Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT - We Aren't For Everyone

Spool

But…if you take the time to read this post, you may discover that we might be for you.

Let’s get that out in the open, right up front. The beauty of the DCS community is that there are myriad groups out there, all of which have their own unique brand of how they like to fly this outstanding simulation. If you are a pilot who has decided that the multi-player side of DCS is something you would like to get involved in, you are faced with many choices! It is helpful to know what YOU are looking for in an online DCS group, and it is just as important to know what brand of flying an online DCS group offers. It is readily apparent that in DCS, as in many things in life, one size does not fit all.

Virtual CVW-8 is led by current and former active-duty Navy personnel who have spent the better part of twenty years training, operating, deploying, flying, and living within U.S. Naval Aviation squadrons and commands. Virtual CVW-8’s CAG is an active-duty E-2C/D Hawkeye Naval Flight Officer who has deployed with three different squadrons, four different air wings, aboard five different aircraft carriers, including a tour as the Assistant Air Officer (Mini Boss) aboard CVN 74 during her around the world combat deployment.  Our CAG Staff includes current and retired F-14A/B and F/A-18A/C/E/F pilots who are invaluable in helping the air wing develop and maintain its brand of simulation for Virtual CVW-8 aircrew.

Because of the lived experiences of its leadership, Virtual CVW-8’s brand of simulation can best be described as Naval Aviation Military Simulation (Mil-Sim). What does this mean, exactly? It means that Virtual CVW-8’s leadership loved what they did in the Fleet, and DCS provides an opportunity to continue to enjoy that type of operational environment. It means that we strive to enjoy this simulation in a manner that represents real-world operations, to the best of our ability and within the limitations of the DCS world. Virtual CVW-8 has developed a structure to our training and operational deployments that attempts to closely resemble that of a real-world CVW. Training phases such as Strike Fighter Advanced Readiness Program, Air Wing Nellis, Tailored Ship’s Training Availability (TSTA) and Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPTUEX) form the core of our Fleet Readiness Training Program or FRTP. Many hours are spent by wing members developing detailed briefs and training materials for the building blocks of combat to provide a foundation of tactical learning and execution that will carry the air wing through the integrated phases of workups and our eventual combat deployment to the Syrian Theater in support of EUCOM and SIXTH Fleet objectives.

Virtual CVW-8’s membership is diverse and its experience wide-ranging. Many of our members are current or former military members, but many of them are not. However, all members share a love and passion for Navy aviation and a desire to enjoy a simulated structure that helps create an experience of immersion and realism. The members of Virtual CVW-8 are looking for a particular brand of DCS simulation. That said, what does Navy Mil-Sim NOT mean? It does not mean that anyone is calling anyone “sir”. It does not mean that we are playing soldier or airman, or Sailor, or whatever. Rank structure exists to identify those members who have volunteered to shoulder the administrative burden of maintaining an active group of disparate personalities, as well as creating the simulated environment we all enjoy. It also does not mean that we are high strung, full of ourselves, or think we are better than any other brand of simulation that is out there. We simply know what our brand is, and we work hard to maintain that brand, because we owe it to our members. We recognize that tastes change, interests wax and wane, and there may come a time that Virtual CVW-8’s brand is no longer what someone is looking for. That is the natural progression of things, and a natural part of this hobby. Should aircrew decide that our brand of simulation is no longer for them, we will always wish them well because the motto of “Fly Where you Have the Most Fun” should always apply to a recreational activity such as DCS.

So, is Virtual CVW-8 a good fit for you? Start by asking yourself these questions:

-          Do I have a passion for Naval Aviation? We are a boat-based squadron and we fly these modules because we love operating around the ship.

-          Do I enjoy flying the F/A-18C or F-14B from a cold start to shut down condition? You will not find air-start aircraft available in Virtual CVW-8 servers (though there are training opportunities where off-server air-start aircraft may be utilized.)

-          Do I enjoy realistic radio communications that makes use of the full spectrum of available radios and do I enjoy working to adhere to a standard communications format?

-          Do I enjoy Standard Operating Procedures that outline the expected operation of my aircraft in almost all regimes of flight, and do I enjoy working to get better at understanding, learning, and executing according to that standard?

-          Do I enjoy realistic procedures around land-based airfields and adherence to CV NATOPS for all Case launches and recoveries?

-          Do I enjoy working as part of a team and learning how to fly and fight my chosen aircraft in a manner that is modeled after realistic execution?

-          Can I receive constructive criticism in the debrief concerning areas of the flight where I either failed to adhere to SOP or failed to apply tactical learning and execution, and do I appreciate that criticism of ourselves in the debrief makes the entire air wing more lethal and increases the level of realism we all enjoy?

