vr stutters in steam gpu goes to 0

wingsuit

not sure where to start diagnosing this one. Just getting my pit all set back up to get back into dcs. this morning was fine for 1 flight. Now every time I launch, every 5-10 seconds visuals flash and stutter, game pauses for 5-10 seconds then comes back alive. 

during this time I've noticed in my task manager gpu drops from  59% to 0% and the steam "DCS waiting" icon appears. then it ramps back up to 59% the game unfreezes and I'm good for another 15 seconds. 

I've done run rammap, ive run windows memory diagnostic and comes back no errors. all other games play great. no crashes otherwise or issues in other games

I built a beast of a system for this 

x570 board

128gb ram

nvidia 3090

ryzen 9 5950x

all games and system on ssd drives. 

ive forced my pcie back to 3 cause that fixed some other issues with my reverb g2

vr is on reverb g2

game launched non vr, all is fine. 

other games launched in steam vr is fine (I'm mostly in il-2 for wwii flying. no issues there)

im just downloading a huge update to msfs to see if that one runs fine, but havent had any problems with previous versions of that. 

my dcs play has been very sporadic last few months but usually flights went fine. 

Now I cant load the game with out freezes every 5-15 seconds. I dont understand why my gpu keeps dropping to 0. no amount of restarts have helped

not sure what to attempt to uninstall or reinstall first. such a pain as I just bought a bunch of virpil gear excited to get back into dcs and im completely stuck. if anyones gone through anything similar I'd love to hear what helped/fixed it

cheers

Just to make sure as you didn't mention it. Have you tried a DCS repair?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

yeah this morning I did a full dcs reinstall. I did a steam vr repair. I ordered the reverb g2 new cable today as well in the small hopes its that, but il2 runs fine.  ive run error checks on my ssd's. 

I have a huge order from virpil showing up and am just about crushed to be honest. I've been working 80 hours weeks the past month so this is just not hitting at a good time. theres not much on my machine, but enough of it is work software so doing a clean windows install isnt really an easy options. I'm about to try uninstalling mixed reality portal and anything related to vr then try and reinstall. 

im about to unplug all usb devices including joysticks as well and see if that has any bearing. 

2 hours ago, wingsuit said:

found a temp solution that involves putting my g2 on the shelf and using my oculus quest 2 with link as that doesnt seem to have any problems at all.

This sounds to me as if this is a WMR / SteamVR issue that affects DCS or vice versa. Are you running WMR / SteamVR in beta? If so, maybe try to switch to stable version within Steam. IIRC some people reported performance issues with the beta versions of SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR in the past. Also try to install the latest NVIDIA driver or if already done, maybe a rollback.

4 hours ago, wingsuit said:

I have a huge order from virpil showing up and am just about crushed to be honest.

I know how you feel right now, that realy s*cks. My 1080Ti smoked away just 3 weeks after my G2 arrived. 

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Maybe shutting down windows notification feature. As said above it also could be wmr beta, I went back to wmr non beta a month ago because I all of a sudden it started  being unstable and it helped opting out of wmr beta.I’m still on steamvr beta. Definitely order you the new Rev. 2 cable too.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 8/12/2021 at 4:15 AM, wingsuit said:

not sure where to start diagnosing this one. Just getting my pit all set back up to get back into dcs. this morning was fine for 1 flight. Now every time I launch, every 5-10 seconds visuals flash and stutter, game pauses for 5-10 seconds then comes back alive. 

I built a beast of a system for this 

x570 board

128gb ram

nvidia 3090

ryzen 9 5950x

all games and system on ssd drives. 

Have the same system configuration here. Had similar issues.

What helped me was:
- Recent BIOS based on AMD AGESA 1.2.0.2 or higher to solve the x570 USB issues

- Recent AMD chipset driver to solve the x570 USB issues
- Recent Reverb G2 firmware 15  Rev A

If the problem remains, ask HP support for a new cable.

P.s. while loading, the flashing and hangs are normal in DCS.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

well I wasnt methodical in steps so I can't say exactly what fixed it. ie did too many things at once but it seems better now. 

what I did was

turn off all windows notifications

completely uninstalled mixed reality portal, steam vr and steam for windows mixed reality 

reinstalled everything

new cable from hp arrived in the mail with the new upgraded cable and power button on the wall plug. 

thanks for the tips on the bios and chipset driver Buzzer. I'll add that to the list of things to do just to keep it all up to date. 

Edited by wingsuit
mistyped
  • Like 2