Yet Another ... what should I fly?

A2597

So been flying the F-18 since it first launched, and absolutely love everything about this plane. I love carrier ops, I love it being multi role, I love the flight model, the HMCS, the radar, the targeting pod...basically...everything about it.

My issue is, I get one 'Game Night' a week, and that begins when the kids are in bed, around 9pm, and last until 10:30 to 11pm...so, about 2 hours a week to fly, on average. (May have a small spurt here and there where I can hop on). In the beginning, that was fine, I learned carrier ops, I learned how to use the radar and basic dogfighting and bombing, and AA Refueling, and so fourth. But as the module has developed, I'm finding that ~2 hours a week in the cockpit means I forget *soooo* much between flights. I wind up spending my time each week basically re-learning the thing I did several weeks ago (Because lets face it, you can't cover everything in a two hour window), and while I absolutely *love* this plane, I'm having to admit that unless I limit myself to just a couple of things, I'm not going to master this plane until I can get more consistent flight time with it.

So, recommendations for something that I can have fun in, that may not be as fully featured (despite how much I love a multi-role), that I might be able to enjoy with a limited flight time each week? I love jets, but am open to anything, even WW2. Main thing is I'd love to know that I'll be able to actually enjoy it, which includes multiplayer, missions, etc. Also, I'm that guy that likes to cold start it and does the engine fire tests on a server, so full fidelity is a must.

I own both A-10s, the F-16, and the F-18. A-10 is awesome, but I have a feeling I'd struggle even more with it than the F-18. F-16 I honestly haven't given enough time, because...well, 2 hours a week.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Get divorced, sell the kids to science. 😜

Seriously, maybe the earlier simpler jets may fit the bill, like the F-86, or F-5E. They're jets, fly fast, but don't have a million radar modes, or a gazillion types of weapons to master.

The older jets are also, IMO, more "hands on" and allow for more pure flying and less "systems management".

PS those modules are pretty much done, so no worry about having to relearn anything when new versions come out.

Hope my rambling helps...

• Like 7

Try fly the Viper (again) then. Current state is not as complex as Hornet. No carrier, only 2 Mfd, intuitive hotas control which loved by many. Its easier than Hornet IMO. Fly..... shoot.... drop bomb and land.
Tbh I would avoid any trainer aircrafts because we're playing a sim already but thats just me.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

If you only have 2 hours a week, then my suggestion is stick with the Hornet.  You already love and are familiar with the it and carrier ops element, and at 2 hours a week it could take you months to get trained up on any new module. Can you not spend some other time, lunch break, daily commute, etc. to study up the manuals.  Make an A5 QREF cheat sheet and look over it every time you have a spare five minutes.  Carry simplified checklists on your phone and look over them regularly.  Make your desktop wallpaper an F-18 cockpit, so every day you are looking at the position of buttons, instruments, controls etc.  Focus on the Hornet, but maybe simplify to one or two mission types, rather than the full gamut.  Pick a few weapons and forget the others (for now at least).  Chair fly the missions and have a plan for each two hour flight, with a specific learning objective, and then debrief the next day away from the computer and with the manual/guide.

• Like 4

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

11 hours ago, SKYPORK said:

Seriously, maybe the earlier simpler jets may fit the bill, like the F-86, or F-5E. They're jets, fly fast, but don't have a million radar modes, or a gazillion types of weapons to master.

The older jets are also, IMO, more "hands on" and allow for more pure flying and less "systems management".

PS those modules are pretty much done, so no worry about having to relearn anything when new versions come out.

I agree with this. I'm in a similar situation and lately have mostly been flying the F-5, which has a nice campaign (Black Sea Resolve) that you can tackle one mission at a time, as well as MP activity on the Cold War server. Also consider the MiG-15 if you learn the F-86 because they are closely matched and there is a good MP server (Korea 1952) hosting both, as well as a decent single-player campaign.

I'll probably get skewered for suggesting it, but also consider the FC-3 suite of planes. The F-15, MiG-29, and Su-27/33 are all fast jets with good weapons. The SU-33 is carrier-capable. And once you learn one of the FC-3 planes it's not too hard to learn the others because they do not have clickable cockpits and similar control bindings. Their simplifications could be an asset if you are only flying a few hours per week.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

A good option for a modern jet which is rather simple to operate is the M-2000C

It only has limited A2G systems which are rather simple

only has two missile types

does have an English cockpit mod if your French is lacking

but it is really capable in A2A combat, very maneuverable and it’s weapons are very good. 
it has some great campaigns available. 
you’ll need the Chucks guide because the manual is a bit out of date and the plane has received a lot of improvements. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hmm...M-2000 might be a good bet, CCIP and CCRP are basic "Learn once nothing changes" type things, where F-18 I feel compelled to use the Targeting Pod which changed so much I struggle with it. But basics of TACAN, ILS, VOR, etc are all there...