-          Do I desire to become a member of a group that seeks to model realistic behaviors of a U.S. Navy fighter squadron because it is the type of simulation the members of that group enjoy?

-          Can you support flight operations that are based in the U.S. Eastern time zone and which typically start at 2100. Can you support a minimum participation level of at least one multi-player flight every ten days?

If you answered yes to all these questions, Virtual CVW-8 may be a good option for you. We currently have unrestricted recruiting on the F-14 Tomcat side of the flight line and are looking for both experienced and new pilots and RIOs. On the VFA side of the house, our recruiting is limited to experienced pilots who are familiar with the Hornet and its systems and are able to safely fly the aircraft in the field and carrier environments. Combat skills are not a prerequisite for membership. This is because our FRS training season has progressed past the basic stage and our opportunity to train Cat I pilots is coming to an end as we shift our Instructor Pilot focus to SFARP.

If you made it to the end of this narrative, congratulations! If your interest has been peaked and you would like to learn more about Virtual CVW-8 and our brand of DCS simulation, please visit our website at https://virtualcvw8.com/. Finally, if you would like to speak with a member of Virtual CVW-8 about recruiting or any other subject, please visit the website and submit an application. We look forward to hearing from you! FLY NAVY!

Screen_210724_214641.png

Edited by Spool
New website
  • Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord:https://discord.gg/b8AgE5m

RECRUITING STATUS:

F-14B Drivers and RIOs: OPEN
F/A-18C PIlots: Between 3-5 slots available (some experience required)

cvw_1.png

Edited by Spool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

RECRUITING STATUS UPDATE (23AUG):

F-14B Drivers and RIOs: OPEN

F/A-18C Pilots: 1-2 slots remain for experienced (CAT Other) pilots. CAT I recruiting is closed for this FRTP.

FRS Phase set to complete on 18 SEP. Phase 1 of Strike Fighter Advanced Readiness Program (SFARP) will commence upon FRS Phase completion.

vf101_1.png

Edited by Spool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice thread, I see you guys are an East Coast CVW, VFA-97 is out of NAS Lemoore though, is your second one going to be VFA-147, they are transitioning too..  USS Gerald Ford is going to be awhile before they make a deployment.  The reason I ask is I spent 20 years in the USN, 04/77 to 04/97, eleven of it at NAS Lemoore, at AIMD, VA-94 (CVN-65) and NAMTRAGRUDET teaching DECM.  July of 93 I went to the USS Abraham Lincoln as ships company (twilight tour, two cruises). I did three WestPacs on the USS Constellation as ships company late 78 to July 82, with VA-94 I made two cruises on the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) same hull as the Connie, my shop was in the same place too 02-69-0Q.  It was in the tunnel on the Lincoln.  After I retired from the Navy I came back to Lemoore, the wife and kids were here, the wife worked in Supply bldg. 140 at the base.  I got a nineteen day vacation from work when I started with Boeing's Avionics Repair Facility in VFA-125's Rough Raider's hanger MOD, (VFA-122 is in it now F/A-18E/F) So I've been around US Naval Aviation for 43 years now.. I retired June 30th of this year, COMNAVHOUSEPAC keeps me busy, she's retired too..  Future manning of carriers will be two squadrons of F/A-18's, and two squadrons of F-35's, wonder how long it will take to get that module in game.

Some highlights, as we transited the Straights of Malacca (CV-64) going into the IO they tried the hostage rescue in Iran, we spent 110 days at sea on that one.  When the Ranger was rammed coming thru to relieve us we were later hit by a Liberian Oil tanker too.   I was with VA-94 on the Enterprise April 18, 1988 for Operation Preying Mantis. We (CVN-72) were in the gulf when Somalia blew up with black hawk down, we went down and flew really fast very low over the city to let them know we were there. On the Lincoln we went into the Persian Gulf both cruises, heat and humidity was aweful.  When they bombed Khadafi in Libya, we were in the IO, when two carriers left we went thru the Suez Canal into the Med, so I have done an abreviated Med Cruise, went out the straights of Gibralter and around the Cape of Africa............. in June........ roughest ride I've ever been on in a Carrier, was a blast.  Ended it all in the yards in Bermerton, then Everrett, with the Lincoln. Sorry for hijacking the thread.  Fair Winds and Following Seas gentleman.

Cheers

Hoss

AT1(AW/SW) USN ret.

Edited by BeoWolf_57
  • Like 2

Sempre Fortis

• 2 months later...

RECRUITING STATUS UPDATE:

CVW-8 has entered Phase II of SFARP where we are intently focused on learning BVR tactics by the numbers. Cat I recruiting is closed as the FRS is shut down until the completion of this FRTP and deployment cycle.

