Quick question - glove vanes

p1t1o

Are the glove vanes (used for supersonic trim) simulated? I havent seen any mention of them in the documentation.

Related - in general, in DCS World or specifically in the F14 module, are changes in lift geometry caused by transonic and supersonic aerodynamic regimes simulated? (these changes in dynamics in the trans/sonic regimes are what make the glove vanes necessary)

8 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Are the glove vanes (used for supersonic trim) simulated? I havent seen any mention of them in the documentation.

Related - in general, in DCS World or specifically in the F14 module, are changes in lift geometry caused by transonic and supersonic aerodynamic regimes simulated? (these changes in dynamics in the trans/sonic regimes are what make the glove vanes necessary)

They are welded shut on the F-14B and our current GR135 F-14A. HB has stated they don’t plan to model it, but if they do, it will only be cosmetic in the early F-14As

• Like 2

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I don't know if I understand your question but lift forces are simulated according to speed, AoA (attitude), altitude, pressure, temperature, wing geometry and available surfaces (if damaged)...

Afaik glove vanes were only really useful for better maneuverability when supersonic which was rare case and thus rare need.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

19 minutes ago, draconus said:

I don't know if I understand your question but lift forces are simulated according to speed, AoA (attitude), altitude, pressure, temperature, wing geometry and available surfaces (if damaged)...

Afaik glove vanes were only really useful for better maneuverability when supersonic which was rare case and thus rare need.

From the one speech made by that one Grumman engineer, can’t remember his name, he said it was to help “Mach tuck” but shower to be not necessary. But as you said, it had other uses

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

are changes in lift geometry caused by transonic and supersonic aerodynamic regimes simulated

Yes, which is why for example you will experience significant Mach tuck in the Viggen at Mach ~0.9-1.1.

Just now, draconus said:

In general, centre of lift moves rearward in supersonic regime, causing tail to lift and nose to drop (this is the "Mach tuck" that others have mentioned).

Usually this is trimmed away with pitch-up moment, but this causes loss of lift, increased drag and higher stability (meaning lower manouverability). Forward vanes bring centre of lift forward again, reducing drag and maintaining manouverability.

I imagine that they deleted it as the saving did not offset the extra complexity and weight (especially since even combat aircraft tend not to spend much time above the sound barrier)

Just now, TLTeo said:

Yes, which is why for example you will experience significant Mach tuck in the Viggen at Mach ~0.9-1.1.

Noice.