thrustmaster joystick base repair

treasure

after this base got stiffer than ever to move after i stripped it down to sand off the burrs i got in touch with TM support.  they asked for  a video, which i made (of the joystick u deviats)   anyhow, they wrote back and said its genuinly broken - still under warranty.  they send me a UPS docket to send it to France for repair, well i was totally gobsmacked.  after being frustrated with their hardware for so long all is forgiven by the entertainment value of sending the unit to france and the very gracious apologies from TM, however, i wont put up with any more letdowns, if its not working properly when it comes back ( and to be honest i dont really care if i never see it again - it can disappear over the side of the earth for all i care)  then i will just box it up and it can live out the rest of its days in  a dusty spider web corner of my garage.  the stick now resides on a virpil warbird base, which has the exact right feel for me, but i would prefer to have the TM one in use if possible - the videos i have seen after deburring says it should have the perfect responses i am looking for

after this base got stiffer than ever to move after i stripped it down to sand off the burrs i got in touch with TM support.  they asked for  a video, which i made (of the joystick u deviats)   anyhow, they wrote back and said its genuinly broken - still under warranty.  they send me a UPS docket to send it to France for repair, well i was totally gobsmacked.  after being frustrated with their hardware for so long all is forgiven by the entertainment value of sending the unit to france and the very gracious apologies from TM, however, i wont put up with any more letdowns, if its not working properly when it comes back ( and to be honest i dont really care if i never see it again - it can disappear over the side of the earth for all i care)  then i will just box it up and it can live out the rest of its days in  a dusty spider web corner of my garage.  the stick now resides on a virpil warbird base, which has the exact right feel for me, but i would prefer to have the TM one in use if possible - the videos i have seen after deburring says it should have the perfect responses i am looking for
Sanded and greased mine with Nyogel, (jeez that thing is sticky), today.
Paired with Sahaj's blue spring and 2x20cm extensions, have limited the deflection and recalibrated. It feels awesome and did my first AAR in the Hornet today.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, treasure said:

The stick now resides on a virpil warbird base, which has the exact right feel for me, but i would prefer to have the TM one in use if possible - the videos i have seen after deburring says it should have the perfect responses i am looking for

Why would you prefer using the TM OEM base when the VirPil (I have the same) is 10x better in build quality and feel (feel is subjective of course)? I don't care what you do to the OEM base, IMO it will never match the Virpil.  

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

12 hours ago, GaryR said:

Why would you prefer using the TM OEM base when the VirPil (I have the same) is 10x better in build quality and feel (feel is subjective of course)? I don't care what you do to the OEM base, IMO it will never match the Virpil.  

i also play msfs a little, and it cant see the base properly, so i have to fiddle with settings too much, i know there is a fix for this, but seems a bit complicated for me.  when the TM one comes back, if its not as good as virpil, it goes to storage

18 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Sanded and greased mine with Nyogel, (jeez that thing is sticky), today.
Paired with Sahaj's blue spring and 2x20cm extensions, have limited the deflection and recalibrated. It feels awesome and did my first AAR in the Hornet today.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

nice job, i also have the softer spring, so if they fix it there is a good chance i will end up with a good result

• Like 1

8 hours ago, treasure said:

i also play msfs a little, and it cant see the base properly, so i have to fiddle with settings too much, i know there is a fix for this, but seems a bit complicated for me. 

You mean MSFS doesn't see the Virpil base properly? What fix are you talking about?

8 hours ago, treasure said:

when the TM one comes back, if its not as good as virpil, it goes to storage

It will never be as good as the Virpil. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

14 hours ago, treasure said:

i also play msfs a little, and it cant see the base properly, so i have to fiddle with settings too much, i know there is a fix for this, but seems a bit complicated for me.  when the TM one comes back, if its not as good as virpil, it goes to storage

Have you set the Stick up in the VirPil VPC Config Tool to have the TM Stick's ID's (PID\VID)? Once done Windows and TARGET see it as a TM WARTHOG Stick, same as OEM. This also allows you to use TARGET scrips for it if you like, including the DX128 profile that assigns DX presses to ALL switch positions on your WARTHOG Throttle..