Cat Other recruiting remains open on a case by case basis. Minimum levels of proficiency are required, including the ability to pass a Fleet Carrier Qualification with a minimum GPA of 2.5, and the ability to efficiently conduct aerial refueling with no more than two disconnects. A Cat Other candidate looking for CVW-8's brand of mil-sim operations will be self-motivated to digest materials available to them and quickly get up to speed with CVW-8 SOP and tactics...must be ready to hit the ground running!

If you are an experienced Hornet pilot or Tomcat driver or RIO looking for a Navy mil-sim DCS group...please visit our website, read through the FAQ, and submit an application!

Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT (virtualcvw8.com)

ViperCropped.png

Edited by Spool
Webpage update

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Do all your Sea Stories start with "this is a no sh!tter?"................. you have the wrong designation on your tail, it should start with an "N"...... WESTPAC! LOL. You guys sound like VFA-113 in the way you run ops.

Cheers

Hoss

AT1 (AW/SW) USN ret. 4/77-4/97

Boot.... RTC San Diego

NATTC Memphis, NAS Millington 6/78-6/79

NAS  Whidbey FRAMP VA-128...... DECM 8/78-2/79

CV-64. AIMD/IM3/64C, 2/79-7/82

NAS Lemoore AIMD/IM3/64C/D 7/82-7/85

VA-94 7/85-10/89 (CVN-65) half way thru we went into SeaOpDet

NAMTRAGRUDET NAS Lemoore (DECM) 12/89-7/93

CVN-72 AIMD/IM3/64C/D & QA 8/93-4/97

Cross paths with anyone?

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis

Hello again, Hoss, I hope all is well! On the tailcode, our squadrons are VFA-87 and 15, as well as VF-31. You are right, VFA-97 is a west coast squadron, but for us, we are east coast based, hence the AJ tailcode. You've got a lot of VA time there in your career (I actually moved to Whidbey in '79...but I was three years old, so I doubt we crossed paths - my father flew Station SAR there in CH-46s)...You must be looking forward to the Intruder module! Only two weeks away, right? Take care, shipmate!

V/R,

Spool

Edited by Spool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm looking forward to VA-94, VA-22, A-7's. their 1988/89 cruise was the last cruise of A-7's on the west coast.. along with the A-6 squadron participated in Operation Preying Mantis. I'm glad the A-6 is coming, so we can flesh out a good cold war carrier scenario. 

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

CVW-8 had VA-52 with them, so good chance we'll use that squadron when the Intruder comes out. But, I am partial to VA-145 and VA-165 personally. My step-dad was with the Swordsmen and I babysat for Boomer DHs when I was in high school lol. VFA-15 and VFA-87 were both A-7 squadrons before they were Hornets, so we're already set there!

Edited by Spool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VA-165 was on the Connie when I was ships company 2/79 - 6/82, we had VA-146 Blue Diamonds, and VA-147 Argonauts.  VFA147 is the first Lemoore squadrons to convert to F-35's and is the squadron that lost the F-35 on the Vinson.  Ooops...

We had VA-95 on the Lincoln for the A-6 squadron in CAW-11... and of course my two favorite NASL squadrons... VFA-22 (YCBAR), VFA-94 (SHWFOTS).

Hoss

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

• Spool changed the title to Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT - We Aren't For Everyone
  • 1 year later...

CARRIER AIR WING EIGHTs 2023 Syria Deployment has finally ended and recruitment is OPEN for F/A-18C pilots (recruitment cutoff is May 16th). Sadly due to a lack of instructor pilot availability, we are not recruiting for F-14B pilot/RIOs at this time.

We are looking for experienced pilots who want to take it to the next level, those who desire tactical realism and execution, with tactics, comm and procedures that emulate the real world as closely as DCS World will allow for (anchored from a huge amount of real world experience), with mission planning, briefings and debriefings. Training to this level of detail is not easy so applicants should be prepared for a challenge!

After CVW-8's recruitment phase, we will begin our next FRTP (fleet readiness training plan) cycle starting with the FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron), SFARP (Strike Fighter Advanced Readiness Program), TSTA (Tailored <profanity> Training Availability), AWN (Air Wing Nellis - our version of AWF - Air Wing Fallon, since DCS doesn't have have Fallon modeled), and finally C2X (COMPTUEX - Composite Training Unit Exercise) getting us ready for our 2024 Deployment!

You can find our application information and the application itself on our website. Please take your time with your application, we are only looking to accept likely 6-8 pilots at most. We look forward to hearing from you!

FACTORY FOREVER, FLY NAVY

CVW-8 Website

CVW-8 Discord

EDIT: Recruitment is now closed. Special cases may still be taken on a case by case basis until the end of SFARP in which case it will be fully closed until next year.

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...