Feedback Thread - F-14 Patch 11th Aug 2021

Spurts

11 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

"Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary."

This is from today's patch. What does it mean exactly?

Haven't flown yet, but my guess is that the Flaps handle is meant to be binary, so axis binding that allows intermediate settings outside of Maneuvering flaps is not realistic.

3 minutes ago, Spurts said:

Haven't flown yet, but my guess is that the Flaps handle is meant to be binary, so axis binding that allows intermediate settings outside of Maneuvering flaps is not realistic.

So the axis will no longer work axis-like for people that have the flaps assigned to an axis? 
P.S. apologies for the excessive use of the word axis.......dough! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

10 minutes ago, Spurts said:

"Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary."

I dont understand why would you do that HB. The flaps operated correctly before this change and now they are buged. Im gonna have to write it down in a bug section. But seriously what the hell?

Just now, Golo said:

I dont understand why would you do that HB. The flaps operated correctly before this change and now they are buged. Im gonna have to write it down in a bug section. But seriously what the hell?

No they didn't. The F-14 only had full flaps or maneuver flaps, nothing inbetween. IRL the flaps handle couldn't be used for anything other than up or full flaps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Naquaii said:

No they didn't. The F-14 only had full flaps or maneuver flaps, nothing inbetween. IRL the flaps handle couldn't be used for anything other than up or full flaps.

Well, stand by for my bug report.

1 minute ago, Naquaii said:

That is what I suspected.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Just now, Golo said:

Well, stand by for my bug report.

Sure thing, please include sources for it not being that way then as that would contradict all our material.

20 minutes ago, Spurts said:

Afaik assigning an axis should still work, adding threshold values just means that they'll be fully retracted until you move the axis to a certain value and at that point they'll fully deploy. We're not removing the axis bind, just how it works.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

Afaik assigning an axis should still work

It does :-)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Oi boy, It's sparrow time again 😃

• Updated AIM-7 parameters to synchronize with DCS changes.

As of testing a few minutes ago against a MiG-23 or a MiG-27 at co-alt, 27 thousand feet, 26 miles starting distance:

• AIM-7F 
    - Will not guide on targets outside of 20 NM
    - Will not guide on targets with ECM (is defined as HOJ capable)
  • AIM-7M
    - Does not respect ACM cover when deciding whether to loft
    - Will not guide on targets with ECM (is defined as HOJ capable)
  • AIM-7MH
    - Does not respect ACM cover when deciding whether to loft
    - Will not guide on targets with ECM when ACM cover is raised. 

Also just so we know what to look for. Does synchronizing just mean that the Sparrow lua definitions were made to match? Is there confirmation the HB AIM-7s are also taking advantage of the behind the doors changes ED has been making to the guidance and sensor systems?

• Thanks 1

I can confirm that the -7M still lofts (tested on the Constant Peg Gen III Instant Action mission).

*edit*

I ran a repair to make sure I have the correct files.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Dear everyone,

as always we would kindly like to ask for your feedback for the current patch.

A couple things to note:

- The current implementation of the automatic shutoff of the NSW is a small workaround: it would else disengage when lowering the launch bar, not when hooking up to the catapult, but atm there is no event in DCS for lowering the launch bar that we can utilize. We will keep this workaround until we get said event, then we will change it to "disengages when lowering the launch bar." Keep in mind, if you do not activate the automatic disengagement via cycling the hook at throttles idle, or if you do not disengage manually alternatively, you will launch from the cat, but the result may be catastrophic.

- We changed the flap axis to follow the same threshold that the flaps had in real life: it works as a binary on/off function now as it did in real life. We decided to leave you the option of having it as an axis nonetheless - some of you who are building homepits might prefer it.

- The emergency gear handle will be restored on repair now, however if you only use emergency gear without actual damage to the aircraft (external or internal) that would else trigger a repair, the emergency gear handle does not register as repair currently, so you will have to respawn into a new jet. We are working on being able to have the emergency gear handle activation registered as repair in the future as well.