Its fairly easy, this is a little old but you wil lget the idea - 

Under Profile select the Throttle Base Thrustmaster Warthog Hornet (there is no F-16, ignore it)

Set USB Name to "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"

Set VID/PID to 044F \0402

Clik "Reset Windows Name/Calibration" button

Done

Edited by GaryR

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 8/16/2021 at 9:12 PM, GaryR said:

Have you set the Stick up in the VirPil VPC Config Tool to have the TM Stick's ID's (PID\VID)? Once done Windows and TARGET see it as a TM WARTHOG Stick, same as OEM. This also allows you to use TARGET scrips for it if you like, including the DX128 profile that assigns DX presses to ALL switch positions on your WARTHOG Throttle..

Under Profile select the Throttle Base Thrustmaster Warthog Hornet (there is no F-16, ignore it)

Done

thanks Gary, i may well go down this road if the result i get back from TM isnt at least the same as my current experience.  if i understand what you say, i implement these settings, then do i still need to implement the script work as described in an earlier post?

latest update, i get an email from france saying 

Dear Customer,
We confirm the successful delivery of your parcel.
Our processing times are temporarily extended.
You will receive a confirmation upon shipment of your repaired product within approximately 15 days.

this morning i wake up to an email saying its been dispatched, on its way back to me, now its getting exciting, or maybe i just need to get a life.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, treasure said:

thanks Gary, i may well go down this road if the result i get back from TM isnt at least the same as my current experience.  if i understand what you say, i implement these settings, then do i still need to implement the script work as described in an earlier post?

I have a brand new TM Warthog base, works perfectly, no stickiness, not notchy, but the VirPil is so much better...  Just to clarify, when you change the name and VID\PID to match your former TM JStick base you are telling Windows (and the TM TARGET software) that you have a "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog", not a VirPil. At that point it is exactly the same as the former base as far as your system is concerned, you do not have to do anything else to use it just as it was before the swap. IF you want to give your Warthog THROTTLE the added capability of having every Switch (on-middle-off or on-off)\Hat\Push button position seen as a DX# press you can run the DX128 Script in TARGET then go program everything in the DCS Controls section for whatever plane you have (works perfectly for IL2 also, have to simply Stop the script for BMS). Hope that's clear?

Edited by GaryR

Done

hey gary, any chance you can describe how to get to the window above, i have used this prog during initial setup, but cant seem to navigate to this screen

Done

hey gary, any chance you can describe how to get to this screen?, i used this prog during initial setup, but cant seem to navigate to this screen TIA

3 hours ago, treasure said:

hey gary, any chance you can describe how to get to this screen?, i used this prog during initial setup, but cant seem to navigate to this screen TIA

Keep in mind that (previous posts from Reddit) was a pic of an older version of VPC Config, I hope I can do it from memory as mine has the TM info displayed now..

(You already have the TM Grip on the WarBrd base so ---)

Start VPC Configuration Tool

In the grey window on top left (to the right of Green READY) select the Virpil Joystick, make note of it's VID\PID and name. Selecting it will kick you to the AXIS Window

Click the PROFILE button

In the Main window should be the "Profile Wizard" with 3 pull down windows

1st - [FLIGHT BASE] VPC WarBRD, 2nd - [FLIGHT GRIP] TM Warthog/FA-18 (there is no F16 choice, no matter), 3rd - leave blank

Bottom Center is the "USB" Window. USB Name (to match exactly the OEM Windows name)= "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog", VID/PID = "044F" and "0402", Boot delay = "4 sec"

Click "Reset Windows Name/Calibration". I have included a pic of my VPC screen.

Now, I can't remember if, after shutting down VPC if a reboot was needed or not but up on top left (grey window next to green READY) you should see "VID:044F PID:0402 Joystick - HOTAS Warthog (VPC-JOY-xxxxxxxx)  if all went well - Mine is "VPC-JOY-20210102" but no idea if that is my system only or not.. Windows Control Panel\Devices and Printers\Multimedia Devices should show your Thrustmaster gear (pic attached of this.)

If you run into a roadblock let me know and i'll try to help you figure it out. If all is well you can use TARGET to program it (I use the DX128 profile on the throttle and set all functions up in DCS, no special stuff, no messing with lua files) and the TM Calibration tool to recalibrate if needed.. Windows and TM think its a standard Warthog base now.

