My Keybinds Disappear. When i load old Profile, its empty too.

I constantly lose Keybinds.  I save to the same file, anytime i need to use that file after an install or error.. it doesnt work.

Example, i just reinstalled onto a new SSD, i saved the LUA from the old game, loaded it, nothing. (The file itself is like 10kb, contains hardly anything)

How does Keybind Saving work?  I use the same file for all modules.  Ex "DCSKEYBINDS.lua"  

Reprogramming 300 keybinds everytime i have a problem with DCS is affecting my mental health.

I constantly lose Keybinds.  I save to the same file, anytime i need to use that file after an install or error.. it doesnt work.

Example, i just reinstalled onto a new SSD, i saved the LUA from the old game, loaded it, nothing. (The file itself is like 10kb, contains hardly anything)

How does Keybind Saving work?  I use the same file for all modules.  Ex "DCSKEYBINDS.lua"  

Reprogramming 300 keybinds everytime i have a problem with DCS is affecting my mental health.
Make a copy of the whole input folder, that will be your backup, and just copy the files needed when something breaks.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bartacomus said:

That could be part of your problem.  You'll need to save each in a different file (or at least make sure they're in a different directory -- I can't remember where it saves these).  If you're saving each of them to the same file you're going to only end up saving the last one because you're going to overwrite the previous one each time you save.

• Like 1

That could be part of your problem.  You'll need to save each in a different file (or at least make sure they're in a different directory -- I can't remember where it saves these).  If you're saving each of them to the same file you're going to only end up saving the last one because you're going to overwrite the previous one each time you save.
Good call. I didn't notice that OP did that.
Anyway, what I wrote is still valid.
Settings are actually stored when you press "OK" after a change. There is NO NEED to save into different files.
Like I wrote, copy the
Drive:/Path/user/Saved Games/DCS.xxx/Config/input
Folder, and that's you're perfect backup.
Cheers!

alright. i assumed they were all saved to a save file, since i was prompted to do so, instead of each individual keybind folder.  i guess keys and joysticks are separate too.  and all in different folders.

Clunky.

Thanks guys ill just start saving each category to a new file

alright. i assumed they were all saved to a save file, since i was prompted to do so, instead of each individual keybind folder.  i guess keys and joysticks are separate too.  and all in different folders.

Clunky.

Thanks guys ill just start saving each category to a new file

Each device will have lt's own file, not folder. Joysticks have their own folder i.e.
But again, WHY would you waste your time doing this, when all you have to do is LCtrl Drag&Drop the whole folder and there you have your backup. So no, it's not clunky. Saving all those files individually is.
You can even bring the whole folder to another computer to restore, but that's a little clunky as you need to rename the files, but easily done with a "renamer" app.

Im still unclear how this works.

I found old keybinds in the saved games config folder.  Now i save to the planes key or joystick folder, as needed.

but for years i saved to a single file, not in any folder.  And it worked.  But looks like the file only saved the last changes made, and was then written over.

I still dont get it.. why it worked, when i did it wrong.  Or why it went wrong under some circumstances but not others.

Makes my pucker hurt.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, MAXsenna said:

Each device will have lt's own file, not folder. Joysticks have their own folder i.e.
But again, WHY would you waste your time doing this, when all you have to do is LCtrl Drag&Drop the whole folder and there you have your backup. So no, it's not clunky. emoji4.png Saving all those files individually is.
You can even bring the whole folder to another computer to restore, but that's a little clunky as you need to rename the files, but easily done with a "renamer" app.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:58 PM, MAXsenna said:

But again, WHY would you waste your time doing this, when all you have to do is LCtrl Drag&Drop the whole folder and there you have your backup. So no, it's not clunky. emoji4.png Saving all those files individually is.

Agree that saving down to profiles can be a bit of a headache upfront, but when devices get mixed up (and they do for me, often, with my XK-80 pads that have same name that can't be changed), imo saving to profiles is a time-saver. I can just reload a profile from in the game instead of having to edit GUIDs in the Config\Input filenames (after the headache of reworking the GUIDs in my gremlin profile).

• Like 1

Agree that saving down to profiles can be a bit of a headache upfront, but when devices get mixed up (and they do for me, often, with my XK-80 pads that have same name that can't be changed), imo saving to profiles is a time-saver. I can just reload a profile from in the game instead of having to edit GUIDs in the Config\Input filenames (after the headache of reworking the GUIDs in my gremlin profile).

Yeah, that's a very valid point. I can imagine that kind of headache!!!!
I have relocated "Saved Games" to One Drive, so I have pretty much backup taken care of. I also share some of the folders between Stable and OB, so all my control settings are equal between them.

Im still unclear how this works.

I found old keybinds in the saved games config folder.  Now i save to the planes key or joystick folder, as needed.

but for years i saved to a single file, not in any folder.  And it worked.  But looks like the file only saved the last changes made, and was then written over.

I still dont get it.. why it worked, when i did it wrong.  Or why it went wrong under some circumstances but not others.

Makes my pucker hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed something along the way.
I reinstalled Win10 earlier this summer, and I had problems getting my old controls setup, until I found out that on this Windows the Input folder was moved into a Config folder.