Searching for files build by own Hornet panels

GrafRotz

Hey there,

a while a go, i made my first steps with DCS Bios and made my crapy Harrier UFC, which seemed to be easier to build as the Hornet UFC.

Now i am ready to do the next step and bought an Ortur laser to laze the nice writings into my acrylic sheets.

I saw those great videos and threads from all the guys around, who made those epic panels and now i want to start with my own Hornet panels.

The point is, i am not able to find any suitable files. At least not for free.

What i found was, that there are some guys who are selling their data,  but those seems to be the whole pit.

I am just interested into the panels itself.

Don't get me wrong, i am absolutely willing to pay for this, but as i am at the absolute beginning of the journey... I hope, you get me.

I just want to test, if i am on the right track with my skills and my tools.

My first thoughts where to start with something easy like the APU and Engine Crank, or the External Lights Panel.

There are some sources available:

- openhornet: they don't have anything useful for me, or i am to stupid to understand this git thingy

- hornetpits: still waiting for the activation. The Facebookpage seems to be dead...

- Natops: yeah, but no measurements and i would have to edit the pictures, work which I could do, but the results may be to far from the original.

Maybe i just need to get the push into the right direction,

thanks for your help!

• Like 1

i don't know, what you try to tell me, but let me quote myself 😉

3 hours ago, GrafRotz said:

There are some sources available:

- openhornet: they don't have anything useful for me, or i am to stupid to understand this git thingy

let me go a bit deeper into that.

I tried to understand, what they do, and how they approach it.

As of now, they only have the main instrument Panel, or the Ejection seat, which both are not, what i am searching for.

Right now, i am playing around with CAD to get a bit out of it.

It is well worthwhile to figure out how to get around open hornets. They have a discord and folks there can help get you going. You have to download/clone the repository. Solid works is their cad of choice $$. There is a link to a reader which can likely export to your format of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you serious about making your own parts I don't see any way around learning at least the basics of CAD. even if you find premade panels you will more often than not need to make modifications. Effort of learning will pay off big time.

Let me know if you want me to show you around my process.

2v2aaMKrRxUHnUD.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

12 hours ago, Fusedspine33 said:

It is well worthwhile to figure out how to get around open hornets. They have a discord and folks there can help get you going.

I think, that's the way I have to go. Seriously, I expected, that those files fly around in the internet these days.

3 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

If you serious about making your own parts I don't see any way around learning at least the basics of CAD. even if you find premade panels you will more often than not need to make modifications. Effort of learning will pay off big time.

As I mentioned, I am way before doing anything seriously. I want to try my own abilities in skills and tools. I am still missing a CNC router, which I plan to build myself. This is my approach to build more, lets say bigger pits at my retirement and on the way to there start developing my tools and building small experimental builds.

So i am right now not at all planning to build a whole cockpit, but parts of it. In the end maybe universal main panels. There is a great thread here... but I thought I start with something quite easy like one of the smallest parts of the hornet pit, something I might use on a daily base like the engine crank panel.

Oh yeah, and playing around with creating my own magnetic switch... which is a total different story 🙂

But to your offer, thanks, there once was a Job training, maybe 20 years ago, where I had some CAD experiences. So, the rudiments should still be there 🙂 

Hi GrafRotz 😄

Try TinkerCad! It's so simple to use and if you only like to do simple things first, it's really the program of choice. I have even made very complex things with it, like eg. the AH-64D collective. I use a combination of TinkerCad, MeshMixer (for smoothing & hollowing things made with TinkerCAD) and Meshlab (only for repairs if something goes wrong with the mesh while ex/importing) for all my works and I'm able to do all I want this way, without beeing a CAD expert.

It's not the professional way and TinkerCAD was never meant to produce complex things like HOTAS or something similar, but it works for me and it is so simple to learn and use. Panels or relatively simple shapes are made within a few hours instead of learning a complex CAD program like eg. FreeCAD or something else and takes you weeks or months just to learn the program itself for beeing able to do a little switch or knob.

It's the matter of what you want. Quick relative good results for your pit or learning CAD. If you want to learn CAD and make really professional results, it's not the way to go.

Edited by Viper1970

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

I7-7700k 4,2 / 32 GB RAM / Geforce 2080 TI / 2x M2 500GB SSD / 1 TB SSD / Pimax 5k / WinWing Stick and Throttle

Server: [Wolfpack] Germany 93.186.198.98 Port 10308

IG Callsign: Fenris

Finally hornetpid did approve my account and i did my very first run.

THX for all your tips and hints, they may get useful later.

Next step is to find a good solution for losless conversion from CorelDraw - which i donk own - to Adobe Illustrator.

For now, I'm impressed with all the new stuff i have to learn.

Many thanks again!