The coolest little thing just got me excited

FoxxyTrotty

I was doing CAS mission and i got clipped by some AAA and I had the most amazing "damage" to the F18 i had ever experienced in DCS. The engines kept prodcing thrust then cutting out - a bit like compressor stalls, and then instantly all the power would cut out, the engines then came back on, the beeping occured as the systems started to boot up, then again... cut.

This actions were repeating every 2-3 seconds, so the there was constant beeping and no functional displays etc. On the way home I decieded to try running the APU, to see if I could milk the power off a working APU to at least get my nav systems working and such - and to my suprise, once the APU had booted up, my systems came back alive.

This was such a nice touch and i just really appreciated it and it made me happy, like one of those moments in DCS that I haven't had in a while where I really appreciated the attention to detail - so thanks to whoever put that little gem in.

• Like 8

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

Wow that is sooo cool man. You know I had a similar experience on Rising Squall Campaign by INVERTED in the 3 mission you have to take out some ground targets with rockets and ground incendiaries. On about my 100th attempt (exaggerating) I came down low in my f18 and i was hit by some small arms AA. My wing was damaged and what looked like my left intake took some punishment. I limped away and eventually had to eject. And try again on that mission. I love my F18, I'm learning so much, and just recently with those new engine sounds on the intakes, wow... I love what ED is doing..

• Like 3

There's a lot of core Hornet systems that were done phenomenally well, they just don't get as much attention as the avionics. Just look at the systems that were slaved over for so long that we take for granted, such as the caution and advisory system. I went back a few days ago and read over the initial development reports, amazing stuff.

Mobius708

• Like 1

The APU could power the electric system provided the engine still spins freely. The APU will drive the AMAD(Airframe Mounted Accessory Drive). The AMAD drives the the generator. 

• Like 1

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

7 hours ago, Robin_Hood said:

Except that tha APU in the Hornet doesn't provide electrical power. So...

Sorta. It's not really intended to be used that way, but it could be. The APU can drive either the right or left AMAD, and the AMAD can be decoupled from the engine if needed. The APU intake and exhaust isn't really designed for in-flight use so the manual recommends APU use should be attempted below 10,000 ft and 250 KCAS. 

See NATOPS I-2-27 through -28 (2.4.1 AMAD and 2.4.2 APU). 

• Thanks 1

Now i like my Hornet even more 🙂

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II