Will have Beast Mode?

nthere

According to wikipedia the price of one eurofighter is 122,5 million dollars. The price of a METEOR is 2.8 million dollars, and the price of an AMRAAMC is around 500k. I think that if the mission demands it, you're gonna want to carry as many as possible to protect that precious airframe. (Not to mention the poor SOB who has to bring it home 🙂 )

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Right, but how many will the airforce have, at near 3 million PER SHOT?!?! 

14 meteors per airframe x 2.8 = 39.2 million

Yes, it's likely you'll bring most of those home for future sorties... but dang. The biggest threat to airforces nowdays is not SU-57 Felons, or stealth J-20's or

Sukhoi Su-75 Checkmate, or great pilots with lots of training... it's costs vs budgets vs needs

That is a very misleading way to look at it though. A single Meteor right now costs a lot because (to a fair extent) the thing is just entering production, while a single AMRAAM is relatively cheap because thousands of rounds have been built. Not that the Meteor will ever be super cheap of course, but it won't be 6 times more expensive than an AMRAAM forever either.

And that has nothing to do with whether carrying 14 missiles in combat on a single jet makes sense or not.

• Like 3

Sure, we could look at things in different ways. But budgets have to pay for things this year at today's prices, not some undefined "scales of economy" pricing 20 or 30 years from now. Thus, putting 14 meteors on a Eurofighter will indeed cost taxpayers and bond holders 39 mil USD this year. There's no avoiding that. Well, not without a budget crisis and likely change of government!

I would agree that it's unlikely any EF would carry 14 of them all at once. At least not often anyway, but in special circumstances it might be a needed capability. I think it's much more likely that the 14 stations capable of Meteor use, were wired, to enable more/better options for arming up for long range strikes, where one might have three tanks, a few smart bombs, and a couple of ALARMS or some other anti-radiation missile. Suddenly there's not much room for defensive AAM's... but if you could put Meteors on the remaining stations, that on most fighters would even have, that could prove decisive for a small strike package operating on it's own. In that respect, it makes quite a lot of sense.

But the fact is, just as fuel and maintenance, spares and training all cost big money, so too does the munitions, whether smart or dumb or "big brain", and that's all I wanted to point out.

I think the picture in the OP is interesting in the sense that its clearly the work of the marketing dept at Eurofighter, the type of advert you regularly see in the back of Airforces monthly.  Interesting not that it shows any actual tactical capability of the aircraft, but that advertising a $122 million aircraft in a magazine is an effective marketing tool 🤨

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...