Flap/Spoiler Operation

Victory205

6 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Ohh and extra switch PLAYERS need to know ya meant. 

No no, I meant the real Tomcat pilots. Now that I think of it, maybe a DLC malfunction could have heavy consequences for flightcontrol and maybe it malfunctioned sometimes, so maybe that was the reason the engineers added an extra key, so that pilot could also instantly disable it again

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 1:25 PM, Damien said:

Any chance we can get a Up (Half) Down option for the flaps to utilize the Thrustmaster warthog throttle flaps switch?

I've got some different flap options setup in the keybinds project. I use the 'up/down else half' options with the WH throttle flaps lever.

https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds/blob/8f050e850223b02a60454d4f703a5d63aeedee80/InputCommands/F14/Input/F-14B-Pilot/joystick/default.lua#L111

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 3:57 PM, Munkwolf said:

I've got some different flap options setup in the keybinds project. I use the 'up/down else half' options with the WH throttle flaps lever.

https://github.com/Munkwolf/dcs-community-keybinds/blob/8f050e850223b02a60454d4f703a5d63aeedee80/InputCommands/F14/Input/F-14B-Pilot/joystick/default.lua#L111

Most recent open beta patch enables a maneuver flaps option for the tomcat. 

I see the patch notes mentioned this newly added control, Maneuver flaps potentiometer but I am confused since we already have the DLC / Maneuver flaps retract binding which, in my limited testing, seems to do the exact same thing, controlling the "maneuver flaps". I have attached 2 images using both the new bind and the old one, and the result is identical so far (first pic is the new axis, the 2nd one is the old axis we had available)...

I'd appreciate details on what is different with this new binding.

Screen_220518_183424.png

Screen_220518_183445.png

Edited by Comrade Doge

7 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

I see the patch notes mentioned this newly added control, Maneuver flaps potentiometer but I am confused since we already have the DLC / Maneuver flaps retract binding which, in my limited testing, seems to do the exact same thing, controlling the "maneuver flaps". I have attached 2 images using both the new bind and the old one, and the result is identical so far (first pic is the new axis, the 2nd one is the old axis we had available)...

I'd appreciate details on what is different with this new binding.

Screen_220518_183424.png

Screen_220518_183445.png

People wanted a binding for their 3 position switches. As far as the implications are concerned, if you used the flap leaver the flaps will remain in maneuvering mode, if you use the dlc wheel, the computer can operated the flaps still. So for instance if you were in burner the new flap binding will prevent wings from getting past like 45deg or so, where in the old one the computer would collapse them and continue to sweep. AFAIK there isn't anything notable beyond that though. And as HB said, it's unrealistic for pilots to use the flap lever for partial flaps when their thumb is right there.

Edited by RodWan Olds

I have yet to get home and look at the files, but you can't get full extension on the maneuver flaps with the flap hadle before the aux extend, so it may be that HB has written a binding that basically is just a second DLC aft binding. In that case my previous statement is incorrect. I am unsure if the computer will override the DLC wheel and continue to sweep if you were actively holding it, but that would be one way to run the binding.

• 1 month later...

Great document, thank you for it!

I’ve jammed the flaps with overspeeding before.  I tried to use the emergency flap up keybind but it didn’t retract the flaps. Is there more to its use?

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

3 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

I’ve jammed the flaps with overspeeding before.  I tried to use the emergency flap up keybind but it didn’t retract the flaps. Is there more to its use?

There is something...

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#flaps-and-slats

If a fault exists preventing retraction of flaps the FLAP handle should be moved to the UP position and then moved outboard and up to the EMER UP position, overriding faulty interlocks.

...but jammed flaps are whole another story and you can't fix it unless you land and repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria