Purple FCR Symbology

Invisibull

I understand from another post that the new FCR symbology is a work in progress.  That being the case, I would hope another color could be used to represent a bandit that's been fired on in RWS.  The shade of purple being used now makes the contact all but disappear from my scope due to lack of contrast with B scope's black background.

Thx 

• Like 2

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

I understand from another post that the new FCR symbology is a work in progress.  That being the case, I would hope another color could be used to represent a bandit that's been fired on in RWS.  The shade of purple being used now makes the contact all but disappear from my scope due to lack of contrast with B scope's black background.

Thx 
I think the choice of color on the FCR is so limited to what they really are in the F-16 ED is implementing. I am pretty sure Ed will do it as it is in the real aircraft.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

46 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

I think the choice of color on the FCR is so limited to what they really are in the F-16 ED is implementing. I am pretty sure Ed will do it as it is in the real aircraft.

It would be nice if there was a checkbox or a slider for 'full realism' and 'readable to humans in a simulation that don't have calibrated 8k displays and 20/10 vision'.

• Like 3

The main issue is that the MFD brightness in the DCS F-16 is incredibly weak. The MFDs always look dim during daytime. If purple symbology would be invisible during daytime like it is in DCS, it would never have made it into the real F-16. And simply changing the colour of the symbology would be an incredibly lazy and unrealistic workaround.

• Like 9

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

8 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

I'd be fine with keeping the proper color, just expressed in an easier to see way.  Perhaps more contrast on the scope or something? 

7 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

The main issue is that the MFD brightness in the DCS F-16 is incredibly weak. The MFDs always look dim during daytime. If purple symbology would be invisible during daytime like it is in DCS, it would never have made it into the real F-16. And simply changing the colour of the symbology would be an incredibly lazy and unrealistic workaround.

Agree totally.  As I said in another response, I don't actually need there to be a different color, just need to be able to see the contact after Fox3. 

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Colors for symbology elements are configurable for the operating nation or air force. It should be verified what colors are in use by the particular nation simulated. I see one case of magenta being used for AIM-120 target track while missile is not in "kill" phase. A normal successful engagement would have the track go from yellow->magenta->red.

• ED Team

Please bare in mind this is work in progress and the purple will be removed, FCR colours and symbols are currently being tweaked. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please bare in mind this is work in progress and the purple will be removed, FCR colours and symbols are currently being tweaked. 

thanks

Why will the purple be removed? it's an accurate color. the MFD readability and brightness is what should be tweaked

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

12 hours ago, FoxOne007 said:

Why will the purple be removed? it's an accurate color. the MFD readability and brightness is what should be tweaked

15 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

There seems to be a massive amount of confusion at ED at the moments with regards this FCR symbology. It's probably a good idea for ED to take a step back and reassess their source material before commenting further. The purple should be an accurate colour under certain conditions. 

There's a bunch for other symbology related items that need looking at too, but that would be 'off-topic' so I won't post here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

I would suggest waiting while we are in early access and the work is still in progress. 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

38 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I would suggest waiting while we are in early access and the work is still in progress. 

thanks

Well we try to but when you then day things like: “oh sure, the purple will be removed” you can expect us as the community to react if the change is something that was realistic to something unrealistic

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I get my information directly from the team, it is the weekend so give me some time to clarify with them. But please, be patient. 

• Like 1

• ED Team

The colours are very WIP and were not even meant to be in this build.

Note that the colours used depend on the year and if an MLU jet. Based on SME feedback, it is not accurate for our particular Viper. As always, we continue to investigate to find the most accurate information.

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Note that the colours used depend on the year and if an MLU jet. Based on SME feedback, it is not accurate for our particular Viper. As always, we continue to investigate to find the most accurate information.

thanks

They’re in the M4 MLU doc, which I thought was correct for a 2007 viper?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I talked to Wags about this, who in turn discussed with several SMEs. Under normal circumstances, the colour of an AIM-120 track target (launched missile and missile active) will not change from the ROE HAFU colour (yellow or red in this case). Although a magenta colour could be assigned to a unique use-case through the mission planning software, this would be a very rare thing. 99% of time, you’d never had an AIM-120 launched on target turn magenta or automatically turn red at missile active… again, it would be the same ROE colour as also used on the HSI.

Although there are some documents floating around that show a magenta track system, it’s just an example of what could be possible, not would be commonly seen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m not quite sure I agree with the HAFU reference here. I was of the understanding that the F-16 doesn’t correlate IFF/ID status with system tracks, at least not in the same vein as the Hornet.  Link 16 input might apply here but surely that would only come into play with TWS. 

Wait and see I guess, but the jury’s out…..

Edited by AvroLanc

F-16 does correlate at least L16 to radar returns. IFF I'm not sure. Pure speculation but I'm guessing that colorization can be done by HAFU or the yellow-magenta-red mechanization and USAF chooses the HAFU colorization to be higher priority (or instead) of the other method.

I don't know what is the HAFU identity source apart from L16. If L16 is turned off what is the source for HAFU colorization if any?

19 minutes ago, Frederf said:

I don't know what is the HAFU identity source apart from L16. If L16 is turned off what is the source for HAFU colorization if any?

Well yeah, that’s exactly my point. Without LINK 16 there’s no additional source of ID in the F-16. And since RWS doesn’t correlate L16 with radar tracks, should the colourisation only happen in TWS?  Lots of unanswered questions. 

On 8/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

Thx Can't ask for more.