Target box stutter

Cmptohocah

In this RL HUD video of the Eagle, one can see that the box surrounding the target is not perfectly tracking, but rather stuttering and wiggling around it.
I guess the higher the G load, the higher the stutter.
Could we have this implemented in the Eagle? I think it will improve immersion immensely.

• Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

When radar scintillation is implemented (possibly never) then this 'stutter' would indeed apply to anything tracking a target with radar up close.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

When radar scintillation is implemented (possibly never) then this 'stutter' would indeed apply to anything tracking a target with radar up close.

I was just hoping for an effect, rather than actual machinery behind it.

I think I assumed wrongly that it's "G" related, it looks more like it's dependent on the rate of which the target passes a cross the HUD.
Just some random subtile wiggle would make it look much more realistic IMHO.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

There's no machinery simulated for this anywhere, and it's not eagle specific so ... why saddle just the eagle with it?   There are two effects here:

1) The antenna trying to keep up with the target during a very high-speed pass through the HuD (so, angle rate issue that you identified)

2) Scintillation - see how the F-5 rolls and causes the box to change positions?  This is because different parts of the aircraft will reflect the radar with different strength, and that location can change based on angle - basically if you recall RCS diagrams and how RCS is different based on angle, when you get closer to the aircraft it becomes very location dependent.

3) Personally, there is enough wiggling of everything in the game to make my eyes go bleah, I don't need any more.  But that's a personal thing 🙂

Anyway, I don't think adding this detracts from anything, just why add it here when it's not added anywhere else?  It's a radar thing, not an eagle thing.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

Anyway, I don't think adding this detracts from anything, just why add it here when it's not added anywhere else?  It's a radar thing, not an eagle thing.

I would love to see it on the Fulcrum, Flanker also. It's just that I saw this particular example in a F-15 video. I know, know for example, that laser ranger on MiG-29 jumps a bit also when engaging airborn targets - a target flare at least.
I love this "non-binary" states which IMHO enhance this otherwise sterile "perfect world" impression. Something like, how wing buffeting occurs at high AoA and the entire cockpit starts vibrating (which we already have in FC3).

Edited by Cmptohocah
  • Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