Virtually impossible to hover now.

MaRaud3r

Have tried the harrier since I came back for 2.7. Understand the engine was nerfed by ~15% according to alleged real world data. Have seen this disputed though.

I can accept that the engine model was off, so fine, but whatever changes you made makes it virtually impossible to hover now. Very difficult to retard forward movement regardless of fuel and store state.

It’s just a question of practice.  Keep it up

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have found it much easier to hover now.  Engine was much too "twitchy" before it was fixed.  I just get it down to ~18k GWT and I don't even have to worry about water.  My skills are still not the sharpest so I use 700-900lb fuel for ship vertical landing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spurts said:

I have found it much easier to hover now.  Engine was much too "twitchy" before it was fixed.  I just get it down to ~18k GWT and I don't even have to worry about water.  My skills are still not the sharpest so I use 700-900lb fuel for ship vertical landing.  

wow, you like living on the edge...

OK did a bunch more reading/testing.

Problem was I was using the old nozzle setting of 72.

You now need a nozzle setting of 82. Not sure if this was communicated anywhere, but I didn't find it till re reading chucks guide.

Hope this helps someone out.

Edited by MaRaud3r

FPAS page always lies. 

Attempt a dry hover at 1000AGL 

Easy to recover, even dry, wings really stop making lift close to 50KIAS so be ready to feed her the heat and go around.

Dump gas and ttry again, then make your VL with water on. 

• 1 month later...

I can't even do a VT now with 19,000lbs, water on, at sea level, and ambient temp of 25C. The engine should produce 23,8000lbs, so the fact that it can't get more than a few inches above the ground with nearly 5,000lbs in the bag is a joke. This module is nowhere near as much fun to fly anymore. I don't think I'll ever buy a Razbam module again, except maybe for the Falklands map.

The Harriers that flew the Falkands would fuel up in Germany and would take off, and stop at about 40 feet up, and the pilot would goof around by waving to us with the aircraft, with tipping the nose up and down to wave goodbye... then go back to the UK. This was 1981. It took quite a bit of fuel from there, about 400 nm in distance. So it was a full load of fuel. The harrier never foundered of looked or sounded unstable at any point. They always used the VSTOL. Always.

Edited by Ramstein
spelling

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Aircraft, no AG stores. OK to have  Gun, TPOD, DECM, AIM-9 X2, and fuel less then 1000.

Water ON landing

Combat Emergency power ON

Nozzle 84

Your power has to be almost at max thrust for AV-8B to hover out of ground effect. Ground effect is about 1/2 wingspan. Control drift by subtle, almost pressure like application to the stick. Your pitch angle should be between 4 and 5 units.

Watch your gross weight. Anything more then above, and you wont have enough power to hover or vertically land safely.

Unless landing on LHA or in confined space, Harrier is better flown to  touchdown as STOL aircraft, not a Hollywood style VTOL, which has multiple restrictions and GW limits.

Practice with empty , stripped down aircraft. No DECM pod, no GAU-12 pod, no stores of any kind, fuel below 1000. Watch your water and Jetpipe temp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:46 PM, Ramstein said:

The Harriers that flew the Falkands

If you're talking about 1980s Sea Harriers, that is literally a completely different aircraft, #1, so its relevance to THIS Harrier is near zilch.

Otherwise, this thread is pretty amusing. As always inexperienced players that skip the manual or don't take its recommendations seriously have a hard time then blame the module @@

• Like 4

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2