviously very different flight models too, as a result.

To be fair, I think even the F-4 package would probably be easier if the F-4E, F-4K and F-4J/S were developed as separate modules due to the number of not just external but also internal differences. But I also think that to most people (that don't truly appreciate the aircraft), they just see a gun, or a different tail and go "Is that all that's changed? Why are there so many F-4 modules when they're all the same plane?" But...until someone goes "Oh, we're developing this", any F-4 is simply a pipe dream. 😞 

If we could get a Thud in DCS, it opens the door to the F-111 too (which I'm surprised I missed the first time around). I don't believe they were ever historically used in the regions DCS has currently, but that won't stop people from finding ways to use them, same as the F-105.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cailean_556 said:

The differences between the Su-7 and Su-22 would be significant enough to warrant their own modules, I would think. I don't think it would be as simple as say changing the engine type (which is a gross over-simplification of the process, I know) in an F-4. The Su-7 lacked both functionality and capability the Su-22 had, beyond the VG wings. Obviously very different flight models too, as a result.

I expect that would be the case as well.  The question though is if there is interest? I had two modules of the FW-190

To be fair, I think even the F-4 package would probably be easier if the F-4E, F-4K and F-4J/S were developed as separate modules due to the number of not just external but also internal differences. But I also think that to most people (that don't truly appreciate the aircraft), they just see a gun, or a different tail and go "Is that all that's changed? Why are there so many F-4 modules when they're all the same plane?" But...until someone goes "Oh, we're developing this", any F-4 is simply a pipe dream.

Again this is probably correct, I would also toss in the F-4D in the Phantom list.

If we could get a Thud in DCS, it opens the door to the F-111 too (which I'm surprised I missed the first time around). I don't believe they were ever historically used in the regions DCS has currently, but that won't stop people from finding ways to use them, same as the F-105.

True, and frankly I don't care. I'd like Eagle to make a Vietnam or Central Europe map but until that happens, I'm fine with doing the battle of the Black Sea or a Mid East show down. Though getting assets and modules for the Arab Israeli wars would be good.