As always please find the changelog below. Thank you all for your continued feedback and support!

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations

• Added new F-14A Quickstart missions:
    • 3 missions in Normandy.
    • 10 missions for Nevada/NTTR.
    • 1 Channel Map Free Flight mission.
  • Fixed Marianas Quickstart mission spawn locations.
  • Updated Quickstart “Fear the Bones” mission by Reflected.
  • Added default trim bindings for keyboard.
  • Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary.
  • Ejection seat safety levers will now animate properly in exterior view and mirrors
  • Fixed hole in rear of canopy frame when canopy open or jettisoned
  • Fixed broken/artifacted normal maps on RIO front panel base
  • Set AIM-7 and AIM-54 RCS to new values.
  • JESTER will now call the MiG-28 callout properly.
  • Fixed Autopilot altitude hold fluctuation after several re-engagements.
  • Emergency gear handle now returns to initial position on repair; (only if general damage is present to trigger a repair - WIP).
  • NWS now only turns off on the ground at catapult hookup after cycling the hook at idle power. (WIP)
  • Nose strut now properly consumes hydraulic pressure.
  • Fixed no weight on wheels when spawning on a catapult and kneeling.
  • Fixed spoiler indicators displaying incorrect spoiler position.
  • Corrected some lag in the turn indicator at the maximum extent of its movement.
  • Fixed the RIO airspeed needle and mach dial jumping around 250 knots.
  • Added multicrew synchronization for the flap lever and indicators.
  • Added multicrew synchronization for the turn indicator needles.
  • Adjusted TID, TID Repeater and HSD display brightness for better visibility in direct light / above OVC.
  • Adjusted AIM-54 flame position and direction, now centered and spawning from the correct location.
  • Tearing off a horizontal stabilizer should now spawn the object properly.
  • Added black hole to pilot helmets for all liveries.
  • Fixed model gap between airbrake and fuselage visible in F-14A.
  • Widened gap between front gear tires for better accuracy.
  • Fixed unlatched tow latches in LoD 1 & 2.
  • Added tow latch stowage holes to fuselages in all LoDs.
  • Added missing tow latch stowage holes to F-14A.

General:

Apologies, after splitting the feedback from the old thread it put the posts above the initial post, I hope it is not too confusing.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Dear everyone,

as always we would kindly like to ask for your feedback for the current patch.
A couple things to note:

- The current implementation of the automatic shutoff of the NSW is a small workaround: it would else disengage when lowering the launch bar, not when hooking up to the catapult, but atm there is no event in DCS for lowering the launch bar that we can utilize. We will keep this workaround until we get said event, then we will change it to "disengages when lowering the launch bar." Keep in mind, if you do not activate the automatic disengagement via cycling the hook at throttles idle, or if you do not disengage manually alternatively, you will launch from the cat, but the result may be catastrophic.

- We changed the flap axis to follow the same threshold that the flaps had in real life: it works as a binary on/off function now as it did in real life. We decided to leave you the option of having it as an axis nonetheless - some of you who are building homepits might prefer it.

- The emergency gear handle will be restored on repair now, however if you only use emergency gear without actual damage to the aircraft (external or internal) that would else trigger a repair, the emergency gear handle does not register as repair currently, so you will have to respawn into a new jet. We are working on being able to have the emergency gear handle activation registered as repair in the future as well.

As always please find the changelog below. Thank you all for your continued feedback and support!