VPC tool.jpg

TM Gear in Ctrl Panel.jpg

Edited by GaryR

9 hours ago, GaryR said:

Keep in mind that (previous posts from Reddit) was a pic of an older version of VPC Config, I hope I can do it from memory as mine has the TM info displayed now..

(You already have the TM Grip on the WarBrd base so ---)

Start VPC Configuration Tool

In the grey window on top left (to the right of Green READY) select the Virpil Joystick, make note of it's VID\PID and name. Selecting it will kick you to the AXIS Window

Click the PROFILE button

In the Main window should be the "Profile Wizard" with 3 pull down windows

1st - [FLIGHT BASE] VPC WarBRD, 2nd - [FLIGHT GRIP] TM Warthog/FA-18 (there is no F16 choice, no matter), 3rd - leave blank

Bottom Center is the "USB" Window. USB Name (to match exactly the OEM Windows name)= "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog", VID/PID = "044F" and "0402", Boot delay = "4 sec"

Click "Reset Windows Name/Calibration". I have included a pic of my VPC screen.

Now, I can't remember if, after shutting down VPC if a reboot was needed or not but up on top left (grey window next to green READY) you should see "VID:044F PID:0402 Joystick - HOTAS Warthog (VPC-JOY-xxxxxxxx)  if all went well - Mine is "VPC-JOY-20210102" but no idea if that is my system only or not.. Windows Control Panel\Devices and Printers\Multimedia Devices should show your Thrustmaster gear (pic attached of this.)

If you run into a roadblock let me know and i'll try to help you figure it out. If all is well you can use TARGET to program it (I use the DX128 profile on the throttle and set all functions up in DCS, no special stuff, no messing with lua files) and the TM Calibration tool to recalibrate if needed.. Windows and TM think its a standard Warthog base now.

VPC tool.jpg

TM Gear in Ctrl Panel.jpg

wow, i am gobsmacked, thanks so much, i will implement this today and give it a whirl, hopefully this will solve this issue and i can just get on with playing, i will let you know how i go

• Thanks 1

This has nothing to do with your JStick but it is the TARGET Script I use (effects only the Throttle) to give all switch positions\Hats\buttons a DX# assignment which can then be assigned in the DCS World KB settings for each plane.. I think the two files are all you need to drop into your "Scripts" folder.. but if you try it and have an issue let me know and i'll zip up the whole folder.

DX128 script.zip

Edited by GaryR

On 8/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, GaryR said:

This has nothing to do with your JStick but it is the TARGET Script I use (effects only the Throttle) to give all switch positions\Hats\buttons a DX# assignment which can then be assigned in the DCS World KB settings for each plane.. I think the two files are all you need to drop into your "Scripts" folder.. but if you try it and have an issue let me know and i'll zip up the whole folder.

DX128 script.zip 10.7 kB · 2 downloads

hey Gary, the previous screen grab you sent on the virpil interface setting did the trick, when i start up dcs now i can see the additional joystick assignments, so pretty pleased with that, not sure what the script files you sent will do additionally, but i will drop them in and see what they do, many thanks for your help

12 hours ago, treasure said:

hey Gary, the previous screen grab you sent on the virpil interface setting did the trick, when i start up dcs now i can see the additional joystick assignments, so pretty pleased with that, not sure what the script files you sent will do additionally, but i will drop them in and see what they do, many thanks for your help

Does nothing to the Joystick or Pedals, programs the THROTTLE only. Out of the box the Warthog Throttle has a maximum of 32 DX assignments so about 1/2 of the toggle switch positions do nothing. Using the DX128 TARGET script (actually called WarthogThrottleALLSwitchesPos.tmc) assigns a DX# to every switch position, ON and OFF (and Middle if 3-way), did you not notice that DCS did not see many of the throttle switch positions when setting up KB commands? Once (IF you want to) you run the script you will need to go back and reset (Throttle only) anything you set previously as the DX#'s will change (and the Throttle name column will show as "THRUSTMASTER COMBINED DX128"), but its well worth doing, trust me. Works in IL2 also, but not in BMS (can't see #'s beyond DX32, you simply Stop the script and use Alternative Launcher to assign Release functions)..

Edited by GaryR