Covered in airfields?

Kilo

So I found this website where I found this map and I found that the Krasnodar Krai region was (is?) covered in small airfields like those found in DCS near Kutaisi. If you check with Google Maps, you can see that today, most of them are now derelict/turned into industrial areas/gone altogether.

Some of them are as close as 15km of each other, with runways having around 400m in length. What necessity would give the reason for that many small airfields in such a relatively small area?

Edited by Kilo

Все буде добре

WWII I'd imagine.  It is the same in the UK.  Often invisible from the ground, but once airborne you can see hundreds of familiar three-runway triangles typical of WWII bomber fields, especially over Yorkshire & Lincolnshire.  Most now absorbed by farms or industrial estates but there are a few still in use as airfields.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:41 AM, Lace said:

WWII I'd imagine.  It is the same in the UK.  Often invisible from the ground, but once airborne you can see hundreds of familiar three-runway triangles typical of WWII bomber fields, especially over Yorkshire & Lincolnshire.  Most now absorbed by farms or industrial estates but there are a few still in use as airfields.

I guess that might be the case, but they feel too small and too modern for that. Most of those that I still could find look like this, covered (or, at least, they used to be) in concrete tiles, with two south of Krasnodar that have a runway with the apron at the end and to the side of it. The chart lists them as useable into the 80s, too.

Untitled35.png

On 8/17/2021 at 10:36 PM, corn322 said:

Helicopter transports?

Might be, but the number seems far too excessive, seemingly rivaling the number of settlements

Edited by Kilo
Spelling, filled in some more info

Все буде добре