How Jester determine if a target is hostile?

NaCH

Hey as the title says. What parameters use Jester to determine when a target is hostile and how can be affected. 

Im asking because in the last 2 days In different multiplayer servers I asked for stt or using pal and jesters yells watch it friendly and the vid him as hostile. 

It happen is different mp servers.   

Jester its a bit bugged when it comes to callout for STT target. I have a hinch that it might be cause because there are the same aircraft on both side.

My advice is to use the TCS( I bind the button myself)

Now with that being said. Please HB add FOV option for the TCS in Jester menu so i can IFF far target

Edited by ustio
  • Like 1

Just now, ustio said:

I have a hinch that it might be cause because there are the same aircraft on both side.

Bingo. When you get closer Jester gets closer he tries to make a VID using the TCS (or Mk1 Eyeball), and if there are multiple sides using the same aircraft, he gets confused about affiliation.

• Like 1

He also has tendencies to keep locking the same friendly over and over again despite being told to lock the bandit. This happens only when there are multiple contacts in close proximity, but it can get extremely irritating after the first couple of iterations. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

2 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

He also has tendencies to keep locking the same friendly over and over again despite being told to lock the bandit. This happens only when there are multiple contacts in close proximity, but it can get extremely irritating after the first couple of iterations. 

It's actually the AWG-9s 'computer' doing the locking, not Jester. Jester can (and often does) over-ride the system and moves the hook around onto targets that are hostile. But to answer the question for how *he* knows, it's simple: The F-14 is one of the earliest aircraft with data-link capability, and the E-2 would bounce an IFF challenge off of a target, and if the code it got back was hostile, it would spread that information out to all available Tomcats. By the time of the hornet (and F-14D) the system was light enough to be put on a carrier based aircraft

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tank50us said:

It's actually the AWG-9s 'computer' doing the locking, not Jester. Jester can (and often does) over-ride the system and moves the hook around onto targets that are hostile. But to answer the question for how *he* knows, it's simple: The F-14 is one of the earliest aircraft with data-link capability, and the E-2 would bounce an IFF challenge off of a target, and if the code it got back was hostile, it would spread that information out to all available Tomcats. By the time of the hornet (and F-14D) the system was light enough to be put on a carrier based aircraft

That is the iff process, but when you stt a target that iff return hostile he still says watch  it , locked a friendly. I think it has to do woth what @ustio and @near_blind explain. it make sense to me. 

Edited by NaCH
Orthography

The tomcat has its own IFF interrogator and does not need an E-2 for that. Jester does actively IFF targets in TWS or STT and assigns the respective type to the tracks. I'm not sure though if he starts to visually IFF targets once in visual range. 

Edited by sLYFa
  • Like 2

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

32 minutes ago, sLYFa said:

The tomcat has its own IFF interrogator and does not need an E-2 for that. Jester does actively IFF targets in TWS or STT and assigns the respective type to the tracks. I'm not sure though if he starts to visually IFF targets once in visual range.

This! The Tomcat has an IFF interrogator and the RIO can use it to interrogate contacts, just like you can do in the F-16 (TMS left) or the F/A-18 (SSS down or AUTO mode).

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, Tank50us said:

I'm talking about STT-ing the target after being IFF-d. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 8/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, QuiGon said:

This! The Tomcat has an IFF interrogator and the RIO can use it to interrogate contacts, just like you can do in the F-16 (TMS left) or the F/A-18 (SSS down or AUTO mode).

yeh, when youre closing at 1k knots + it seems to take FOREVER lol

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

On 8/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, sLYFa said:

On 8/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, QuiGon said:

I think I did not make my self clear.... 

In the tid you see the target as hostile, both by DL and by owned radar but STILL when you go to PD-STT Jester call it friendly. This happen to me in MP server where both planes are in the same side.