Super annoying WMR Windows popup screen - How do I get rid of it?

sirrah

(Using a Reverb G1)

After starting DCS and every time I put off and on my HMD in the middle of a session, I have to press:

• Alt-TAB
  • WIN-Y
  • Alt-TAB

in order to get my mouse working in DCS.

Sometimes I mess up (doing this "blindfolded") and I end up with this super annoying Windows popup in the middle of my view...

image.png

How on earth do I get rid of this stupid popup without using the hand controllers??? (I never use my hand controllers, so they are stashed away in the original box).

There must be some kind of key combo to make this go away, right? Any help would be highly appreciated.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I tried pressing the Windows key on my keyboard, but it doesn't make this go away ☹️

(I don't ever use my controllers, so I don't have them lying around nearby)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, Blackhaze440 said:

Turn off the sensor that detects if you have it on or not and use the option that says "use win+Y" to switch from wmr to desktop in the mixed reality app settings

Where/how do I do that? I thought the only way was to put some tape on the sensor. Is there also a less crude solution to this?

System specs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, Brainfreeze said:

In the WMR settings (windows settings).  You need to have manual switching with win+Y so you don’t lose your mouse in dcs

Thanks, gonna try that 👍

System specs:

That screen usually only comes up when the windows button on a controller has been pressed.  I know that you had said you don't use your controllers, but pressing the windows button on one of them is the only way I know of to get that popup panel to go away.  Pressing the windows key on the keyboard doesn't do the same thing, so it won't make it go away.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...

I’m getting this same start menu pop up during game play on the odd occasion. It’s almost like some voice command has been recognised and opens the start menu. 

Just read 45 pages of the WMR thread but nothing on there about the issue. 
Any bright ideas from anyone?

Thanks. 

• 9 months later...

I get this too, occasionally, and I don't even own a pair of controllers. I get other types of dialog popups as well. Today I got one saying "Your IP is: " (not showing an IP number). There was a "Close" action button but I have no clue as to click it. I do have WIN+Y set to manual to set focus to WMR but that didn't help. Is WMR hogging certain keybinds to popup stuff like this? If so; is there some settings somewhere I can deactivate that?

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

2 hours ago, moggel said:

I get this too, occasionally, and I don't even own a pair of controllers. I get other types of dialog popups as well. Today I got one saying "Your IP is: " (not showing an IP number). There was a "Close" action button but I have no clue as to click it. I do have WIN+Y set to manual to set focus to WMR but that didn't help. Is WMR hogging certain keybinds to popup stuff like this? If so; is there some settings somewhere I can deactivate that?

Hmm sounds like something else may be going on in your system to me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

En 14/8/2021 a las 10:13, sirrah dijo:

(Using a Reverb G1)

After starting DCS and every time I put off and on my HMD in the middle of a session, I have to press:

• Alt-TAB
  • WIN-Y
  • Alt-TAB

in order to get my mouse working in DCS.

Sometimes I mess up (doing this "blindfolded") and I end up with this super annoying Windows popup in the middle of my view...

image.png

How on earth do I get rid of this stupid popup without using the hand controllers??? (I never use my hand controllers, so they are stashed away in the original box).

There must be some kind of key combo to make this go away, right? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Here is my experience, hope it helps.

This windows appears only on tree situations.

1- You press the window button on your LEFT controller, in WMR pages from microsoft, in the special reverb thread is a way to block this via registry, if you use an xbox gamepad, pressing the central x logo button will sow also this anoying window.

2 - You say "go to start" I think, (I am spanish and it appears with "ir a inicio" and the voice recognition enables this start window. 

3 - is possible that you have a button in your hotas binded to the "win key" look in your controls and press the win key to see if is binded to some function.

here is a way to disable the win function in the controllers, bur if you press the win key it will appears

4 - Other way is to disable via sofware or via switch the win key in your keyboard (most of the gaming keyboards have a "gaming switch" that disables win key

image.png

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

9 hours ago, firefox121 said:

Here is my experience, hope it helps.

This windows appears only on tree situations.

1- You press the window button on your LEFT controller, in WMR pages from microsoft, in the special reverb thread is a way to block this via registry, if you use an xbox gamepad, pressing the central x logo button will sow also this anoying window.

2 - You say "go to start" I think, (I am spanish and it appears with "ir a inicio" and the voice recognition enables this start window. 

3 - is possible that you have a button in your hotas binded to the "win key" look in your controls and press the win key to see if is binded to some function.

here is a way to disable the win function in the controllers, bur if you press the win key it will appears

4 - Other way is to disable via sofware or via switch the win key in your keyboard (most of the gaming keyboards have a "gaming switch" that disables win key

image.png

Thanks mate, but this solution from @Brainfreezealready solved it for me:

Haven't had the issue since

Check here for instructions

System specs:

• 9 months later...

10 months later, I had this problem with a new computer.
I believe the annoying pop up panel is the desktop view app.

Got to settings > Mixed reality > Start up and desktop.

I have all the options unticked. The one to solve OP's question is Desktop view. Don't let it open the desktop view app when a desktop app gains focus and I'm wearing my headset. 

This might help someone else.