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations
  • Added new F-14A Quickstart missions:
    • 3 missions in Normandy.
    • 10 missions for Nevada/NTTR.
    • 1 Channel Map Free Flight mission.
  • Fixed Marianas Quickstart mission spawn locations.
  • Updated Quickstart “Fear the Bones” mission by Reflected.
  • Added default trim bindings for keyboard.
  • Added threshold value for flaps axis so flaps on/off are now binary.
  • Ejection seat safety levers will now animate properly in exterior view and mirrors
  • Set AIM-7 and AIM-54 RCS to new values.
  • JESTER will now call the MiG-28 callout properly.
  • Fixed Autopilot altitude hold fluctuation after several re-engagements.
  • Emergency gear handle now returns to initial position on repair; (only if general damage is present to trigger a repair - WIP).
  • NWS now only turns off on the ground at catapult hookup after cycling the hook at idle power. (WIP)
  • Nose strut now properly consumes hydraulic pressure.
  • Fixed no weight on wheels when spawning on a catapult and kneeling.
  • Fixed spoiler indicators displaying incorrect spoiler position.
  • Corrected some lag in the turn indicator at the maximum extent of its movement.
  • Fixed the RIO airspeed needle and mach dial jumping around 250 knots.
  • Added multicrew synchronization for the flap lever and indicators.
  • Added multicrew synchronization for the turn indicator needles.
  • Adjusted TID, TID Repeater and HSD display brightness for better visibility in direct light / above OVC.
  • Adjusted AIM-54 flame position and direction, now centered and spawning from the correct location.
  • Tearing off a horizontal stabilizer should now spawn the object properly.
  • Added black hole to pilot helmets for all liveries.
  • Fixed model gap between airbrake and fuselage visible in F-14A.
  • Widened gap between front gear tires for better accuracy.
  • Fixed unlatched tow latches in LoD 1 & 2.
  • Added tow latch stowage holes to fuselages in all LoDs.
  • Added missing tow latch stowage holes to F-14A.

Why not make the squat switch also turn off NWS as a workaround. Not the action of the jet, but the switch itself? Makes more sense than cycling the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Why not make the squat switch also turn off NWS as a workaround. Not the action of the jet, but the switch itself? Makes more sense than cycling the hook.

Cycling the hook at throttles idle was simply how it was done irl - kneeling had nothing to do with it, and you could still use it when kneeled. Hence the change.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

19 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Weird but ok. Thanks!

Yeah, it is simply how the mechanism was engaged. When you depress NSW button again, you again override the system and have to do it manually.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

1 minute ago, ricktoberfest said:

Weird but ok. Thanks!

Yeah, also weird to me. They cycled the arresting hook while on the cat? I'll have to learn to do this or check the NWS light before launch, maybe by learning the hard way a few times 🤣🤣

By the way, I'm a warbird pilot at heart, and have never loved a jet like I do this Tomcat. One free trial period was all it took. So thanks for all that you do.

• Like 2

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Bug/feedback report:
Nevada map instant actions:
1. F-14A free flight mission and F-14A aerial refuel mission, in both cases the in-mission plane is an F-14B. 
2. F-14A guns-only dogfight mission (the one with the F-16C), the F-14A starts with a full fuel tank (16200lbs). Is this as intended or an omission? Most F-14 dogfight missions, including the Constant Peg IV Gen start with about 76% internal fuel, or about 12000lbs.  

• Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

Bug/feedback report:
Nevada map instant actions:
1. F-14A free flight mission and F-14A aerial refuel mission, in both cases the in-mission plane is an F-14B. 
2. F-14A guns-only dogfight mission (the one with the F-16C), the F-14A starts with a full fuel tank (16200lbs). Is this as intended or an omission? Most F-14 dogfight missions, including the Constant Peg IV Gen start with about 76% internal fuel, or about 12000lbs.  

Thanks, those are all indeed bugs. Will fix for next patch. Thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

8 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Not the case sadly. (and yes the lever is down behind me the imagine was limited by the forum upload size.)

Same here.  I did specifically look for that.  I meant to look at the flap lever thing, too and they operated normally on my Case I practices just now.  I usually don't use the lever for man flaps much anyway except during the startup checks... sometimes by the DLC binding in the air but forgot entirely just now.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

13 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Not the case sadly. (and yes the lever is down behind me the imagine was limited by the forum upload size.)

Sorry, three fixes in particular were indeed cutoff from this build and erroneously remained in the changelog. They are;

They will be in the next minor update.

Re the flaps lever; we will actually be reverting this change.

This was a case of SME feedback causing us to change it, but based on further SME feedback, it was indeed correct as it was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations