Flap/Spoiler Operation

Victory205

3 hours ago, Victory205 said:

This is an updated document describing flap and spoiler operation, with tips on real world operation. Read the document before asking questions. 

I have 2 notes about it (EDIT: Special note about it, I tested it on the ground, not sure if WOW plays role in that, I think not) 

1) "When the wings are aft of 50 degrees, the flap handle is locked and will not move.

This is obviously not the case for a PC controller, so you can move your physical controller, but the virtual flap handle visible in the simulator will not visibly move."

This is not the case right now, flap handle still moves for me even with wing sweep past 50°. Its not a big deal imho, Ive considered writing it up as a bug report some time ago, but I decided against it after thinking about it.

It would really only work if our devices were locked too, but it is not the case so you can lower your flap handle (physical) anyway and it will stay in whatever position you leave it and in game flaps will react accordingly when appropriate. I think, only solution here is proper discipline with physical flap device one have. I dont see this as a problem worth solving.

2) Currently in game, If wings are between 21° and 50° of sweep, upon lowering the flap handle main flaps will start to extend, wing will be commanded to 20° and aux. flaps will also extend.

It should not be the case according to following:

From 01-F14AAP-1 (01-F14AAA-1)

2.20.5.3 (2.19.2.4) Flap Wing Interlocks. The main flap and auxiliary flap commands are interlocked electrically and mechanically with the wing sweep to prevent flap fuselage interference. An electrical interlock in the CADC and a mechanical command in the wing-sweep control box prevent wing sweep aft of 22° with auxiliary flaps extended. In a similar manner, upon extension of the main flaps, the wings are electrically and mechanically limited to wing-sweep angles less than 50°. The FLAP handle is mechanically prevented from moving to the down position if wing position is aft of 50°. If flaps are lowered with wings between 21° and 50°, main flaps will extend but auxiliary flaps will remain retracted.

I actually already posted it in a bug section while ago but I guess it got overlooked, might as well mention it again while we are on a subject of flaps functions.

Edited by Golo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Golo said:

I have 2 notes about it (EDIT: Special note about it, I tested it on the ground, not sure if WOW plays role in that, I think not) 

1) "When the wings are aft of 50 degrees, the flap handle is locked and will not move.

This is obviously not the case for a PC controller, so you can move your physical controller, but the virtual flap handle visible in the simulator will not visibly move."

This is not the case right now, flap handle still moves for me even with wing sweep past 50°. Its not a big deal imho, Ive considered writing it up as a bug report some time ago, but I decided against it after thinking about it.

It would really only work if our devices were locked too, but it is not the case so you can lower your flap handle (physical) anyway and it will stay in whatever position you leave it and in game flaps will react accordingly when appropriate. I think, only solution here is proper discipline with physical flap device one have. I dont see this as a problem worth solving.

2) Currently in game, If wings are between 21° and 50° of sweep, upon lowering the flap handle main flaps will start to extend, wing will be commanded to 20° and aux. flaps will also extend.

It should not be the case according to following:

From 01-F14AAP-1 (01-F14AAA-1)

2.20.5.3 (2.19.2.4) Flap Wing Interlocks. The main flap and auxiliary flap commands are interlocked electrically and mechanically with the wing sweep to prevent flap fuselage interference. An electrical interlock in the CADC and a mechanical command in the wing-sweep control box prevent wing sweep aft of 22° with auxiliary flaps extended. In a similar manner, upon extension of the main flaps, the wings are electrically and mechanically limited to wing-sweep angles less than 50°. The FLAP handle is mechanically prevented from moving to the down position if wing position is aft of 50°. If flaps are lowered with wings between 21° and 50°, main flaps will extend but auxiliary flaps will remain retracted.

I actually already posted it in a bug section while ago but I guess it got overlooked, might as well mention it again while we are on a subject of flaps functions.

Thank you, Golo, please do make a report (about 1), so we can track it and search it separately later on. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

In the above document, I find 2 interesting paragraphs about the landing flaps: 

"The MAIN flaps extend proportionately with flap handle position."

and

"In the sim, there is no reason to assign an axis to the flap control. Essentially, the landing flaps are full up or down."

This confuses me, on one hand the MAIN flaps move proportionately to the handle, on the other hand, the other line says it's either fully up or down.

I'd appreciate some further explanation...

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

and

"In the sim, there is no reason to assign an axis to the flap control. Essentially, the landing flaps are full up or down."

This confuses me, on one hand the MAIN flaps move proportionately to the handle, on the other hand, the other line says it's either fully up or down.

That's because they are incremental but they were never used as such in real life unless you had a malfunction more or less.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 1:13 AM, Comrade Doge said:

and

I think what they're saying is that the flap lever is redundant.  AUX flaps are binary, either full up or full down depending on the handle position.  MAIN flaps are incremental, but they can also be controlled with the DLC wheel and function automatically depending on the AoA.  Personally, I'm keeping my flap lever though.

19 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

AUX flaps are binary

No, these were discussed lately, changed by some misunderstanding and then changed back to current state.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

12 minutes ago, draconus said:

This when it was changed by devs after SME insights:

Aux flaps were always binary. Main flaps incremental.

The aux flaps are the innermost portion that only deploys with wings fully forward. They deploy fully when the flaps handle is past a certain point.

• 1 month later...

If you retract the flaps with the Spoilers Extended because the ANTISKID SP BK switch is not OFF, then the outboard Spoilers will remain extended, and you will taxi in looking like a dork.

Now I know why I've been taxiing around like a dork for so long 🤣

Edited by Nealius

• 1 month later...

Interesting that DLC isn't enabled by default... And it's an extra switch the pilots needed to know 🤔

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

7 hours ago, D4n said:

Interesting that DLC isn't enabled by default... And it's an extra switch the pilots needed to know 🤔

Mind that activating DLC moves the inner spoilers half way up which lowers the lift compared to the default (no spoilers) position. One might not want that effect in all cases despite having such option by holding the DLC wheel.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

13 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Need to know? It's literally right by your thumb on the stick. 

No, it's not by my thumb on my Thrustmaster T.16000 stick... 😜

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence