CBU97

Spirale

Is it possible/ realisitic to bring CBU97 for the Harrier?

When a group of middle/heavy armored vehicules are parked, the currently MK20 bombs does nearly nothing.

However when you bomb the same area with ether F16 or A10C equiped with the deadly CBU97, destruction is here.

I wonder why the Harrier is already and well equiped with modern weapons like GBU54 and no CBU97 ( as 105)?

Thx for your answer

Only the USAF adopted the CBU-97/105, which also leads to that (as far as I know) the Navy/Marines planes aren't certified to carry and drop the bombs. So no chance for those bombs to appear on the Harrier, or the F-18 for that matter.

About the rockeyes, they can be finicky, but they can definitely kill heavier armored vehicles. I recommend you to start a mission with unlimited ammo and then for you to experiment with different release parameters. Tanks like the T-90 generally requires 2 bombs kill, but it is very much possible. Try dives around 30-40 degrees, In think that's where I have found success.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spirale said:

I wonder why the Harrier is already and well equiped with modern weapons like GBU54 and no CBU97 ( as 105)?

Because neither the Navy nor the USMC uses the CBU-97/105. Only the USAF does. And because of that the CBU-97/105 has not been integrated into the Harrier or the Hornet IRL.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

23 hours ago, Wisky said:

if you drop at a nose down angle of 30-45° the bomblets will be much more focused on a small area and as such do a lot more damage, also on heavier armor. CCRP should only be used for lightly armored stuff

You can drop bombs on CCRP while diving... they did that IRL during desert storm. It's very precise, you use DMT/TPOD to find the target, drop using CCRP (usually from a shallow 10º dive angle). Almost LGB precision... 😃

• 4 weeks later...