Worth the two week trial for sure. 🙂

Yeah I would encourage staying with the Hornet for some more time.

There are some really good single player campaigns available for it as well.

@Badger633 has a freeware campaign which is great for beginners to the Hornet - The Serpents Head. Only has 6 missions and starts out in a bit of formation training. It is very nicely done and not too complex.

And if you like that then he has couple of payware campaigns that are really good - The Serpents Head 2 which is a continuation from the first one, and more recently The Rise of the Persian Lion. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That "stay in the Hornet" suggestion isn't too bad actually. Just don't try to do all the stuff that's possible, concentrate on just a few thing and use them so you don't have to relearn them again after doing something else for one sortie.

As for the suggestions for other modules, I'd like to throw in the Tomcat. The thing is, it's rather complex in the back seat, but when you fly the thing, someone else is responsible for just that while you can concentrate on the flying not having to worry about handling all those systems. Either Jester or another player will do that for you then.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

All good suggestions.  I think I lean on the "stick with the Hornet" fence as well, because you've already got a foundation and muscle memory to lean on with it.  Learning something else means starting from scratch. 

Keep in mind that just because the aircraft has all this capability and flexibility, that doesn't mean you're obligated to use it.  What drew me to DCS and the Hornet initially was carrier aviation; the combat aspect was really just an excuse to launch off the boat, go do something, then tank and trap haha.  Thus, all I knew about ground attack or CAS missions for the longest time were dumb bombs.  Simple, reliable, and I got good results for months, before deciding to occasionally learn a new weapon.  A/A with 120s and sidewinders makes you plenty capable. 

Believe me, I sympathize with the limited time issue! 

You can get up and running in the Viper, and dropping dumb bombs in an evening. That means cold start, take-off, drop a few bombs, straf.

Nav can be another evening. 

That said, consider the F-14 as well...it's a fantastic module.

Fly the Hornet for an hour, and spend 30-45 minutes tinkering with something else.

I would say if you want to have fun, rather than thinking about the hardware, what about the profile?

Say, if you enjoy dogfight, what you have in the library are great choices, and among the great recommendations, I would agree with  the turkey most. Anyway, just flick to the ACM mode and go all the way. If you, like me, enjoy low-level high speed interdiction/strike, well, the Viggen is the king here, not to mention, it is also a rather simple plane to operate -- once you get through the computer.

The point is, the profile requires you to master only part of the system, not the whole nine yards. Even if you play only a few hours per week, time after time the op will burn inside your brain.

My $0.01

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Try fly the Viper (again) then. Current state is not as complex as Hornet. No carrier, only 2 Mfd, intuitive hotas control which loved by many. Its easier than Hornet IMO. Fly..... shoot.... drop bomb and land.
Tbh I would avoid any trainer aircrafts because we're playing a sim already but thats just me.

I hate the Viper HOTAS, it practically worthless next to the Hornet's system, I have no idea where all the praise for it comes.
It does one or two nice things, (Like NWS to toggle CCRP, CCIP, STRF) but it is *so* lacking in logic.

Plus, OP being a Hornet guy the last thing he'd want to fly is the 16. I'm that way because it's not like you're going back to an F-5, it's still modern avionics that are just a disappointment coming from the 18. It's like there's no logic.

OP should definitely try the M2K though, great little jet, A/G is simple, and A/A is fun. It got such a unique style with it's own set of quirks. Older jet, less capable, but still FBW and very competitive in the cold war arena.

Mobius708

F-16 is the way to go. Viper just feels so much better than the Hornet. 
It just dosen't, and is less capable in every aspect while trying to be a Hornet.

Just flying it feels odd, the Hornet flies like a proper aircraft while still being FBW, M2K does a great job of this as well, 16 not too much.

Definitely stick with the Hornet. It's already more capable than what the F-16 will be and will only get better.

Mobius708

i also tend to "stick with the hornet". but limit weapons to f.ex. jdams and amraams for a start.

often enough i find myself in the 2h/week situation. so, what i do in the meantime is reading docs/watching yt, taking notes, and most importantly: plan my next mission in all detail including a custom kneeboard. that way you keep yourself "current" on the aircraft and during your sorties you know exactly what you want to do. usually things work out better for me that way 😁

Well...last night started up the Serpents Head campaign.

Maybe just needed a breather week, simple formation flight over Nevada and simple Case 3....felt good to not get blown out of the sky because of getting lost in the electronics/controls.

Mission 2 I think showed one of my biggest issues, which I'll take to the F-18 forums. (Was a stress point that would have been an issue in a combat scenario, but didn't hinder these two missions).

Thanks guys!