Reviews for Tobii Eye Tracker 5?

It has potential, but I didn't like it compared to my nearly 15 year old TIR4.

It seamingly always tracks your eyes, even though its disabled. Eye tracking was quite annoying for me with a large monitor because trying to coordinate eye and head movement together to focus on switches was very distracting, to the point where I got headaches.

It also tracks your head by looking at a series of points on your face, so if you move your nose, your eyebrows or open your mouth the tracking starts jittering because it thinks you've moved your head.

I upgraded to VR so I no longer need the Tobii.

• Like 2

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

I got the Tobii 5 and am very happy with it.

Since I have a terrarium behind my flight chair, I always got IR interferrence with other systems (drove me mad). But with the Tobii I have no problems at all. FYI: I wear glasses.

I am not a big fan of the eye tracking in DCS, so I turned it off and just use head tracking. What worked best for me is the Tobii in combination with FacetrackNoIR with the plugin. Tracking is smooth as butter. But if you do this, don't forget to close the Tobii Games thingie. Otherwise you get weird janks.

i7 8700K water cooled | GTX 1080ti water cooled | 16GB DDR4 3600 | 1TB M.2 | X56 Hotas | Acer VR HMD

On 8/22/2021 at 1:46 AM, delande said:

Please, tell about it, when it will come 🙂

Well.... it arrive early by DHL.  Very nice packaging it was placed in. Quite professional. I was helped to set up with this video. His settings are shown in video.

This one shows Tobii being used in DCS

After you download the drivers you download Tobii Game Hub from Tobii site, for adjusting all tracking settings for head and eye. Here:  Tobii Gaming | Download or Setup Eye Tracking Software and Drivers

And here is their video about setting up Game Hub Getting started with Tobii Game Hub – Tobii Support

Other people have said they used FaceTrack Noir or something. I have not tried that. Maybe I'll try it later, but this Tobii Game Hub seems to work for me.

I have used Tobii with Eye Tracking plus Headtracking. Then tried it with just headtracking. At the moments I have turned on back the eye tracking (gazing) but lowered the percent it has effect to about 15% so that it just comes on little to add another small dimension.  In the first video you can see the settings that he uses. It is a good place to start.

For me, this Tobii is more natural than my old HeadTracker thing which was clunky and would screw up. I am so happy that I don't have to wear contraption on my head. It's nice.

I will experiment with settings some yet. The only thing that I need to get straight is the reset to center view function. Right now it doesn't seem to be go back immediately when I click the button assigned for that. But, it I find that I don't have to recenter it with button if I adjust my seat and body. It them comes back. I have only used it for a few hours.

Overall, I like this much better than the head contraption things.  I have mounted it to a big gaming notebook. A very thin magnetic metal bar provided, is stuck with strong tape below the screen which the magnet hold the Tobii bar when you want to use . You can just pull the Tobii off when done and leave the metal bar on the notebook and close the lid.

Tobii is having 20% off sale for 13 more days so now it good time to buy one. Here: Tobii Eye Tracker 5 - The Next Generation of Head and Eye Tracking - Tobii Gaming

By the way, I bought my Tobii when the sale was on but it was only 10% off sale.  I hurried to buy it before sale ends. I bought during the last few minutes of the sale. After I paid for it, the the price immediately dropped down to this 20% sale. I was sad. ... But Tobii sales contacted me and said that they are refunding me the 10%, so that I got 20% off.

That was very nice. They have been good to do business with. Very fast and efficient.  

Edited by Капитан Чук

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 7:02 PM, Kea said:

I got the Tobii 5 and am very happy with it.

Since I have a terrarium behind my flight chair, I always got IR interferrence with other systems (drove me mad). But with the Tobii I have no problems at all. FYI: I wear glasses.

I am not a big fan of the eye tracking in DCS, so I turned it off and just use head tracking. What worked best for me is the Tobii in combination with FacetrackNoIR with the plugin. Tracking is smooth as butter. But if you do this, don't forget to close the Tobii Games thingie. Otherwise you get weird janks.

I would like to ask, why chose you FacetrackNoIR instead of to use Tobii Game Hub?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, Капитан Чук said:

I would like to ask, why chose you FacetrackNoIR instead of to use Tobii Game Hub?  

using the Tobii Game Hub, it was kinda difficult getting it to work the way I like it with head tracking only. Using FacetrackNoIR setting everything up was easy and it works like a charm.

I don't use the eye tracking function because I have an ultra-wide curved screen that is quite close to me, so everytime I checked my dials, the view started to drift. When in a dogfight, or ass-to-the-ground SEAD or bombing, it can be very distracting/annoying

• Like 1

i7 8700K water cooled | GTX 1080ti water cooled | 16GB DDR4 3600 | 1TB M.2 | X56 Hotas | Acer VR HMD

Using it since 2..3 weeks now (got it on their sale).

In the beginning I struggled a bit finding settings that I like as it tracks head and eyes.

Now after some youTube research, trial and error, I managed to set it up using my head+ eyes mainly for big movement (scanning environment) but for small movements (checking gauges) I try to coordinate my eyes, only.

It's quite different to using TIR5 but I really start to like the Tobii approach much more!

NB: Currently flying on a 17" Laptop without external monitor(s) connected (so far) ...  🙂

Edited by Vettefan

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 5:56 PM, Kea said:

using the Tobii Game Hub, it was kinda difficult getting it to work the way I like it with head tracking only. Using FacetrackNoIR setting everything up was easy and it works like a charm.

I don't use the eye tracking function because I have an ultra-wide curved screen that is quite close to me, so everytime I checked my dials, the view started to drift. When in a dogfight, or ass-to-the-ground SEAD or bombing, it can be very distracting/annoying

I am using this guy's settings at the moment. It is in Korean I think but you can scroll down figure out what his settings are.
Half-blade illusion :: Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator and Tobii eye tracker 5 settings sharing for DCS World (hosii-info.translate.goog)

[DCS] Tobii eye tracker 5 Test Flight (with F-16C Viper) - YouTube