My WWII Pacific Theater Wishlist

Chewmann

I know we are getting the F4U-D (hopefully soon…just saying).  That is my number 1 desire for WWII planes.  I want to play it more land based than carrier based in the Pacific theater.

Now my wishlist...

F4F with missions flying from Wake Island and Henderson Field on Guadalcanal

TBF Avenger off a carrier in the Pacific (torpedo bomber)

SBD Dauntless off a carrier in the Pacific (dive bomber)

A6M Zero (fighter)

B5N Kate (torpedo bomber)

D3A Type 99 Val (dive bomber)

- Note:  Being able to recreate the Battle of Midway and the others would be loads of fun!  Hell, even Pearl Harbor from the list above!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Guadalcanal/New Guinea campaign is the most important campaign in the Pacific, this is when the Allies with the F4F, F4U and the P-40 were finally able to contest and challenge the IJAF and the IJN after which the Allies were in strategically in control. Based on this I would like to see the next WW2 plane, assuming the F4U will happen as:

F4F for Guadalcanal 

P-40 for New Guinea

A6M Zero for Guadalcanal

The P-40 would also be historically accurate for the Flying Tigers and ifs at all possible against the 1943 Luftwaffe in North Africa/Mediterranean, where again the Allies were strategically in control thereafter even though the Luftwaffe may have had superior planes and individual pilots. This would possibly give us the Bf-109 G2/G6 and maybe the FW-190 A4 which would be useful in Channel campaign against the Spitfire Mk IX - though the Mk V would be more appropriate

Based on this the wish list for me is:

F4U for Guadalcanal (Blacksheep squadron)

F4F for Guadalcanal 

P-40 for New Guinea / China (Flying Tigers)  / North Africa / Russia

A6M Zero for Guadalcanal/ China

Bf-109 G2 for North Africa / Russia

This would cover so much of the peak years when the Allies were able to contest the supremacy of the Luftwaffe and IJN across multiple scenarios. This surely would be the most intereresing and pivotal period of WW2, other than the destruction of the Luftwaffe in early 1944 by the 8th Air Force over Germany with P-47 early variants and P-51 B/C, none of which we have 

Edited by Lynchsl62
  • Like 3

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

No one mentioned maps, but just looking at Bing maps, I see the island of Papua/ New Guinea is... larger than I thought! It's too large for the DCS map sizes of today (which seem to be roughly about 550x550 km). On the New Guinea side from the border to the Eastern tip is about 1050km. The whole island, from tip to West Papua is about 2200 km in width. Not that we need the map to be that large to represent a particular battle or two, but a quick check of campaign maps shows that most Allied movments stretched the entire length of the north side of the island.  On the other hand, the Solomon Islands are individually much smaller, Guadalcanal being only 130km wide. Now... it might be possible to fit the entire Solomon Islands onto a current DCS map, even if the actual area is much larger than normal, simply because even with each island, probably around 90% of such a DCS map would be water, much like the Mariannas map, but with a lot more and larger islands.

I have a question about maps - I think I understand what is responsible for the limitation on the size of the map, that being the amount of detail depicted within the boundry of the map. So, if you look at the Caucus map, the actual size of the area that you can see in the ME is far larger than the area that is populated with cultural detail such as roads, bridges, buildings and such. So my question is, if one were to build a map encompassing the whole Solomon Islands chain, from the northern tip of Bouganville to the southern tip of San Cristobal, but only filled in the cultural areas of the few towns, villiges and airfields on each island, as long as the pixels for all of those did not exceed the max limit, would that be doable? How much am I missing here? Not trying to be a smart ass, just want to get an education.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I'm not an expert by any means, I've just looked at this issue in the context of DCS when considering new map proposals as to what might be doable now/verysoon, as opposed to a few years from now, or say 5 to 10 years from now.

I don't believe there is a super-hard "max limit", nor do I think it's about pure 550km by 550km. I use that KM measurement as a measurement based on the notion of a current high density DCS map that works on nearly everyone's systems today. If another map is technically much physically larger, like say Caucasus edge to edge, or Persian Gulf edge to edge, that's not exactly the same, because on both those maps there are extremely low density of terrain details... basically flat empty wasteland much like open water, not real difficult to render, but also not much call to fly far out to those areas... the action is almost always in the higher density regions.

I think it's more about tuning it shortly before release, so that it will run with good framerates with a medium/lower end system that people have been using in DCS.

But yes, it's my belief that the issue revolves around how much details, be it texture density, object polygon totals and what's in view, landclass elevation details (how dense is your elevation map for the mountains valleys and hills?). The larger the data in the map, the harder it is for our systems to render it well with high enough frames to get gun kills, a good 3 wire trap with windy gusts, along with many other online players and many AI opponents to challenge... at a certain point you can choke the average PC, and add a bunch more you can choke even the most amazing gaming PC you can buy at any price. Does that sound like fun, or is there a balance to be struck so that many can fly together on missions, those with bleeding edge systems AND the people who are struggling on a budget with a 4 year old system?

So yea, I do think the whole Solomon Islands could be rendered with a fairly high amount of details, say on par with the Syria map, or similar to the Mariannas map, in part because they are smaller islands with lots of water. Especially by the time the map started today (not saying anyone's actually starting any map today) would likely take two years to complete and by then the average DCS player will likely have a more powerful system. I'd even bet it would run very well on "almost all" DCS fighterjock's systems, at retail sales time!

New Guinea, well, the map and terrain size make that more of maybe 5 years from now kind of proposal, IMO. Or more maybe. But I definately think it would be definately doable in less than 10 years, but that's a long time to wait!

I think the same applies to say a map of Vietnam and it's neighbors. Or say an EF2000 map that includes all Norway through to the north west edges of Russia from St Petersberg to Kola Peninsula... that's a LOT of data, a LOT of tree ojects, many mountains to have millions of elevation data points.

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

So regarding map size, according to a dev from Razbam who is working on the South Atlantic map (Falkland Islands and a portion of Argentina, with a LOT of water in between), that map was already at about 12 gigs worth of data in August 2020, and may well have grown since then. Remember, that's a map with mostly water, and the islands have almost no trees, very few roads, almost barren hills really.

I've no idea how much more data would be involved with milions of object counts, for a much more object dense map. 

I think long term, we'll see not only the Corsair, some carriers, but also Wildcats, Hellcats and others. 

I do wonder if they have a bomber quietly planned, like a B-25 Mitchel or something? Perhaps able to do both strategic and tactical missions? I vaguely recall camera footage of light bombers doing ultra low level bomb-let drops at maybe 50ft, lots of small charges, on a time delay fuze  I think. Others have seen B-25 gunship variants, with 8 half inch Brownings, I think one even had a 76mm howitzer in it?

manually loaded 75 mm (2.95 in) M4 cannon

But I think before all that, we need a Mitsubishi Zero, full fidellity module, to meet in the air!

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 1

^^^

Yes, a TBM Avenger with multicrew would be amazing for the Marianas map.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

^^^^^

That too!!!

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:35 AM, Scotch75 said:

^^^

Yes, a TBM Avenger with multicrew would be amazing for the Marianas map.

Cheers,
emoji1634.png

Having a Turkey to fly in DCS World would pretty much doom my participation in any of the jets I have now! 👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]